Volume II of Legacy: Those Who Are Fallen, Part 2 - Cover

Volume II of Legacy: Those Who Are Fallen, Part 2

Copyright© 2023 by Uruks

Chapter 24: A New Quest Begins

If you doubt me in this, then you should also know one more thing. The knowledge I give to you comes not just from the Desolate One, but from the creatures who first bestowed on him his power to wield the darkness of the Lord Corruptor in our realm. This knowledge comes from the Shadow Wraiths themselves, the very progenitors of our clan.

Ryan opened his eyes to find nothing but darkness. He blinked, wondering if something was affecting his vision. Again, he could see nothing. Fortunately, he could hear the muffled cries of alarm and heavy breathing of his companions, otherwise, he might’ve started panicking. In fact, he probably would start panicking anyway if nobody said anything.

“Is everyone here?” asked Ryan, hoping this wouldn’t turn out like his weird dream where he asked for his friends only to hear the voices of strangers. They said some really bizarre stuff in those kinds of dreams, things he probably shouldn’t repeat when Éclair was around.

“Yowch!” he heard Torsha cry out. “Tork! That was my tail!”

“Sorry, muffin cake,” the Dragon apologized.

“This floor feels strange on this one’s feet,” growled Mozar. “It feels fleshy and warm.”

“That’s because you’re standing on MY tail, mongrel,” grunted Grafael.

Ryan heard a thud, as if someone’s body just hit the floor. He imagined Mozar tumbling to the ground as Grafael yanked his tail out from under him like the time that Ryan made the mistake of stepping on the Saurian’s tail.

The Werewolf gave a guttural growl, but it didn’t turn into a fight. “That explains the stench.”

Ryan heard Grafael huff. “Since it was an accident, I will refrain from Vorruck for now, but you would do well not to make the same mistake again.”

“Oh, that’s real nice Grafy,” said Ryan, feeling a twinge of jealous outrage. “When I step on your tail, you cry bloody murder and beat me to a pulp. But when a psychotic Werewolf that we barely know does it, you let ‘em off the hook.”

“You are a warrior, little brother, not a whiner. Besides, one such as him would not learn anything from a beating. He is not an honorable warrior like you or I,” replied Grafael nonchalantly.

Ryan couldn’t help a slight blush, and for once felt glad for the darkness. “Oh, shucks. I can never stay mad at you, big guy. Not when you know how to butter me up so good.”

“Not to mention the fact that we currently find ourselves in enemy territory, making such barbarism interminably inappropriate given the circumstances,” Ryan heard the Sage say sardonically.

Ryan shrugged, and mumbled, “Well, yeah. There’s that too, I guess ... if you wanna take the fun out of everything.”

Kormal sighed loudly, then said, “Sister Torsha, if you please.”

Ryan heard a slight grunt of concentration from the she-wolf, and then a bright, white light illuminated the darkness. He blinked several times until his sight adapted to the brightness. A small orb of pure white light floated in the palm of Torsha’s hand. Several members also activated switches on their wrist communicators, further illuminating the dark corridor. The whole group was accounted for. Ryan blew out a sigh of relief. No one had been taken by ... whatever that thing was on the other side of the Gateway.

They stood in a metallic hallway, obviously a vessel of some kind. The walls were black and coated with splotches of brown and gray rust. Cobwebs covered nearly every inch of the metal structure. The floor was rough with chipped paint and covered with dust. Particles of dust also floated in the air. The hallway was cylindrical in shape, but other than that, there wasn’t much else to describe. If this was a ship, it was by far the dirtiest ship Ryan had ever seen. Most vessels he’d seen were always scrubbed neat and clean from top to bottom, giving off a very futuristic, pristine vibe. This place looked seedy and ancient, like the exact opposite one would expect from a starcraft capable of traveling between different solar systems.

“Are you sure this is the right place, Sage?” asked Rachel. “It doesn’t look like anything living has been here for years.”

“That’s because nothing living has been here for years,” answered the Sage, his black eyes searching the corridor for anything out of the ordinary. “This is the domain of the Fallen. From what you know of them, would you count them among the living?”

Rachel didn’t answer, but Ryan’s mind suddenly reeled with questions. He reasoned that Kormal was one of those wise, all-knowing types like that Zand guy with the dog. Pegging out the kind of people who just knew things had become an artform for Ryan.

“So, these Fallen guys,” started Ryan, turning to Kormal. “Do they have something to do with that big ghost thing that tried to eat us before we jumped through the portal?”

The Sage didn’t answer right away, but Ryan wasn’t about to let him off the hook.

“Just what was that thing anyway?”

After an insufferably long wait, the Sage finally said grimly, “Something you should hope never to see again.”

“And ... the Fallen. What exactly are they?” asked Rachel hesitantly.

“Also something you should hope not to see again,” answered the Werewolf with a growl.

“Great. Now he tells us after we jump onto their freakin’ ship,” grumbled Rachel.

Ryan wasn’t sure if he liked the way that the older Werewolf and the Sage seemed a bit chummy with one another, albeit in a ‘I’d like to strangle you’ kind of way.

“Since the Gateway is no longer here,” continued the Sage matter-of-factly. “We should assume that it has been destroyed at the source. Therefore, our only means of escape will be the alternative plan we discussed before interrogating the Mystic. Elemental Kaves. Proceed.”

“Oh! Uh, right,” stuttered a surprised Rachel as she activated something on her wrist communicator. Her wrist began flashing with a persistent red light. “The signal is going through without interference. As surmised, the Fallen cannot shield outgoing signals while their ship is in stealth flight. To do that, they’d have to raise their shields and risk detection.”

“That’s assuming this bucket even has shields,” commented Ryan. “Seriously. What’s holding this heap together other than chewing gum and duct tape?”

“Power, young Uruks,” said the Sage. “Ancient powers the likes of which none of us can fully understand. Not many people know this, but it was not technology that first propelled sentient life to travel the stars as was the case with humans. It was a supernatural power older than the Ministries themselves.”

Mozar gave another growl that was almost a bark. “No wonder your people started calling themselves Sages. You’re all smug know-it-alls. Let’s just get on with it already.”

“Of course,” acknowledged the Sage. “Just as soon as Ryan finds our bearings.”

Everyone stared incredulously at Ryan.

“Say what?” exclaimed Ryan, already feeling pressured by the newfound attention. “Do I look like the kind of guy you want to ask for directions? I still have to use the GPS on my communicator just to get around the Fire Ministry, and I freakin’ live there!”

“This is the reason why you were chosen for this mission despite the enemy’s apparent interest in you. You were the one who determined that the Fallen had Leon and Éclair on their person somewhere. It wasn’t just Kevla’s telepathic aid, but it was the bond you shared with your teammates. Perhaps something cultivated from the extensive mental bond you shared with Leon. You also formed a similar bond with Éclair when you fed off her psions to escape the blast of the Omega Missile last year.”

Ryan’s neck muscles tightened. Something the Sage said had him on edge. “Wait a minute! How do you even know about all that?”

The Sage took a step towards Ryan so suddenly that he felt himself take a step back by reflex. “It doesn’t matter how I know. All that matters is that I am right and you know it. Time is short, my young friend. I allowed you to come despite the danger to my daughter for this very purpose. Do not belittle her sacrifice now by hesitating!”

Ryan struggled for a reply, but found none as his throat went dry. He quickly realized that all attention had shifted to him.

“Well?” growled Mozar impatiently.

Ryan sought out Kevla for aid. Well, Kevla. Think we can do it?

I’ve already been trying,” she explained in consternation. I can sense ... something here. I’m not sure if it’s your friends or not. There’s something in the air here. Something old and angry ... full of resentment. The residue of the Fallen’s malice perhaps. I doubt even my father could see through this muck. If he’s right, then the only way I’ll be able you find your friends is if you help me.

I was afraid you’d say that. No pressure, or anything. Just the fate of everyone I know and love hanging in the balance ... again.

Ryan closed his eyes and concentrated. Kevla made a comment that he didn’t have to do that, but he ignored her. He felt his way ahead. He felt what Kevla described. A crippling sense of loneliness and anger hung in the air. It’s what led to the state of disrepair throughout the ship. It was also that very same anger that held the structure together somehow. Ironic how the thing that was the source of the vessel’s rot also enabled it to exist. And then he heard it. A voice calling to him from the darkness. He’d follow that voice anywhere. To the ends of the universe if he had to.

Ryan, called the weak voice of Éclair.

Ryan opened his eyes and everyone flinched back at his sudden intensity. “I know where they are. Follow me.”


Hannah prayed. Even as she felt terror to the core of her soul, she prayed. Even as her insides writhed from the stress endured by her already failing body, she prayed. Even as she pitted her dwindling strength and will against a being that defied reality with its very existence, she prayed.

Caretaker, give me strength. If this is to be my last battle, at least grant me the power to save these souls ... and see dear little Ryan one last time if I can. If not, then at least thank you for setting me down the right path. I await your embrace should you call me forth.

The ship teetered, its shield’s failing even as Hannah sent tendrils of light coursing through the vessel to give it strength and stability. The vessel was not small, nearly the size of a small office building, and yet it was tossed about like a toy beneath the blows of the skull-faced Shadow Wraith. Thisimius fired plasma missiles and lasers at the phantom again and again, but the arsenal, which would’ve reduced a mountain to rubble, simply passed through the creature as if it weren’t there at all. The demonic entity laughed in a shrill voice at their efforts, raising a fist shrouded in black flames and battering Hannah’s faltering shield.

Hannah coughed up blood, but kept her hands extended despite the pain, refusing to let her power drain from the ship even for an instant. Thisimius put the vessel in a sharp dive, choosing wisely to flee rather than face the wrath of the Shadow Wraith. The ship lurched, and if Hannah hadn’t already emptied her stomach, she might’ve vomited.

The shaking stopped momentarily, but Hannah could already sense the horrid creature giving pursuit. It felt like running from a tsunami, a wave of filthy, murky water already filled to the brink with rotting corpses.

“That blighter’s on us!” screamed Thisy. “I dinnae ken how the devil can keep up at these speeds!”

“Because a devil is exactly what it is,” Hannah said as a plan began to formulate. “Any chance you can outrun it for just a little bit longer?”

“I’ll do the best I can, lassie, but I’m already pushin’ the engines to the maximum safety limits within a planet’s atmosphere!”

Dr. Lanchester suddenly took Hannah forcibly by her shoulders. “Priestess, being of man science, I’ve never given much thought to an afterlife! But given the circumstances, would you mind saying a word on my behalf? Though statistically unprovable the Realm of Light may be, I suppose it couldn’t hurt! Especially considering what a crappy dad I’ve been to-”

Hannah took the panicking man by the hand, feeding him some of her light. He calmed almost immediately, and she gave him a warm smile.

Lanchester gaped in awe as Hannah unbuckled herself and went to the back of the transport.

“Thisy! I need a direct line of sight on that thing to use Light Elemency! Open the cargo doors at the rear and disperse the shields there as well!”

The Ogre nodded. “Aye, lass! Just strap yerself in tight, or you’ll be sucked out faster than fleeing pig at a banquet!”

Dashing through the snug cabin of the ship, Hannah ducked into the cargo bay. Within seconds, she fastened emergency bungees around herself, used for the purpose of drop-offs without landing. She could feel the Shadow Wraith just beyond the metal doorway. She gave Thisy the signal through her wrist communicator, and the portal slid open. Immediately, she was buffeted by the wind as her body lurched towards the opening, but that was hardly the worst of it. A wave of darkness rushed in on her as soon as the metal door opened. Hannah summoned her Corruck, holding it in both hands and unleashing all her power.

“BY THE CARETAKER’S LOVE, YOU SHALL NOT HAVE THESE INNOCENTS!”

Shadow and light clashed. Even as she fought the Shadow Wraith, shooting streams of light from her entire body and from her Corruck, the creature laughed its hideous laugh at her expense. Hannah screamed, feeling like her whole body was on fire. She had already used the Caretaker’s gift to its limit, but even now asked for more.

Please! Help me! she prayed.

The shadows had nearly engulfed her with only a small veil of light from her Corruck keeping them at bay. And then, she felt it. A rush of power greater than any she had ever felt before. Something was near that gave her strength. Something that wasn’t completely light, but still held more light than darkness. More love than hate.

With a grunt of exertion, Hannah sent a beam of light so dense that it seemed solid straight through the shadows. There was an inhuman shriek of anguish, and then the shadows receded. Hannah slumped to the metal floor, nearly passing out as she dimly saw the Shadow Wraith hovering just a few meters away from the rear of the ship. It was nursing a small point of burning white flames on its shoulders. Hannah guessed that’s where her light had hit it.

Then the skull-faced creature glared at her, its sunken red eyes glowing brighter with unadulterated malice. It lurched forward, putting on a burst of speed that allowed it to latch on to the opened portal. Hannah tried to summon more light, but found herself too exhausted to even get out a whiff.

The creature reached for her, but then flinched back as orange flames bathed its backside. The flames were sucked in by the point of light by some kind of reaction that Hannah did not understand. The point of light coalesced with the fires, expanded, and then exploded, destroying the dark form of the Shadow Wraith utterly.

Hannah closed her eyes for only the briefest second according to her recollection, but when she came too, she saw Saria shaking her awake and looking absolutely furious.

“Don’t you die on me, Lioness! I already broke my promise to that blasted Elf and let too many people die already today! Well, you’re not going to be one of them! You hear me, brat!”

“Saria,” crooned Hannah shakily, looking out the open portal as wind continued to tug at her body. Saria stayed firm on the ground thanks to the magnetic boots on her Psionic Armor. That, or Saria simply refused to allow the laws of physics to affect her. Wouldn’t be the first time.

“What did you do to it?”

Saria pulled Hannah upright by her shoulders, the wind splaying her brown hair and her golden cape all around. “I was about to ask you the same thing. I’ve only managed to destroy two of those things so far, but never that easily. It was like my flames fed the light that you sent into that thing.”

“Flames fed the light,” repeated Hannah wearily. A thought was brewing somewhere, but she didn’t have the wherewithal to put her idea into words. Her head ached so much. She just wanted to lie down and sleep.

“Lady Minister!” called the voice of Thisimius from the ship’s comm unit. “I hate to be the bearer of more bad news, but the Ecclesiastes is on its last legs! We got hundreds of Elementals and Light Monks from the fleet pounding away at them buggers, but they ain’t making a dent! Least as I can tell, yer the only one who’s even managed to kill a few of ‘em! The Light Monks can hurt ‘em, but that’s all they seem able to do!”

Saria made a sound very reminiscent of a lion and stormed off to the portal. “I’ll do what I can, but between the black flames and these damn phantoms, even I can’t ... That old codger’s plan better work out soon, or they’ll be no one on this moon left to save!”

Finally the thought came to Hannah. Before the Fire Minister could leap from the portal and out into the open sky, Hannah grabbed her by her cape. It took what little strength she had left, but she managed to give the cape enough of a tug to hold Saria in place.

“Saria! That’s it! Your fires fed my light! When you got closer, my Light Elemency got stronger! And when you attacked the Shadow Wraith with Fire Elemency, the flames reacted to my Light Elemency, and finished it off!”

“We’ve established that my power can defeat these monsters,” Saria said. “But it doesn’t help when I can only destroy them one at a time with immense effort, and more are still coming out of the black flames!”

“I don’t think it’s your powers as a Vessel that’s important here, but rather the way that Light Elemency reacts to Fire Elemency! Don’t you see?! Light Monks have the power to dampen psions, but the reverse is true as well! Or rather, Elementals can strengthen our light, and we can strengthen your fire attacks! My Light Monks can hurt these creatures, but they don’t have the power to finish them off! They don’t have the stamina or the psions of trained, battle-hardened Elementals! We’ve already established that Shadow Elemency can be dampened by combining different elements! Imagine what we could do if your Fire Elementals attacked in tandem with my Light Monks as a single force instead of fighting independently?”

A slow smile spread across Saria’s lips. “What did you have in mind, my former pupil?”


Ryan felt his way forward. He hardly bothered looking with his eyes anymore. If he had, he would have noted the monotone design of the ship’s infrastructure. Multiple hallways splintered off different points reminiscent of underground tunnels. Some tunnels went up, some curved downward. There seemed to be no lifts or even stairs leading to different levels. It was all a jumbled maze with no rhyme or reason, reminding Ryan of a burrowing insect farm his mother had given him as a child. He ended up using the insects in a prank that involved stashing them in Henry’s pants, but he still remembered the strange zigzag patterns the bugs made while digging in the dirt he supplied them in their tiny, see-through container. In fact, Ryan felt a lot like one of those insects now, that he was somehow trapped in a small container while a much larger and powerful entity with the temperament of a child watched him and held him prisoner. Kevla assented that she more or less felt the same about their current circumstances. A none too pleasant thought, but one which they both pushed down as they focused on Éclair and Leon’s aura.

As he led the group silently in the dark, the round hallways contributed to a sense of claustrophobia. More than once, Ryan asked the group not to crowd him so as not to feel boxed in, but also maintained that they must stay close so as not to be separated. Truthfully though, Ryan wondered at his ability to remain sane in a place like this if he were left alone for even a moment. Not even Kevla’s presence in his mind would detract from the overwhelming sense of gloom pervaded by this spooky vessel. Occasionally, Mozar would grumble something under his breath about being led around in circles by an infant, but this was always followed by a glare from Torsha or Kormal that quieted his complaints. Although, a part of Ryan wondered at the validity of the Werewolf’s complaints.

“It feels like we’ve been walking around for hours, but it couldn’t have been more than a few minutes,” commented Tork nervously as he stayed close to Torsha. “Or has it been the other way around? It’s becoming increasingly difficult to tell time in this place.”

It was left silent as to whether that was by design. Though no one voiced that concern out loud, Kevla confirmed that the thought passed through the minds of most everyone in the company.

As they came to a crossroads between three corridors, Ryan and Kevla had to concentrate hard to get their bearings. They had become so accustomed to working together that it came naturally now without the need for acknowledgement. Ryan wondered if this was a good sign or a bad sign in their mental bond with each other, and Kevla more or less agreed with the sentiment. They both subtly put down the idea that their psyches were merging to the point that they would cease to be individuals and become a new entity entirely. As much as Ryan liked and empathized with Kevla, he didn’t like the idea of ceasing to be who he was to make way for her psyche. They were finally able to come to a decision and choose the path that most strongly emanated Éclair’s and Leon’s unique mental auras.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close