Stone Cold - Cover

Stone Cold

by woodmanone

Copyright© 2012 by woodmanone

Drama Story: His life and mind were stone cold

Tags: Romance   Drama  

There are no descriptive sexual scenes in this story.

As always, constructive comments, emails, and critiques are requested and very much appreciated. It's the only way we writers know if we've entertained the reader or maybe hit a nerve.

Thank you for reading my Flash Tale, I hope you enjoy it.

"Jamie. Hey! Jamie Dooley, where are you headed," Mary called to the young man leaving Tully's Tavern. She was tending bar and offered, "Stick around and I'll buy you a beer."

Dooley didn't answer; he just sort of waved then stumbled out of the door. Jamie didn't bother buttoning up his coat, although it was only 5 degrees outside with a wind chill factor that brought the temperature down to minus 10.

Mary shook his head; she couldn't believe the change in her friend and neighbor. Hell, Jamie used to be bigger than life, Mary thought. He's still 6'2 but walks stooped over as if he didn't have the strength to hold himself upright; like he's an old man.

Jamie used to weigh about 210 but I doubt he's 180 right now. His dark hair is greasy and from the looks of it, it hasn't been washed in days or more. Mary sighed and shook her head again. The worse change is in his eyes. They used to be a piercing blue but now look faded and lifeless; like there's no soul in there anymore.

Jamie weaved and stumbled down the street. To any one he passed he appeared to be a drunk, but other than that life changing day, he hadn't more than one beer a day for months. He suddenly turned his head and looked at two people walking past him. Was that her name I heard? Then realizing that it was only in his head, he continued on his journey.

Damn, it's a cold day, Jamie thought as he finally closed his coat; Cold as stone; I hate days like this. The air was thin; all the leaves had turned to rust and blown off the trees. He sat down on a bench at the edge of a park and looked at the gray, overcast sky as his breath puffed out. The gathering clouds promised sleet or more likely snow. This is the type of day that I hate to be alone.

For once Jamie wasn't thinking of her, and then he thought he saw her car. He perked up as the car passed and then settled back on the bench. He shook his head and thought, that's not her car; am I ever going to get her out of my head? After several minutes, Jamie got up from the bench and shuffled the three blocks to his house. Once inside, he dropped his coat on the floor and went to his bedroom. He didn't bother to undress; he just fell across the bed and pulled a blanket over him.

 
There is more of this story...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close