The Fires of Vulcan - Cover

The Fires of Vulcan

Copyright© 2023 by Lumpy

Chapter 1

North-Western Germania

Anyone who looked at Ky, Consul of Britannia and commander of the Britannic forces in Northern Europe, could tell he was an outsider. Even dressed in the traditional Roman garb, worn by most of the Legionnaires, Ky stood out as a man out of place. Everything about him from the almost bronze color of his skin and almond-shaped eyes, to the way he sat on a horse, said he didn’t belong here ... mostly, because he didn’t. He’d been born thousands of years from this now, as part of a society that had homogenized into more or less a single phenotype, with genetic engineering doing the rest. He’d spent his life training to fly fighters in the depths of space, strapped into a chair built to offset high acceleration, not sitting atop a horse, rebalancing every time the animal moved.

And yet, all of his men followed him as if he was sent by the gods. Of course, that was because many of them still thought he had been, no matter how often Ky tried to dissuade them of the notion.

A narrow valley stretched before him, thick with frost, hemmed in on both sides by steep, snow-capped peaks. They’d picked this area specifically because of its inhospitable terrain. While they’d dealt a major blow to the Carthaginians, there were still units out there, and he wasn’t ready to put his out-manned legions and ragtag allies to the test until they had the training to operate well together.

They’d gotten the drop on the Carthaginians in the fall, mostly because the Carthaginians didn’t realize Bomilcar had managed to turn so many of their previously conquered vassals against them. That secret was out now, however, which meant the next battle would be a stand-up fight.

Hopefully, by then he would have more rifles, enough to arm more than a century or two, but even with that, Ky wanted his local allies trained up as much as possible. That’s why they were hiding in the mountains for the time being.

Each of the five tribes, or four tribes and one confederation of tribes, had set up camps at one end of the valley while Ky had established his legions at the other. There had been some early dustups between the locals and the Britannians, mostly over misunderstandings in customs, that would take time to clear up. Until then, Ky planned on keeping the two groups as separate as possible, except during training, which was what was happening today.

Ky looked across the rocky outcropping, surveying the scene below with a critical eye. The Anglii, whose lands were closest to the Carthaginians and whose men had been drafted into their armies the longest, were by far the most organized, drilling in tight formations with crisp, disciplined movements that gave Ky hope. While they were following the standard of the Phalanxes and not his legions, it was close enough that it wouldn’t take long to train them to the point where he could incorporate them directly into his forces, giving him an additional almost half a legion without much effort.

Sadly, they were by far the best of his new allies, by a wide margin. By way of contrast, Ky looked to the Vandili, the second most organized and disciplined of the tribes, and saw warriors in a disorganized mass. Even when lined up, their formations would quickly go from ragged and sporadic, which was as good as they ever got, to a clump of warriors, each trying to see who could attack the enemy line first. Their tactics began and ended with throwing themselves headlong into the enemy lines, trusting in their superior prowess as warriors to win the day. While Ky would never doubt each man’s abilities and knew that each was probably a skilled fighter, that made little difference when facing trained soldiers.

It only got more chaotic from there. At this rate, even if he could keep the tribes united and all fighting in the same direction, he’d lose four-fifths of his new allies after the first contact with the enemy.

Bomilcar grumbled from the horse next to Ky. He was as out of place as Ky was, although in a completely different way. Born and raised as part of one of the oldest families in Carthage, his adoption of Roman dress didn’t make him fit in any more than Ky did. He could change his clothes, but nothing could change the hawkish features and bearing common to the ruling elite of the African nation that currently controlled most of the known world. They made an interesting pair.

The old general’s face was twisted in a tight frown as he assessed the maneuvers below.

“An absolute mess,” he muttered. “I talked to them over and over, but Aliverko was the only one who’d sit still long enough to listen. The rest are too impatient and take any kind of organized movement as the ‘Carthaginian way.’ They think, now that they’ve broken from their old masters, they can just go back to the way they used to do things. Never mind that they lost doing things that way the first time.”

“You were the one who told me this was going to take time,” Ky pointed out.

“I know, but I hoped that once they saw what we could do, they might ... I don’t know, come to their senses.”

“They didn’t see much. Sure, they were impressed by the rifles, but other than that, they mostly watched us run from the Carthaginian army for days while we tried to find a suitable place to fight. And then, when we did fight, they can take credit for the win because of their sudden attack from the Carthaginian rear. They won’t be believers until they see us fight for real.”

“Which won’t happen until the snows thaw and we start operations. We should focus our efforts on the Anglii for now. Get them integrated into the legions and ready to fight. We can put the other tribes in the rear as support, watching our flanks and supply lines until they’re ready to train for real.”

“You know that won’t work. You’ve been in the same parleys I have. They all want to show they’re the biggest, badest bunch there is, ready to take on Carthage by themselves. If we elevate one of the groups above the rest, the other four will go home, or worse, decide we’re a lost cause and rejoin the Carthaginians. And the Anglii aren’t even close to being the largest of the tribes. Hell, the Alamanni confederation has nearly as many men ready to go under arms as we brought with us.”

“Then what do we do? Because we can’t go into battle like this,” Bomilcar said, waving a hand at the valley where the Alamanni smashed into a line made up of Anarti and Istvaeones in their mock battle simulations. Men were going in every which direction and all semblance of battle lines disappeared completely.

Glancing sidelong at Bomilcar, Ky said, “Maybe we’re looking at this the wrong way.”

“That’s what I was just saying,” the Carthaginian said, a little frustrated.

“What I mean is, maybe we shouldn’t be trying to fit them into the mold of the legions at all. Like you said, we should focus on only teaching the Anglii to fight as part of our legions. The rest we don’t try to make them legionnaires at all, instead we try to play to their strengths.”

“Which are?” Bomilcar asked, not bothering to hide his skepticism.

“Their knowledge of the land, superb ability as individual warriors, their courage and, you have to admit, impressive stamina, and their overall raw enthusiasm.”

“And how, exactly, would we use those traits?”

“By employing them as partisan fighters.”

“Most of these tribes have already been doing that for a while, which is why they have so few men to offer to the cause as it is. They’ve suffered horrible losses trying to pick off even the smallest groups of Carthaginians.”

“I didn’t mean doing it the way they have been doing it or even in the way you’ve seen it done before. I mean we train them in real, hit-and-run tactics,” Ky said, and then held up a hand, stopping Bomilcar from protesting again. “I know you’ve spent a lot of time thinking about our new tactics, the line of battle, battle squares, and the like, but you haven’t extended that to other, less direct modes of warfare. Consider what hit-and-run attacks will look like with muskets. Normally that kind of thing is a melee-specific form of combat, since arrows work best when massed, especially at smaller or more spread-out groups of soldiers like you find in a supply column. But muskets, even with their smaller range, will be deadly if fired from the trees. They are easier to train on, significantly more deadly than any arrow, and fast-firing. Imagine a group of even a couple of dozen warriors firing from the trees at a collection of soldiers in camp or marching along carrying supplies. They can cause all sorts of chaos and disruption in the Carthaginian ranks before disappearing back into the wilderness. This is the perfect terrain for that tactic.”

“It’s risky. They’d be spread pretty thin and at a massive numerical disadvantage at every step. And for what payoff? A few dozen dead soldiers here or there aren’t going to impact the effectiveness of any single Carthaginian force.”

“They’re never going to come into contact with the Carthaginians directly, so numerical differences aren’t going to matter. Small raiding bands will move much faster than any Carthaginian security detachment left behind to guard their supply lines, and if we coordinate the attacks, hitting the column again after their guards chase after the first force, they’ll have to start absorbing the smaller losses to keep from getting torn to pieces.”

Ky said and then paused, watching the men below gathering for another attempt at something like an organized charge.

“That’s going to slow them down,” he said, continuing once the groups started marching again. “If they bulk up one supply column, we hit any detachments or switch to picking at the flanks of their main column. The key is to keep eating away at their edges, forcing them to chase our allies into the wilderness here or there. That’s actually going to be the hardest part. When the Carthaginians start focusing their forces, that’s when our people will have to resist the urge to charge in. It’s important they fade away. Not just to keep our losses down, but to ensure the Carthaginians chase them. Once a force either stops somewhere advantageous or gets whittled down enough by detaching security forces, we hit it with the better-trained part of our army.”

“Even if that doesn’t happen, the Germanic corpse, as their emperor likes to call it, has been picked pretty dry,” Bomilcar said. “It’s why we’ve been getting so many refugees. Food supplies are scarce, and it was already getting difficult to have armies operating in this region living off the land. Starvation is going to start being a problem for them.”

“You said most of the forces sent to this area were levies from further south. Iberia, Greece, Persia, and the like, right?”

“Mostly. Any large army will have a core unit of real soldiers trained in Carthage proper, more as a security force to push their less voluntary comrades forward than anything else, but they also make up the best part of the fighting forces as well.”

“Which probably also means they’ll be fed the best, better than the men pulled from conquered lands and sent here. What are the chances that, if they’re starved enough, they turn on their officers?”

“Not good. It’s why the emperor pulls them from so far away,” Bomilcar said. “If they revolt, they can’t turn around and run to friendly villagers or go defend their families, and they know the emperor would have their entire village, not just their families, put to the sword if they raise a hand against him. He does it often enough, for even the smallest infractions, that they’re regularly reminded of what could happen if they revolt. So no, I don’t think they’ll turn on their leaders.”

“It doesn’t matter. Food is going to be scarce and they won’t be able to forage much, especially during the winter, so they’re going to be forced to spread their men out to protect their supply lines. We’ll be fighting smaller groups and it will sow confusion and doubt among their officers, which will make it easier to hit the larger groups. The more I think about it, the more I think this plan will work.”

“Then I guess we need to change their training. Like you said, this will work better while snow is on the ground.”

“Yep,” Ky said and turned his horse to head back down the trail and into the valley.


Devnum

“Ky?” Lucilla said softly into the darkness. “Are you there?”

Even though they’d done this hundreds of times, at first it always felt a little strange to speak into the empty air, talking to herself as much as trying to contact Ky. Maybe it was because she had to wait until she was alone to speak to him, which usually meant waiting until she was alone in her quarters, in the dark. That had been even truer lately. As the daughter of the Emperor, she’d been able to steal moments here or there away from servants, guards, and petitioners to have quick conversations with her husband, who was usually days or even weeks ride away.

That was less true now that she was Empress of Britannia. Now there seemed to always be someone around. Men wanting to ‘advise’ her on whatever topic they had a personal interest in, hoping to sway her opinion. Servants trying to tend to her every need, even when she didn’t need anything. Guards insistent that she was in constant danger of assassination, even at night, when she was locked in her rooms at the palace. It had given her a newfound appreciation of her father and how he’d managed to keep his sanity dealing with this over the years.

Thoughts of her father brought her attention back to the sorrow that had hung over her all evening, threatening to crush her, and the reason she’d been so anxious for time to speak to Ky.

She was about to repeat herself when his deep, soothing voice came through the small device he’d given her to put in her ear, allowing them to speak, no matter how far apart they were.

“I’m here,” he said. “Is everything alright?”

Even at this distance, he could hear the pain in her voice. She liked a lot of things about her husband, from his exotic appearance to his warrior’s heart, but most of all she loved how he listened to her. Not just her words, but everything underneath them too. She’d never found anyone, through all of the suitors her father had thrown at her over the years, that had matched her so completely.

“No, it’s not. My father died tonight,” she said.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close