Volume II of Legacy: Those Who Are Fallen, Part 2 - Cover

Volume II of Legacy: Those Who Are Fallen, Part 2

Copyright© 2023 by Uruks

Chapter 30: The End of One Battle, and the Promise of More to Come

Time also works differently here. I can see the future of your world, though for me, it feels more like the past. The Shadow Realm encompasses everything and everyone who dwell in the Physical Realm ... what you would call the universe. And then, there is a nothingness that goes perhaps even deeper than the Shadow Realm itself. He is its source, the Desolate One ... born from shadows, and now their ruler. He will be the end of everything, even darkness itself. Know this. You will have the chance to save but one person from this fate. In all this, I fear that just as the Hamashes were our bane in the past, so too will their heir be your undoing in the future.

Voices were murmuring in Rachel’s ears. Everything was ... fuzzy. She couldn’t quite recall when she fell asleep, nor if she really had fallen asleep, or simply died. She vaguely remembered the battle. The masked men known as the Fallen, mysterious and terrifying. Then a huge, skeletal beast appeared. It was the same as the three creatures that her grandma fought. She thought they had been destroyed by the Fire Minister. Her first instinct just before a massive fist slammed into her was to hide ... to use her powers of invisibility to hide herself and Éclair. She thought those giant, dead lizard things were gone. Where did it come from? Didn’t the Fire Minister kill them all? The Fire Minister? Saria? Her grandmother? That noise? That murmuring? What was that noise?

“Rachel! Rachel! Please, open your eyes, sweety! Granny’s here! Granny’s got you!” Her grandmother’s voice. Concern. Empathy. Fear. These things didn’t make sense accompanying that voice.

“Lanchester!” yelled Saria, her voice growing more commanding and tense.

“The serum is working, Saria! I know it is!” spoke another voice. Her father’s voice. Tinged with anxiety, but also hopeful. “Her vitals are stabilizing! The harmonics of the intruding antimatter are dissipating! She will make it, Saria! She will make it! I’m not gonna let anything take her away from me again! I won’t let-”

Rachel opened her eyes. She lay in Saria’s arms, feeling the shingles of her armor as the Fire Minister cradled her like a newborn child. Her father stood over her, his little droids buzzing excitedly all around him. His hair seemed messier than usual. He was sweating horribly, and his eyes were sunken as if he’d been working on a theorem all night, which she had known him to do in the past. But what struck her was the fierce look of determination on his pudgy face. Rachel had never seen her father angry in her life, but this was the closest he came to it. His features shown an unyielding kind of ferocity directed at some unknown adversary.

Then he looked away from his instruments, and the anger melted away into overwhelming relief as their eyes met. He fell to his knees, hugging both Saria and Rachel. For reasons unfathomable, Saria allowed the union as she smiled in satisfaction down at Rachel.

Slightly confused, but mostly just tired, Rachel weakly returned the hug to both her father and her grandmother. She decided she would unravel this puzzling but sweet dream later.

“Good to have you back, sis.”

Looking past her dream family, Rachel noticed Éclair smiling weakly at her while lying in a hovering, medical gurney. Grafael lay in a similar - albeit much larger - device next to her while the other members of Squad 99 gathered around. Leon slowly made his way towards her and knelt until he was eyelevel. The look of concern on his face in particular was the most satisfying for Rachel.

“We thought we lost you there for a moment.”

Rachel weakly reached out to stroke Leon’s wrist. “It’ll take more than that to get rid of me, good-looking. A few masked ghost freaks and some rampaging dino-zombie ... Piece of cake.”

Leon chuckled, taking Rachel’s hand in his own and caressing her fingers gently. Rachel couldn’t deny, all the attention she was getting in this weird dream felt pretty good.

“In light of the moment, I’m going to choose to ignore that,” Éclair murmured, though her smile never left her lips.

Rachel’s father suddenly noticed Leon’s presence. Lifting his head from Rachel’s shoulder, he leveled a look that Rachel had never seen on her father’s face.

Is that dad’s look of disapproval?

“Daddy,” started Rachel as Leon let go of her hand. “I think I heard you say something about a serum. What’s that about?”

Adjusting his spectacles and forgetting all about Leon, her dad began to explain. “Well, Little Bunny. It seemed that some residual antimatter, or Shadow Elemency as the Monks call it, stayed with you from the enemy vessel. Stayed with all of you in fact.”

He gestured to all the members of Squad 99. “The residue had little effect on the others, I think because they weren’t left unconscious in the vessel as long as you. But I digress, you and that young Saurian over there seemed to suffer the most adverse symptoms. However, his unique immune system kept him stable, so I focused most of my efforts on you. You know of my interests in applying scientific principles to Elemency. With the help of Elemental Medics and the Monks, I have been working on a formula to combat the more dangerous aspects of psionic variance, such as that of Shadow Elemency. It appears to be working as the small traces of Shadow Elemency seem to be leaving your system, so-”

“All that to say,” Saria said somewhat impatiently, though patting Rachel’s father affectionately on the arm. “When your teammates brought you here, we started losing you. Your father’s theories saved your life. Just as you and the rest of Squad 99 have saved us all.”

Saria frowned, her face perplexed as if she couldn’t believe that she was giving Andrew Lanchester praise.

“Huh,” said Rachel with a nod. Not really sure how she should take all this – Leon’s friendliness, her grandmother treating amiably with her and her father – she simply sat in silence.

Then Rachel noticed her surroundings. They seemed to be indoors, but in a crystal building with a large hole in its roof. In fact, there wasn’t much roof to speak of as the stars shined clearly above. Dozens of half-destroyed chairs and benches law strewn across a large, ruined gathering hall.

“By the by, where the heck are we?”

Saria sighed. “This was the main hall of the Crystal Palace where we were going to hold the graduation ceremony. But that seems a pipedream now. Just when I was hoping to give you kids something nice for a change.”

Saria suddenly stood, forcing Lanchester to take his daughter’s weight in full. “Now then, Eramar. I suppose I’ll have to deal with you.”


Eramar sat next to Amelia, stroking her hair gently as she slept. She hadn’t opened her eyes since the incident with Humphrey. He had reluctantly bound her with several psionic suppression ropes that glowed blue and silver on her hands and ankles. Given recent revelations, it seemed appropriate. Though, those revelations didn’t make what he would have to do next any easier.

The lines of Elemental guards that surrounded him and Amelia parted as Saria passed while being followed by Victor and the Konamay siblings. Erica Konamay seemed the most perturbed of all of them as she squabbled quietly with the Fire Minister. It was unusual to see a woman taller than Saria, but the Minister seemed no less diminished for her lack of height when compared to Erica.

“I understand your position, Lady Minister. But given that the incident originated in a District under our protection, I really must profess my-”

Saria, looking too tired to muster much anger, simply waved a hand dispassionately without turning to her verbal opponent. “This facility – what remains of it anyway – is still under Fire Ministry protection, and both prisoners are now my responsibility. I thank you for your aid in recent events, but I will not allow you to overstep your jurisdictional rights. I will mete out the proper discipline for both suspects. Now, would you please return to your Minister? He’s been buzzing me madly for an update on the two of you, and you know as well as I that Hephaestus Sorric is not a man to be kept waiting.”

Erica ground her teeth like she intended to double down on her demands, but her brother put a hand warningly to her shoulder from behind. Erica gave him a hot glare, but soon cooled as the siblings reached a silent consensus.

Robert Konamay gave a respectful bow to Saria. “Thank you, my lady Minister. We express our deepest regrets for your recent losses. I promise that the Ministry of Water will be in touch and render whatever resources needed to help you and your students recover from this crisis.”

Saria turned to face the siblings for the first time, smiling and giving a respectful nod. “Thank you, Lord Konamay. Your continued friendship means more to us than you know.”

As the two Water Wielders turned to leave, Victor cleared his throat, prompting them to pause.

“Our condolences for your losses as well. The men of the Water Ministry who gave their lives fighting evil alongside us will not be forgotten on our end. I can promise you that, Lady Konamay.”

Erica’s stone-cold façade softened instantly. “We will also honor our fallen friends from the Fire Ministry. Despite my grievances, I hope this to be only the first venture in a long and fruitful alliance.”

Erica then shook Victor’s hand, and the two seemed to look into each other’s eyes a little longer than necessary.

Konamay glanced at Eramar from behind his sister and shook his head helplessly.

Eramar gave Robert Konamay a knowing wink. Despite his own sullen circumstances, he couldn’t help a small grin. Enjoy moments of happiness wherever you can find them. They grow far too fleeting as you age. I think it was ... it was Zorron who told me that. Zorron. Could he really...

Eramar refused to indulge in that line of thinking any longer. He needed to speak to Zand before he let his mind wander too far. If recent events were any indication, then Zanderius had a lot to answer for.

The Water Wielders soon left the encirclement of Fire Elementals, and Saria approached Eramar and Amelia alone. Victor stayed back and watched Erica and Robert’s backs as they left, though Eramar guessed mostly Erica’s.

As the Fire Minister approached, Eramar drew in a sharp breath as he looked down to Amelia. Judgement day, my love. Pray that I can still help you. I’d pray myself, but I’m a little angry with God right now. I’m sure you can understand why. So try to have enough faith for the both of us.

Saria leaned down against her knees as she examined both Eramar and his prisoner. She then sighed deeply, shaking her head as she turned down to the floor. “The pickle you’ve put me in. What am I to do with you, Eramar?”

“I would think that would be obvious, my lady. Given my clear insubordination and affiliations with...” Eramar paused, struggling briefly to keep his voice even. “Affiliations with known enemies of the state ... a court-martial and a formal inquiry will be in order.”

Saria groaned. “You’re not even going to attempt to defend yourself, to give me a reason not to go through with this? Damn it, Eramar. I’ve already lost one Wielder today. Now you’re telling me that I must lose you as well.”

Eramar nodded dejectedly. “I heard about Varnus. He was young for a Wielder, but no less wise. I’m sorry I wasn’t here to help. Maybe things could have turned out differently.” Clearing his throat, Eramar segued back to his point. “But that only proves my culpability in this matter. I am no longer fit for duty. I have been ... compromised.”

Saria glanced down at Amelia’s still form. “Doctor Amelia Wilson, one of our most celebrated Medics, a Mystic sleeper agent. I wouldn’t have thought it possible, especially given her kind heart.”

Eramar stroked a hair behind Amelia’s ear as she whimpered slightly, but didn’t wake. “Her kind heart was the reason all of us were fooled, for that was genuine. That kindness of hers, at least, they weren’t able to take from her.”

It had been a long time since Eramar had been tempted to cry, but seeing Amelia in such a state almost brought it out of him. But, no. He had already shed all his tears the day Billy died. And now, Amelia’s betrayal was the final nail in the coffin of whatever remained of his tattered soul.

Saria subtly put a hand to Eramar’s arm, prompting him to slowly turn to face her. He expected her to be angry, but mostly she just seemed sad. He wished she could be angry with him. Anger always made more sense to him than sadness.

“Eramar, you still don’t understand the position you put me in. A court-martial could mean your dismissal from the council and the suppression of your powers. With Varnus’ death, that could mean the loss of two Wielders from the council. I’m strained as it is. I need my most decorated war hero to keep up morale, especially in light of recent events. I need the backing of all my Wielders to keep this Ministry from breaking apart.”

Eramar patted Saria’s hand, regretting how he had taken her for granted recently ... something she, in turn, would never do to him. “Two of the twelve seats may be vacant for the time being, but the Ministry of Fire will hold. The flames of Tava’s passion burn not just in our Minister, but in every Fire Elemental. Besides, Victor can hold things together until replacements can be found, for me and for Varnus. There are many powerful Fourths ready to take on the official ceremony and become full-fledged Wielders on the council.”

Saria bit her lip in thought. “A formal inquiry is unavoidable, I know that much. But given your contributions in stopping the Mages, I think that I can eventually prove your innocence to the council and to the Water Ministry ... maybe even get you reinstated. It may take a while, perhaps even years, but I think I can do it. If I can, I ask that you consider returning to my side; provided you issue a formal apology, and that you give your word not to undermine my authority again. And, if it’s not too much trouble, keep me in the loop when you go galivanting off on one of Zand’s ... errands.”

Eramar chuckled bitterly. “If you still insist on trusting me after everything I’ve put you through, then who am I to betray that trust yet again? But know that I will not shy away from repercussions should they come. Otherwise, I leave my fate to you. Do with me what you will.”

Saria nodded curtly, her tone becoming militaristic. “Then you will repay your debt to me with service to this Ministry. I’ll work you till you drop, Demon-Slayer. I can guarantee that much.”

Eramar closed his eyes. “If I have any favor left in your eyes, my Lady Minister, then may your servant make one request?”

Saria’s face grew pensive as she stood to her full height. “Proceed, Wielder.”

“Do not execute her. She was brainwashed into the Order of Shadow against her will. I know that now. Put her in the rehabilitation program. If it’s possible, I’d like to be able to visit her in her confinement ... under your supervision, of course.”

Eramar opened his eyes, and felt his one remaining organic eye filling with liquid. “I don’t know if it will do any good. Cases rarely recover from this level of mental torture. Just please, give me the chance to ... to try to salvage anything that’s left of the woman I love.”

Saria’s expression went blank as her eyes swiveled coldly between him and Amelia.

Her silence prompted Eramar to inquire meekly, “My lady?”

For the longest time, Saria did not answer, but simply crossed her arms and stared down at Eramar and Amelia. Finally, when Eramar thought he could stand the silence no more, Saria opened her mouth to speak softly.

“Don’t call me ‘my lady’.”


Ryan watched the Minister leave muttering something. He thought she said something about Eramar, but didn’t know for sure. He was too distracted at the moment anyway to give it much thought. He wasn’t even paying attention to how the other students of the exam swooned over him and the other members of Squad 99. At any other time, he’d be elated to get so much attention and acceptance from his fellow Elementals, but something more urgent had been on his mind since leaving to find the Fallen. He needed to find...

There she is!

When Hannah caught sight of him, she pushed past her Monk escorts who hesitantly stood aside. She was limping. Her condition had returned. Ryan had known for a long time now. She had pushed herself too far.

With his teammates engrossed in conversations with other students, Ryan subtly made his getaway from the younger Elementals. It pained him to leave Éclair’s side, but the Medics said that she would be fine. Both Rachel and Grafael were on the mend as well, so at least he wouldn’t lose any more friends today.

Just before Hannah reached him, she coughed loudly and fell to her knees. Ryan and the Monks all knelt down with her in concern. Wiping a spot of blood from her lips, she shooed them away in annoyance.

Smiling wanly, Hannah croaked out, “Moron! You were supposed to be safe and unconscious by now.”

Ryan laughed. “Says the lady coughing up blood after fighting an army of ghosts. I don’t think you can call me ‘moron’ anymore after pulling a stunt like that, Auntie Hannah.”

They both shared a laugh as Hannah took hold of Ryan’s shoulder, half for affection and half for support as she tittered slightly.

Ryan drew in for a hug with Hannah when a screeching voice belated their familial interactions.

“Lady Lioness!”

A finely dressed woman was leading a procession of other snappy dressers, probably nobility and diplomats. Ryan knew the sort from encounters with Lord Gregory.

“Lady Lioness!” shrieked the woman yet again in an annoyingly screechy voice, her long hair spindly and disheveled. She and her entourage drew to a halt, all glowering down at the High Priestess.

Hannah drew up to her full height, though Ryan assisted her rise. She thanked him and shooed him back as she faced the nobles alone. Ryan found his temper rising at the accusatory looks the nobles were giving her. He doubted he’d be able to keep his anger in check if they continued to harass Hannah in her delicate condition.

“Lioness! As you represent the Monastery here on Galsin, you are effectively our host. Therefore, we hold you and the Monks personally responsible for this affront!” A round of muttered agreements rang out amongst the politicians.

“Lady Ashfort,” said one of the male Monks at Hannah’s, his tone polite. “We understand your frustrations, but please, we ask that you keep your tone civil, and address the High Priestess by her title.”

The woman, Ashfort, frowned at the man, but then nodded as she confronted Hannah once again. “Very well, then. Priestess Lioness. We have it on good authority that both the Monks and the Fire Elementals had suspicions that an attack on this moon was imminent, yet you did nothing to warn the coming dignitaries of said-”

“You were all strongly cautioned of encroaching dangers to this moon before leaving Tarrus. The Fire Minister and I made sure of that,” interrupted Hannah before sighing heavily as she rubbed the top of her nose. “In point of fact, we heavily suggested that you and the other dignitaries remain planeside until the threat could be dealt with, along with all the civilians you brought with you. But you personally insisted on, and I quote, ‘a need to protect my investments’. I believe you were referring to negotiations of a new trade deal of Sun Gems you wished to procure with the Fire Minister during the exams. You were hoping to gauge the Fire Ministry’s demand by the number and the power level of the graduating candidates, I take it. Admirable, though I doubt those were your only reasons for coming here despite our warnings.”

Ryan’s head spun a little as he tried to make sense of all the political maneuverings here. When he failed to, he simply contented himself with staying angry at the people accusing his friend.

The woman gasped loudly as an endorsement of outrage resonated amongst her peers. “The gall you have, to try and spin this on me. I doubt the public will see it that way when they hear how you put us all in danger with your incompetence and lack of-”

“Moral ambiguity, I believe is the correct phrase you’re searching for, Lady Ashfort,” said a familiar voice.

Stunned silence and then gasps of recognition resounded as the nobleman parted for a newcomer. Even Lady Ashfort seemed properly cowed.

“David,” Ryan couldn’t help but exclaim as the Viceroy of the Tarrus Empire stepped forward.

David Kavic nodded towards Ryan and winked. “Good to see you again, Ryan.”

Once again, Ryan was struck by the utter sincerity that emanated from this man, something that seemed impossible for a politician.

Lady Ashfort gave Ryan a brief glance of startled surprise before bowing reverently to Kavic. “My Lord Viceroy. I was just expressing to the High Priestess here my feelings of-”

“Gratitude I should hope, my dear lady,” interjected David once again. His tone was courteous, but firm. “Given how many Monks and Elementals lost their lives protecting our sorry hides. I would think that well-earned commendations would be heaped upon these brave people. In fact, I shall personally recommend honors be given to all of them by the Emperor himself.”

The atmosphere among the nobles changed immediately as they acknowledged, with clear hesitation, the number of lives lost in their protection.

Only Lady Ashfort offered any resistance, though that too seemed to be waning. “But-but, my Lord Viceroy. While I do, of course, express my deepest sympathies for the lives lost, and, of course, am very grateful to the Elementals and Monks who ... who combated the threat, I still feel that we should’ve been given more due warning before they allowed us to come here to witness the Exam graduations.”

David smiled in a disarming and almost fatherly manner, which was strange considering that the lady appeared a great deal older than him. “My dear Lady Ashfort. You know as well as I that would’ve been nigh impossible. The Emperor himself insisted on our presence here, and made sanctions to ensure it. His mistrust of both Monks and Fire Elementals is well known. As soon as they beefed up security of the moon, and urged for more privacy in their exams, he assumed they were trying to hide something from him. I am ashamed to admit, but our presence here was not merely economical, but a matter of political espionage.”

Both Ryan and Hannah jerked back. To think that the right hand of the Emperor would admit something so incriminating about his superior.

A slight squeal escaped Lady Ashfort’s lips as she opened her mouth to say something, but promptly forgot how to speak.

“And yet, despite our meddling, despite the inconvenience we caused to our hosts, they performed above and beyond their duty to keep us all safe, and at great cost of their lives no less,” continued David Kavic calmly.

One of the noblemen, a tall, older man with dark skin and a thin white beard, shrugged and said meekly. “It’s true. Though the death toll for the Monks and the Elementals has been catastrophic, there have been few civilian casualties reported on our end.”

An older woman standing next to the old man nodded earnestly and said, “None of my friends have been killed. None of the press or tourists who accompanied us either. Those poor things. They must have been frightened out of their minds.”

A pretty, younger woman scoffed. “No less than I was. At least until that big Elemental with a scythe showed up. The one in Water Ministry armor.” Her gaze became glassy-eyed. “He was so handsome, like something out of a fairytale. He fought those shadow things head-on by himself, even while his comrades died all around him.”

That gave Ryan pause. Big Water Elemental with a scythe? Where have I heard of that guy before?

Amazingly, quite a few of the younger noblewomen sighed in unison at the mention of the Water Elemental. There seemed to be a great deal of synchronicity to women, Ryan thought; at least when it came to matters of the heart.

Lady Ashfort rubbed her arm uncomfortably before giving a small smile, almost to herself. “He was a rather handsome brute, wasn’t he?”

The woman then sighed and turned her attention back to Hannah Lioness. “I see the Viceroy’s point, and am humbled by it. Priestess, would you accept my apology and allow me to sojourn so that we may continue this conversation on a later date ... perhaps when the both of us have been granted some well-needed rest and cooler heads may prevail?”

Hannah managed a weak laugh and a polite dip of her head before saying, “I think rest would do many of us a great deal of good at this point. Thank you, my Lady Ashfort. May the Caretaker grant you safe journeys.”

The noblewoman and her entourage gave a series of polite bows and curtsies. They did so with the Viceroy, Hannah, and surprisingly, to Ryan as well, though he couldn’t imagine why.

Ryan was just about to quietly insist that Hannah be taken to the medical wing when she turned to David and extended a hand. “My thanks to you, Lord Viceroy. I wasn’t aware of your sympathies for the Monastery until now.”

David gave a meek nod. “Nor was I, my Lady Priestess. But recent events have made me infinitely aware of the value of Monks and Elementals, both of whom seem to have a propensity for saving my life as of late.”

For some reason, David didn’t seem to notice the hand that Hannah had extended as he studied her face intently. When he finally glanced down, he stuttered an apology and quickly took the proffered hand. This was perhaps one of the few instances that Ryan had ever seen Kavic display nervousness, though he couldn’t imagine why. True, Hannah had a high station as a Priestess, but dealing with influential Psionic Users was hardly a new experience for David Kavic.

As the two shook hands, Ryan waited patiently to be acknowledged. It also struck him as slightly strange the way Hannah and David seemed to stare at one another for so long.

“You seem to be familiar with this little moron, here. I’m curious as to how he managed such an illustrious friend,” Hannah, asked, her voice slightly dazed.

“Hey,” said Ryan.

David chortled under his breath. “I could say the same of you, Lady Priestess. How a young First comes by acquaintances like us is rather beyond me.”

Hannah smiled deeply. “Though not beyond the Caretaker. His will in is everything, even in this meeting I’d wager.”

The handshake lingered just a bit longer than necessary before both finally caught themselves and released hands.

“You guys are acting weird,” observed Ryan. “Is this just what happens when two different circles of friends meet?”

“No doubt, dear Ryan,” agreed Kavic as he gave Ryan a friendly squeeze on the shoulder.

After giving a polite bow to Hannah, the Viceroy turned to leave.

“Viceroy,” said Hannah, almost urgently.

Kavic turned back in surprise.

“Do I know you? I ... I can’t explain it, but I feel as if we have met somewhere before.”

Kavic smiled warmly. “I often get that feeling with people that will be significant to me. I got that feeling when I met Ryan, and his string of accomplishments have given me no reason to doubt it. Perhaps you could chalk it up to divine intervention from your ‘Caretaker’.”

Kavic then cleared his throat and sleeked back his slightly disheveled blond hair which was usually much more orderly. “But, no. I don’t believe we know each other. I wish to remedy that as, going forward, I hope both the Ministry of Fire and the Monastery may consider me a fervent ally in their goals for peace in the universe.”

Forgetting herself as if caught in a trance of some kind, Hannah just stood there gawking at the Viceroy. Feeling the awkwardness of the moment, Ryan gave Hannah a gentle shove with his shoulder, which seemed to waken her from her stupor.

“Y-yes! Yes! I will look forward to working with you in the future, Viceroy. I believe this day to be a stepping stone for good relations between the Monastery, the Fire Ministry, and the nobility. By the Caretaker’s Light, may we all grow in strength and wisdom together ... ushering in an age of trust in place of one of paranoia.”

The Viceroy gave a respectful nod that almost turned into another bow. “In that, we are in the deepest of agreements ... Priestess.”

The Viceroy lingered just a little longer, almost as if in the same trance as Hannah. And then, abruptly, he followed after the other diplomats while escorted by Elemental guards.

Hannah stared after him when he left with the strangest look on her face.

Does she have a thing for him? thought Ryan to himself. I mean, I guess that’s possible. He does kind of have that suave air about him. But I didn’t think Hannah cared about that kind of stuff.

“Auntie, you okay?”

Hannah finally broke her gaze from Kavic’s back and patted Ryan’s hand. “Yes. Yes, of course. I think it’s just ... everything that’s happened. I’m tired, that’s all. No need to worry yourself, moron. You have too few brain cells as is to waste them worrying about a silly old goat like me.”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close