Way Down South, Almost - Cover

Way Down South, Almost

Copyright© 2023 by Lapi

Chapter 13

What is it about these girls? Now I was getting a might concerned. Not so much about them Comanche, but now Miss Sarah was leading Riga out from the corral. I got concerned when Riga almost sank to the ground. My Princess just calmly stood on his bended knee and scooted up with him. No saddle, no blanket, nothing but that lead rope. Her new escort, Rex and company, took them right out front of the house where seven of the Comanche had pulled up ahead of the rest. Ma had tossed up the Long Rifle I had given her to Soaring Eagle. She held it in her left hand, straight up like a lance. On it was the Eagle feather Crazy Horse had given her that must have them looking at her. We, we men had to walk up some. No one but Miss Sarah and me could ride Riga ... right? Except ... Soaring Eagle was tall enough to only maybe reach his neck, but astride him she looked like a giant.

I don’t know if it was Riga, the Princess, Rex and his troop, the War Bonnet she wore or what ... maybe it was all of that ... but whatever it was, it was enough to sure set back those Comanche. Whatever they had come to palaver over was no longer important. When they saw a Kiowa Ghost Warrior, a Sioux warrior, and a White all moving towards them, those braves must have slid to the ground like them horses threw ‘em. Then she spoke.

She started slow and soft, then as each few seconds passed what she was saying got faster, louder and ended up sounding like a command. I had not heard that voice since that ‘Dust off’. She rode back to us. Riga again went to the ground and Princess was already sliding off to the side.

I had some trouble following what He Who Laughs Loud was translating for me. Ghost Bear was laughing his ass off. It went something like this: She had thanked them for coming so quickly. She assumed either the Kiowa or her cousin Crazy Horse had asked for them. She told them several miles north, what was left of her people were coming here. More Ghosts (Kiowa) were their escort. With them, her husband (Me), Ghost Bear, and He Who Laughs Loud, had come ahead HOME.

“Take men and help the Ghost Warriors bring my people safely here. Gather more men and bring cattle and horses from the bandits (Mexicans), and her husband (me again) would show them were to graze the herds.’

She held up the rifle for all to see Crazy Horse’s feather. They must of lit out of there like they was on fire.

Ma and Miss Sarah came out. Riga went with Miss Sarah; Ma took Princess and the dogs inside the house. Ghost Bear was getting nasty. He was still laughing, only this time so was He Who Laughs Loud. Sgt. Williams went up to me and reached out to close my mouth. I still wonder, to this day, how in the Hell did she do that?

It would not be the end of those kinds of surprises, either. I guess I got a good’un with her.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close