Volume II of Legacy: Those Who Are Fallen, Part 2 - Cover

Volume II of Legacy: Those Who Are Fallen, Part 2

Copyright© 2023 by Uruks

Chapter 16: Tava Unleashed

You are special, my son. More so than you can ever imagine. It is possible that you are one of Three Children of Destiny. Which means that an age of great change is approaching the universe. An age known as a Reckoning. You will be one of those who acts as a catalyst for this new age. Someone who will mold the universe to your liking.

Saria let the anger flow through her. Let it pour into every crevice of her being. For too long, she’d been afraid to let this power loose. Terrified to let Tava’s anger wash over her. She no longer feared that. Not since the surgery. She could feel it. That fool, Lanchester, had actually achieved what he promised. She felt closer to Tava than ever. But more than that, she knew the limits of their abilities better than she ever had before. She knew just how much power to exert so that only those she wished to punish would feel her wrath. She was no longer a danger to her children. Only her enemies.

The masked men took one last look at her, and then fled away. They transformed into wisps of black smoke. Saria recognized the form, or at least Tava did.

I remember these traitors, he growled into her mind.

For once, Saria didn’t feel pain or annoyance at Tava’s rumbling voice. In fact, she was almost overjoyed to hear him again. He wanted those creatures’ blood almost as much as she did. That is, if they did bleed. She’d know soon enough.

I have longed for many eons to skin their traitorous hides, said Tava. They insulted my grandfather. Brought shame and dishonor to all our kind. I will never forgive them for what they have done!

In that, we are agreed.

She set out in pursuit, Tava’s power and her own radiating all around her, coalescing in a beautiful symphony of power. To any onlooker, it appeared that a tornado of orange energy spiraled all around her. Fire and electricity ran up her right arm and her left. Magma drippled from her boots as she flew over the ground.

Before she could commit to the chase, she noticed something. A slight irritation she felt on her back, like the tiny pinpricks of mosquitos. Saria turned a casual gaze behind and saw that the small group of surviving Space Pirates had decided to fire on her. As her body naturally absorbed and dispersed the energy shots from their rifles, she felt little more than a slight itching sensation as hundreds of laser bolts bounced harmlessly off her armor.

Saria was in no mood to take prisoners. She raised a hand, and both she and Tava spoke in a unified voice. “Begone!”

In an instant, a little less than a hundred Space Pirates disintegrated into nothingness. Even their energy fields fizzled out into oblivion. She didn’t even bother using a fire attack. She simply raised the temperature around the area they had gathered. Within an instant, they experienced a warped portion of the atmosphere that surpassed the heat of a sun. How nice of them to bunch together in one place like that.

Every Elemental on the field, her children, her precious cubs, looked up at her and saluted her in respect. Saria returned the salute, feeling more love and admiration for her brave charges than ever before.

Saria resumed the chase. The four wisps of black smoke had gone a goodly distance, already a few miles away as they sped to the opposite end of the field. They weren’t far enough.

Let’s finish them! she told Tava, and he roared a hearty agreement.

She felt hungry for the kill. Hungry for their blood. Just like any lion, she felt the thrill of the hunt overtake her. There was more than one reason that Tava took on the form of a lion. A bit of himself had been imprinted on every predator at the dawn of creation. The killing instinct of a thousand species of hunting cats coursed through her body. She relished in her thirst for prey. Her sheer need of it. And so did Tava. To think that she actually considered him a burden. This was the most wonderous feeling imaginable.

I never thought I’d say this, little cub. But it gladdens my heart to feel your soul intertwine with my own again, Tava said in a rare moment of encouragement.

I, started Saria, finding it difficult to get the words out. I guess I missed you too, you big stupid cat. At least a little.

The Lion Spirit’s rumbling laughter echoed through Saria’s mind, and she smiled.


First of the Fallen screeched in fear as another fireball ripped the earth asunder just a few paces from him. The Vessel was recklessly summoning powers that gave even him pause. Powers that could destroy more than their current bodies if he wasn’t careful. Everything had gone horribly wrong. How could he have forgotten the sheer rage of Tava, the Great Lion Spirit? It was rare that First of the Fallen felt truly afraid. He thought only his master and the Light Wielder could put this kind of terror into him. He was mistaken.

They tried in vain to escape, racing across the whole of the facility. She kept pace with them at every turn, flying behind them and bathed in Tava’s horrifying flames. Even when they tried to leave the atmosphere at the speed of light, she blocked their escape with her flames. Her cursed Elementals followed as well, harrowing the Fallen without end with their small but infuriating fire and lightning attacks. They seemed to be everywhere. Hundreds of Elementals. Thousands of them. Even at their full strength, the Fallen would have difficulty handling that many, let alone the Vessel of Tava himself.

“We cannot escape! We should disperse and just allow them to destroy these bodies! We can always find more!” cried Fourth, unsurprisingly turning to cowardice.

“No!” yelled First. “Then we’d have to give up the two Children of Destiny! I refuse to return to the master emptyhanded! Not when we are so close to fulfilling our contracts and being set free!”

“Tava’s Vessel is not giving us much choice!” argued Fourth.

As if to reiterate Fourth’s complaints, a wall of orange flame appeared in front of them, barring yet another escape point from the facility. The Fallen doubled back, pushing their wraith forms for all their worth as they sped over the ground at unimaginable speeds. They wouldn’t be able to keep this up for long. They had already expended too much in their previous battles. Plus, they were in enemy territory without a means of replenishing their reserves of Dark Water and the souls that sustained their existence.

Hissing to himself, First said slowly. “Summon the Undying!”

He could feel Fourth regarding him incredulously, even in his wraith form. “But what if they have yet to complete their mission?”

“It’s been more than enough time! Surely the abomination is dead by now!”

“But even the Undying cannot avail a Vessel!”

“Then send them into a blood frenzy!” retorted First, tired of Fourth’s arguments.

Fourth screeched in irritation. “We won’t be able to control them! They are just as likely to attack us in that state!”

“We don’t need to control them! Just unleash them! They are still warriors in their hearts! They will naturally be drawn to the strongest fighter in the vicinity, and that is the Vessel! Besides, they need only distract her for a short time, and then the Shadow Realm will take this place as planned, and we will escape in the chaos!”


On your left, Ryan! warned Kevla in Ryan’s mind.

Ryan barely avoided the grab from the massive, bony claw of the Berserker. When it missed him, it grabbed a column of stone nearby, reducing it to dust. Ryan willed around and drenched the creature in lava that shot from the tip of his sword. As the Magma solidified, it held the creature in place, at least for a short time. He’d tried that trick before, and it neither destroyed the monsters, nor stopped them for very long, but it seemed more effective than his other powers. As the creature struggled against its restraints and slowly sloshed through the broiling magma at its feet, Ryan went to join the others who fought against the other two.

Thanks again, Kevla, said Ryan to his new companion whom he could only hope was not just another imaginary voice in his head. That’s probably the umpteenth time you’ve saved my life during this fight.

If you die, I die, Ryan. And I have too much to live for right now to let that happen again.

A Berserker gave a roar, smashing the ground so hard with both fists that it cracked the earth, causing some of the nearby structures to shake and crumble to pieces. Debris full of bricks and bits of metal fell towards some of the examinees. With Kevla guiding his hand, Ryan redirected the falling debris away from the examinees and towards the Berserkers using telekinesis.

Explosion Logan used the distraction from the debris to blast a Berserker in the face with his combustion orbs shot from his Psionic Pistol. While the Berserker was dazed, Grafael tripped it using his tail, sending the gigantic beast falling back and shaking the earth with its impact.

How are you doing that?! I’m not a Mental-Type. I’ve never even practiced this kind of Elemency before.

Hell if I know, said Kevla in a very uncharacteristic bout of swearing. We’ve achieved something together that is beyond even my own father’s knowledge of telepathy. I would know since I’ve spent years inside his head. Everything he ever knew about the powers of our people has been passed on to me. And somehow, I’m able to tap into those powers and pass them on to you so long as we’re joined like this.

Ryan grinned. I’m pretty sure your dad never taught you to cuss like that. He just doesn’t seem the type to swear, even in his thoughts.

What can I say? Kevla said with a giggle. You’ve rubbed off on me, human. I can only hope I’ve done the same for you. By the Third Plane, you really do need more positive influences like me in your life.

Ryan rushed the last Berserker. The creature sent waves of sand at him from the ground and shot pieces of its own bones from its fingertips. He responded with jets of flame from his sword to counter the sand and tiny pellets of lava shot from his gauntlet hand at the bone projectiles.

When neither one made any progress through Elemency, the Berserker roared and rushed Ryan. He dueled with the creature, using Kevla’s help to predict the creature’s movements somehow. Unfortunately, as Ryan’s skill grew, so too did his opponents. Ryan could tell a master fighter when he met one. This one had the same skills in the Saurian martial arts that Grafael had. In fact, this creature seemed to be even better. Its movements became more fluid and quick as it anticipated Ryan just as well as he and Kevla anticipated it. It was using a form of the fire blood that Grafael had never used before, one that was more aggressive, relying on constant strikes to overwhelm its opponent and not give them a chance to catch their breath.

Ryan and the creature exchanged a flurry of blows that soon became too fast for the human eye to see. He with his weapons, and the creature with its bare hands that seemed a match for his blades. However, even with Kevla’s help, the creature overwhelmed him as its speed suddenly increased, and it struck him hard in the chest with its tail. Ryan went sprawling away to slam through a pillar and roll to the ground on the other side.

Ryan groaned, clutching his stomach as a strong hand grabbed him from behind and forced him to his feet.

“No time to rest, little brother,” said Grafael with a grin. “We have our work cut out for us this time. I can tell just by watching them. Each of them was a master of Vok’Gar in their time. I’ve never had the opportunity to test myself against a single master, let alone three. It will be a death worth remembering.”

“Worthy death. Yay,” Ryan grunted. He found it difficult to remain conscious as he choked out, “So, are these the Berserkers you were telling me about?”

“More or less,” admitted Grafael. “Though I’ve never seen ones like these creatures. They keep fighting past the point that none of my people would be able to. Already, they’ve endured more damage than any mortal ever could. They are compelled to fight beyond all reason or meaning, even death itself.”

Suddenly, all three monsters came at Ryan at once, running on all fours faster than any Elemental could ever hope to, moving like missiles over the ground. Ryan tried to jump away, but found the move impossible. Apparently, he broke a few ribs from that last blow. Luckily, Grafael grabbed him and jumped away, taking them to the top of a pile of rubble at least thirty feet off the ground. The Berserkers crashed in all directions. They didn’t seem to have much control when they moved at those ludicrous speeds.

“Can you still fight, little brother?” asked Grafael.

Ryan took in a sharp breath, but when he spoke, it was Kevla who answered with his voice. “I will have to.”

Suddenly, Ryan felt the pain dissipate. It didn’t vanish completely, but it wasn’t as overwhelming as before. He could now move without feeling like he would throw up.

Kevla, what did you do?

She didn’t answer right away. In his mind, it felt like she was crying.

You took my pain into yourself, didn’t you? asked Ryan with a heavy heart.

Not exactly, she responded, sounding strained. I simply redirected the pain to a subconscious portion of your mind. It’s a form of compartmentalization. But I’m not as good at it as my father, so I’m feeling a bit of the backlash. How did you manage to stay conscious at all while breaking that many ribs?

You shouldn’t have to do that, Kevla! Not if it hurts you! Bring the pain back! I can take it!

I know you can, but if this makes it easier for you to fight, then all the better, she said with a grunt of pain.

Éclair was right! she yelled angrily within his mind. You’re way too macho! Way too ... male!

Wait a minute! Éclair never said that. At least not directly. Were you rummaging in her head too?

She didn’t get the chance to respond as the Berserkers all gathered around where Ryan and Grafael stood. Ryan readied himself for another round when the Berserkers all took a knee. Or rather, each one put a hand to the ground and bowed their heads. At first, Ryan was almost tempted to believe they were bowing to him. Maybe they thought he was so tough that they decided to make him their king, or something? That thought stroked Ryan’s ego, but he immediately dismissed it.

And then he felt the earth trembling. All around the field, the mounds of dirt began to rise. Out of the ground sprouted humanoid-shaped creatures made of stone. They took on the forms of men with heads in the shapes of skulls. Some were much larger than ordinary men, almost as large as the Berserkers themselves. There were dozens of the stone warriors, perhaps hundreds, and every single one of them seemed to be looking at him with their lifeless eyes.

Ryan gave Grafael a sidelong glance. “Can you do that?”

Grafael gapped in awe at the stone army. “I didn’t even know such a thing could be done using Earth Elemency.”

Ryan cracked his neck. Kevla, something tells me that I’m going to be hurting a lot more than even you can ‘compartmentalize’.

Suddenly, the three Berserkers looked away from Ryan, turning towards the northern portion of the field. The stone soldiers turned with them as one. Then the Berserkers dashed away on all fours faster than Ryan would’ve thought possible. The stone soldiers followed after them, making the earth rumble beneath their footsteps.

All the defenders gapped at the retreating monsters.

“I may not be much for strategy, but I’m pretty sure we weren’t winning,” called Explosion Logan down below. “Nothing we thew at them seemed to come close to taking those things down. So why the heck would they run, especially after getting reinforcements?”

“Don’t know,” said Ryan with a growl of frustration. “But something tells me we better follow them and find out.”

Kevla groaned inside Ryan’s head. Do we have to? I’m already exhausted and it’s not even my body we’re using! Seriously, do you do this fighting thing all the time?


Cornelius Humphrey pounded his fist against the stone railing from where he watched high above the battlements of Diagora Coliseum. Furious didn’t come close to what he felt right now. It had taken a while, but those big brutes had finally caught up to the brat. He couldn’t imagine what could’ve compelled the Monks and the Elementals to go to such extremes to protect one insignificant little half-breed, but they sure wasted a lot of lives trying to save his. And now, when those dumb, undead monstrosities finally had him cornered, they just leave. He couldn’t believe how hard it was proving to kill one little brat of a half-breed.

As long as he lives, my contract remains. That’s what they said. At least the brutes hunted him down. Now I know exactly where the little shit is.

The half-breed and his companions took off in the direction of the giants while leaving a few injured Light Monks behind. It wasn’t difficult to follow the Berserkers as they left a swath of destruction in their wake. Humphrey followed from behind from the rooftops, careful not to get close enough to draw attention to himself.

At the rate things were going, no one would ever get around to actually killing the kid, so it was time for a more direct approach. Without breaking stride, Humphrey summoned his Psionic Sniper-Rifle to himself. The weapon was shaped like a standard energy rifle, but glowing yellow symbols of the ancient language vibrated throughout, indicating a more supernatural origin. True, most Elementals and Mystics used melee weapons as they already possessed abilities in long-ranged combat that would put most firearms to shame, but Humphrey always preferred the fundamentals himself. Besides, his rifle did come with a Psionic Bayonet for such an occasion that he did have to get a little more personal.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close