Volume II of Legacy: Those Who Are Fallen, Part 2 - Cover

Volume II of Legacy: Those Who Are Fallen, Part 2

Copyright© 2023 by Uruks

Chapter 1: Konamay’s Sister

Indeed, Lucille was a strange girl. Ambitious, even for a Lurranna. She was always most curious about my dealings with the Desolate One. She even asked if she could come in on our meetings sometimes despite knowing full well what such a thing could cost her.

In his extremely long career as a Fire Elemental, Eramar had never been a good diplomat. For one thing, he hardly looked the part. With his orange glowing mechanical eye, lean face full of scars, mustache and goatee that some have said made him look devilish, and dark, graying hair, Eramar was not the kind of man most people felt comfortable conversing with. Nor was he the type of man with much patience for conversing as he’d always preferred working in the field. It was only in recent centuries after getting promoted to Wielder that he’d been forced to expand his horizons in the field of diplomacy. For that reason, he tried not to begrudge Zand too much as the man had set him up to be the go-between with the Water Ministry given his newfound friendship with Lord Konamay.

Still, he was grateful for that friendship as Robert Konamay had made his job of seeing the Water Minister that much easier. Water Wielder Konamay was a big man, much taller than Eramar, who wasn’t short by any means. He had long, blond hair, lightly tanned skin, dark green eyes, and a clean-shaven face. Though he was probably close to Eramar’s age, he looked a fair bit more youthful. He wore the blue armor and cyan cape of the Water Ministry, with the symbols of a Bear and Mermaid on his silver medallion which hung around his neck. Even though he could configure his high-grade armor to many designs with a mere thought, he usually had his Psionic Armor done in a way to show off his big arms. Eramar could hardly imagine why since he knew Robert had long been married.

“Again, I’m sorry for the delay. Politics, you know?” said Robert.

“Oh, we have plenty of that back home. Right, Victor?” Eramar said to his Fire Ministry companion.

Victor Harock just huffed in annoyance. Victor, unfortunately, also looked more youthful than Eramar, even though he wasn’t that much younger. He had mid-length ginger hair, and the tattoo of a black, snake-like Dragon going down his face. The Wielder wore the red and gold trimmed armor of the Fire Ministry, as well as a long golden cape adorned by high-level Elementals of the Fire Ministry. Like Eramar, he had a golden medallion with a Lion and a four-legged Dragon hanging around his neck.

“I, unlike my brother, don’t mind getting my hands dirty in the political spectrum. A warrior must seek perfection in all aspects of power, not just that of Elemency,” said the feminine voice of the fourth Wielder present among the group.

Eramar had to stifle his annoyance at the woman’s presence. Unfortunately, despite his hopes, a few Wielders other than Konamay had caught on to the attempted clandestine meeting they’d tried to arrange with Sorric. Eramar had spent what felt like hours waiting in a sitting room while Konamay communicated with the Water Wielder Council via holocommunicator. Konamay finally convinced the more disagreeable members to allow him to speak with the Minister. However, it would be under guard and with most, if not all, of the twelve Water Wielders in attendance. Eramar tried not to let his deep displeasure at these developments show, especially with their current escort.

One particular member of the council had met with them in person almost immediately after entering the complex and insisted on joining them. Eramar wondered scornfully if she was the one who tipped off the other Water Wielders to their arrival. A woman of similar face and height to Konamay with long blonde hair done in a braid that went down to her waist and piercing green eyes. When she introduced herself as Erica Konamay, Eramar was hardly surprised to know that she was Robert’s younger sister. Although, there was no visible sign of her being the younger sibling. But with Elemental Wielders who lived for hundreds of years, a slight age difference of five to ten years mattered very little.

The woman donned the full battle armor of a Water Wielder, the striking colors of blue and green mixing elegantly with the cyan cape that flowed behind her shoulders. From the more casual robes that most of the other Water Wielders wore, Eramar wondered if the woman just preferred armor to cloth. Not altogether surprising given her militaristic mannerisms. Though still slender, she wore the armor well, filling it out in ways that most women couldn’t and showing arms larger and more muscular than the average female, even Elemental ones who were generally athletic. She was tall, too. Taller than most human women that Eramar had met, even the Minister of Fire. Since she was almost as tall as her brother, that made her taller than Eramar himself, though about the same height as Victor. And yet, despite her muscular arms and tall build, she was still quite lovely, with high cheekbones, smooth tan skin, and a long slender face. She wore a peculiar shade of blue lipstick that matched her mascara. In fact, many of the women of the Water Ministry donned the same color of makeup, giving them an almost exotic look.

Victor and Eramar strode together with both Konamays walking on either side of them. The hallway leading to the audience chamber was long, decorated with golden candles shining with blue flames. Beautiful seashells and bright coral reefs lined the walls, giving the illusion of walking through a colorful reef on the sea floor. Eramar half expected the entire facility to be submerged underwater inside as well as outside. However, when they made it to the main building, they went through a pressure room that removed the water before entering. Good to know as it would’ve been annoying to have an audience underwater. And, not to mention, a bit worrisome considering that Water Elementals were twice as dangerous within their element.

You need to stop thinking like that. The Water is our ally now.

Though Eramar was only mildly aware of the potential threat, Victor was far more agitated, and he did little to hide it. His eyes constantly shifted between Robert and Erica, scanning for any sign of hostile intent. Robert seemed to ignore Victor’s anxiousness, but Erica would meet Victor, glare for glare. There was definitely a note of challenge in the woman’s demeanor, especially when she glanced at Eramar. Though despite the mistrust in her eyes, she still smiled, though it felt like a shark’s smile before it devoured a seal.

Erica then quite ostentatiously looked over Eramar slyly as they journeyed down the hall, her keen eyes taking in his armor with obvious distaste. “My brother has told me about your prowess in battle, Wielder Razor. Robert doesn’t give his praise lightly. You should honor me with a duel sometime. I can assure you that I would make it much more interesting for you than my brother did.” Her tone was casual, but her stare was even more intense than ever.

“There will be time for that later, Erica,” said Konamay chidingly. “From the gravity of Eramar’s tone, I can only assume that the situation is dire. We should be prepared to offer whatever aid we can render.”

“Come now, brother,” said Erica smoothly without taking her eyes off Eramar. “I’m only trying to smooth over relations. We are ‘friends’ after all.” The way she twisted the word friend gave it the opposite meaning to Eramar.

“Once the crisis has passed, I would be honored, Lady Konamay,” said Eramar, keeping his voice level. “After all, smooth relations are in all our interests.”

“Sure. A friendly duel,” grumbled Victor. “While you’re at it, why not some tea at Pavar’s Market? At least some of those buildings are repaired there since the Water Ministry bombarded it with aqua missiles last year.”

Eramar winced, knowing full well the short fuse of Robert Konamay, and wondering if his sister had a similar temperament.

However, the woman simply chuckled. “You’re a blunt man, Wielder Harock. I like that. I prefer honest enemies to the alternative.” Her tone remained conversational, but there was no mistaking the coldness of her eyes. Luckily, Victor kept his gaze straight ahead without rising to her challenge.

“Erica! These are our guests, not our enemies,” scolded Konamay.

Erica laughed coldly. “All the more reason to be wary, my dear, simple brother. Better an outside invader than an invited one. But, since you have a little man-crush on the Demon-Slayer, I’ll play nice ... for now.”

Eramar sighed. Hopefully, Sorric’s own sentiments towards Fire Elementals did not reflect the same as Erica’s. Though the woman walked confidently, Eramar could sense that she was just as on edge as Victor by the tautness of her posture. Her psions were also raised just enough to be noticed, even for someone without sensory abilities. It reminded him of a coiled snake ready to strike at any provocation.

Eramar had hoped that the woman was finished with her taunts, but she soon turned her barely veiled vehemence towards Victor. “Wielder Harock. Your name is almost as infamous as the Demon-Slayer’s. Each of us Wielders have our own monikers. Well, at least the ones that matter. Robert earned the title Grim Reaper with his scythe, and is considered the most deadly warrior in the Ministry besides Sorric ... and myself, of course.”

Lord Konamay smirked. “My sister’s ambitions often exceed her grasp.”

“Time will only tell, dear brother,” she said smoothly. “Perhaps your defeat at the Demon-Slayer’s hands show that the tides are churning towards change.” Her words were biting, but her tone was more playful when she addressed her brother.

Konamay only sniffed in response.

“But as I was saying,” continued Erica without missing a beat. “The monikers that we Wielders carry – the titles we earn for ourselves – they are something not to be taken lightly, at least not by me. Wielder Razor earned his for slaying the much-feared Demon of Galaxy 12, a monstrous serial killer who claimed millions of lives across several galaxies, including more than a few high-level Elementals from every Ministry. I, myself, earned the title of Wave Crasher for my superb control of tsunamis. However, I don’t believe I’ve ever been privy to yours, Wielder Harock.”

“That’s because I do not have one,” answered Victor curtly. Then he added, almost grudgingly. “Lady Konamay.”

Erica seemed pleased at hearing him speak her name. Indeed, she seemed awfully interested in Victor, which only relieved Eramar as it diverted her attention away from him.

“I find that hard to believe,” she said with a slight scoff. “After all, your accomplishments are almost as well-known as Wielder Razor’s. Equal, in my own opinion.”

Victor sniffed without facing her. “You flatter me, my lady.”

“I never give flattery to men,” she said quickly, almost indignant. “Only what they’ve earned. And you earned no less in my eyes when you defeated my forces at the battle of Wintell.”

Now Victor turned to face her, a slight smile of respect crossing his lips. “The dispute over the Sun Gem deposits of the Dargotta Mines over a century ago. You were in command? I was under the impression that Kamon commanded that force.”

Erica rendered a raised eyebrow. “I relieved him for incompetence. His blunders at the beginning of the battle ultimately cost us those deposits. Although, I was confident I could turn things around, but you proved too level-headed for me.” She said the last part with a slight sneer, but there was no mistaking the signs of admiration in her voice.

Victor chuckled lightly, a gesture which surprised Eramar. “I did notice that the Water Ministry’s forces became more efficient and dogmatic in the latter half of the battle. I just assumed that Koman learned from his mistakes and grew smarter. I don’t know if we would’ve won if not for his initial tactical errors.”

Erica remained uncharacteristically silent and looked ahead without expression. Eramar couldn’t be sure, the woman’s face might as well have been a rock for all the emotion it conveyed in that moment. But he thought he could detect ... something pass over Erica’s face before it became stoic. Equal parts contempt and respect, and perhaps something even deeper.

They soon approached the end of the hallway. Large doors loomed before them guarded by at least six Fourths, all wielding tridents glowing with blue psions and ready to attack. There was a Mermaid and a Bear decorating the doors, though more detailed than most other depictions of the Water Ministry’s sigil.

The Konamay siblings stepped forward and the guards parted, though with wary glances at Eramar and Victor. Eramar stifled a grin. With all of Erica’s haughtiness, it was nice to know that he still inspired fear in the lower-leveled Water Elementals. And with good reason. Eramar himself had led several campaigns against Water Ministry forces securing Sun Gem deposits on the outer territories. True, outright war on the home planet like the one of last year was a rarity, perhaps only two or three in the entire history of Tarrus. But minor disputes between Ministries in the far reaches of space were far more regular.

Or at least they used to be. To hear Zand talk, he’s hoping that the Ministries will join together as a single Ministry one day. I still don’t know if such a thing is possible, but I’d like to think it could.

Eramar and Victor stepped into a room of bubbles. That is, Sorric and the Wielders in attendance were each in their own bubble as they hovered around the room. In the center of each shimmering bubble floated a round metal platform where each Wielder sat on a desk. The largest bubble and the most ornate desk were reserved for the Minister of Water himself. There also seemed to be a few senators in attendance conversing with various Wielders within their bubbles. Eramar couldn’t hear any of the conversations within the bubbles. Some sort of sound-dampening system. Quite ingenious actually. In fact, the shimmering of the bubbles themselves blurred the faces of some of the occupants to the point that made it impossible to even read their lips. No doubt, dozens of state secrets were being discussed in the same room at the same time, and no one would be privy to the others’ conversations.

Sorric brought up a hand, and all the Wielders seemed to sense his inaudible call for attention. Minister Sorric was not a tall man, but he was imposing nonetheless. Even within the long blue and green ceremonial robes of the Water Minister, his bulky frame and powerful chest and arms gave him a very rough-edged kind of appearance. Sorric had dark skin, a shaved head, a mustache, and a goatee over a rough, scarred face. His eyes were darker and harder than most. The Water Minster made a slight adjustment on a control console on his desk, and then spoke in a clear voice that carried outside his bubble.

“Eramar Razor. This is a bit unexpected, young Fire Wielder. And inconvenient. In case you haven’t noticed, we’re a little busy right now. If Minister Kaves needed something that urgently, she could’ve just sent a communique, not throw my whole Ministry up in arms by sending her top Wielder.”

Though Sorric was Eramar’s elder by more than a few centuries, he still didn’t appreciate being talked down to like some amateur Grunt. “I’m afraid that the subtleties of my mission required discretion. If possible, I would like to speak with you in private.”

“What business the Fire Minister has with his Lordship, Sorric, can be discussed with the rest of us,” said a bristling Water Wielder

The Wielder who just spoke appeared slightly middle-aged with a balding head. He sat at his bubble desk with a female senator in attendance. Senator Wex if Eramar was not mistaken. Her family had always favored the Water Elementals. Although, Eramar had heard that she had begun distancing herself from Ministry influence, as had many Senators under Chissler’s growing anti-Elemental regime.

“I do not come on behalf of the Fire Minister. My mission is my own,” replied Eramar curtly.

“This is most unorthodox,” said another Wielder, a female appearing of middling years, which probably made her very old for a Wielder. But, then again, Saria herself was older than most Elementals in the universe, and she didn’t appear a day over thirty in normal human years. “An unscheduled appearance from the Demon-Slayer does not bode well. And now he tells us that he comes on his own volition without the authorization of the Fire Minister.”

“Is he defecting?” called out a younger Water Wielder, another female. She seemed to be even younger than Erica Konamay, and judging from her mannerisms, she was probably the least experienced. Eramar suspected that she had been appointed recently from the Fourths after that Mystic Wielder, Dutch, had been caught.

To think that a Mystic could infiltrate so high up the ladder in this Ministry. Maybe I shouldn’t be coming here for help.

But before he could lose his nerve, Eramar pressed on. “I am not defecting. What happens to me after I return to my Minister’s side will be up to her. But for now, it is vital that I speak to the Water Minister alone.”

“You honestly think we’ll just let talk you in private with the Minister of Water simply because you demanded it?” said Erica sardonically. “And in full command of your psions no less.”

Eramar leveled a disbelieving glance at Erica. “Your brother said I could. And besides that, he’s the goddamn Minister of Water. A longstanding veteran and commanding the power of the Sacred Bear, Alez. I’m sure I don’t have to tell you that he could kill me with very little effort.”

Erica sniffed, but didn’t seem altogether displeased by Eramar’s retort. In fact, the more Eramar seemed to stand up to Erica, the more interested she became.

“And do you intend to bring your companion with you? One Wielder may not be a threat to a Minister, but two might give you reason to be tempted,” said a younger-looking Wielder with dark hair. Derek Koman. Both Eramar and Victor had fought against him several times over Sun Gem disputes in the outer territories. “I know from experience how devious and opportunistic you Fire Wielders can be.”

Surprisingly, it was Victor who spoke up. “Do not confuse your strategic mishaps of the past for experience, Koman.”

Even through the bubble, Eramar could see Koman’s face turn red as he glared down at Victor.

Eramar grimaced. Now was not the time for hostility. “I think what my esteemed colleague is trying to say is that ... we have fought each other in the past. But that is precisely where those battles lie. In the past. Even in the midst of open bloodshed with one another, we took each other’s hands in friendship only last year. Cannot that same sentiment last for more than a year? We formed a bond of mutual respect and cooperation with one another, and have grown closer in the last few months than a hundred years besides. All I ask is a little faith, and I promise you will not regret it once your Minister hears what I have to say.”

Koman opened his mouth to speak, but Sorric cut him off. “Enough dick-measuring with useless bureaucracy! Konamay! Get the hell up here, boy, and explain to me why you’ve brought this headache to my door!”

Konamay bounded to the Minister’s side in one fluid lip. Water drizzled from his shoes behind him as a small wave of liquid appeared under his feet and carried him to the Minister’s side who hovered nearly fifty feet off the ground. The flying wave disappeared as Konamay stepped into the bubble. As he did so, the bubble went completely black, obscuring both Konamay and the Water Minister from view. Judging from the way no one reacted, Eramar guessed that this was not unheard of. Perhaps a way of insuring even greater privacy when the Minster needed it.

The chamber grew silent in anticipation, but the onlookers didn’t have to wait long. The bubble became transparent again, and the Minister spoke in a loud voice as if making an announcement.

“I have decided that I will hear what the Demon-Slayer has to say ... in private.”

Many Wielder spoke up in protest, but Sorric silenced them with a booming yell.

“Have I grown so feeble in your eyes that I am helpless before a couple of flame sprites? Now stop your bellyaching, you whining whelps, before I remind you all who bloody well taught most of you how to use those powers you’re so proud of!” Sorric then waved a hand violently at Eramar. “Come over here, fire brat, before I change my mind. You can teleport if you wish. I know it’s difficult for you to fly in an environment this humid. The dampening field in my bubble has been temporarily suspended. But the rest of the headquarters will remain shielded so you don’t go prying around where you shouldn’t.”

“Lord Sorric,” called out Erica suddenly, putting a hand in front of Eramar and speaking with a certain amount of deference for the first time. “May I be permitted to join you?”

“I would’ve been surprised if you hadn’t insisted. Come on, all of you. Leave these louts to their scheming.”

Erica ascended in the same fashion that her brother had, but with much greater poise and grace.

Eramar turned to Victor with a knowing look.

Victor sighed and spoke quietly. “Fine. But don’t blame me if I barf on you later. You know I hate teleporting.”

“That’s what makes this fun for me,” said Eramar with a grin.

He put an arm on Victor’s shoulder, and called forth his psionic ability of teleporting. After using teleportation for years, it had become second nature to Eramar, as natural as walking. Although, using his powers to take someone with him did require a little bit of effort. Within an instant, both he and Victor stood in a bubble with the Minster and the two Water Wielders. Victor exhaled sharply, his face slightly paling in a most satisfying way. Something about teleporting absolutely terrified the man despite his years of battle experience, bringing no end of pleasure to Eramar. He could remember some very satisfying pranks he’d pulled on poor Victor when they were younger. Eramar would never dream of pulling such childish antics now, though Ryan would if he had teleporting powers.

The bubble was much larger on the inside than it appeared on the outside, giving the five occupants plenty of room without feeling crowded. The other occupants in the chamber outside the bubble disappeared as Sorric flipped a switch that made the walls go dark again.

Sorric folded his hands out in front of him, leaning forward in his desk intently. “Now then. What does the Prime Minster ask of me?”


It hadn’t been easy convincing Sorric of even the possibility of Mages running amuck in his District, and in the end, he had to rely on the Minister’s trust in Konamay to convince him. Though it was annoying arguing back and forth with Sorric for so long, a part of Eramar couldn’t blame him. A coven of Mystics, however undesirable, was more believable than Mages. Those who knew the secrets of Shadow Elemency hadn’t been heard from for thousands of years, at least not on Tarrus so close to their hated enemies, the Monks. But in the end, the Water Minister agreed – as Eramar suspected he would – to allow a small contingent of Water Elementals to accompany him in his search for the Mage hideout. Eramar would’ve already begun the search if not for the fact that he required a Water Ministry escort to conduct any kind of investigation within District 9. That, combined with the fact that the Water Elementals knew their District better than he ever could, meant that their cooperation was vital. Zanderius was right when he told Eramar to seek the aid of the Water Ministry, though he wished it hadn’t taken so long. If not for his assurances from the tracker that Zand had given him, he would’ve been tempted to think that the Mages had found a way off the planet with the fake Core.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close