Ghost Whisperer - Cover

Ghost Whisperer

Copyright© 2023 by Duncan7

Chapter 30: Naiad

“I’m sorry to disturb you. I mean you no harm. My name is Maya. I’m a naiad, or water spirit.”

“Hello, Maya. You startled us with your entrance,” said Ed.

“Hey, Ed. I can hear her too!” said Ellen.

“That’s because I wanted you to hear me. Aren’t you the medicine man and his woman?”

Ed looked at Ellen, who nodded.

“Yes, that’s us. You found us,” said Ed.

“Good. I came seeking your help. You have a reputation for helping spirits and mortals alike.”

“Cool! We’ve got a reputation,” said Ellen.

“How did you learn of us?”

“I learned from a bobcat, Telutci. He said you helped him communicate with his daughter.”

“Yes, that’s correct. How can we help you?”

“I live in a lake, a few miles East of here. Someone dumped a body in my lake. I need you to remove it.”

“Okay. I’ll need more directions to the lake.”

“Humans call it Lake Sammamish. I’ll show you where to find the body once you arrive.”

“I’ll need to bring help. It would probably be tomorrow.”

“Naturally.”

“Excuse me, Maya. How did you find us?” asked Ellen.

“I can travel between bodies of water. I could sense you in this pool, so I came here. Now I’ll return to my lake.”

Her form swirled and sank down into the surface and was gone.

“Ed, I don’t feel like swimming anymore.”

“Me neither. This isn’t as private as I initially thought. Let’s get changed. I have to call Officer Ouray.”


They changed and reunited in the family room.

Ed sat on the sofa and called Officer Ouray.

“Hello, Ed.”

“Officer Ouray, I have a tip for a body hidden in Lake Sammamish. Can you get a dive team there tomorrow?”

“Sure, I can pull a few strings. Will you be there? It’s an enormous lake. I’ll need your help.”

“Of course. I’ll guide you to the location.”

“Be at the South end of the lake, Tibbetts beach by 10am. I’ll see you then.”

“Will do.”

Ed ended the call. He wondered who the deceased was, or if their ghost was nearby.

He turned to Ellen. “We’re going to meet Officer Ouray at the lake tomorrow morning.”

“Woohoo!”


The next morning, Ed awoke in the plush bedroom at Ellen’s (and now his) mansion.

Ed got up and showered and dressed. Then he left to find Ellen.

Naturally, she was in the family room.

“Good morning, Ellen,” he said.

Ed walked towards the coffee pot.

“Wait! I need my morning hug.”

“Sorry.” Ed changed course towards the sofa. Ellen stood, and they hugged.

“That’s better. I enjoy our closeness. Now, you can have your coffee.”

Ed poured himself a cup of the delicious coffee.

“You know this is the best coffee,” said Ed.

“I believe they import it specially. But Seattle is known for its coffee. As long as you like it...”

“I love it.”

“Good.” Ellen liked to hear him use the L-word.

Ed sat beside her on the sofa.

“So, we must arrive at the lake by 10am. I assume you’re coming?”

“Of course. We’re a team. Would you be okay if we rode in the SUV?”

“Sure.”


Around 10am, Ed and Ellen and her security detail stood on the beach.

A police boat arrived and pulled up to the beach. Officer Ouray and several officers, two in diving gear, were there.

“I’m sorry, we only have room for Ed,” said Officer Ouray.

“That’s okay,” said Ellen. “I’ll wait here. Ed, don’t take too long.”

Ed nodded and climbed into the police boat.

“So, which way?” asked Officer Ouray.

“Perhaps we could go North a little. The spirit told me they’d meet me here and give directions.”

The boat traveled North. Ed noticed a speck in the sky that was rapidly approaching them.

“Can I borrow your binoculars, please?” asked Ed.

Ouray handed him a pair of binoculars, and he discovered an eagle approaching them.

“I think it’s Waŋblí, the eagle.”

“Cool. Is he the spirit we’re looking for?”

“No, that’s a water spirit.”

Soon, Waŋblí landed on the gunwale (side of the boat).

“Hello, Ed. I was passing and saw you. What’s new?”

“I’m here to meet Maya, the water spirit. She’ll tell me where there’s a body hidden in the lake,” said Ed.

“Okay.”

The eagle scanned the water’s surface.

“I see something over there. Have the boat turn to starboard about twenty degrees.”

“Officer Ouray, please have the boat steer about twenty degrees to starboard.”

“Okay, medicine man,” said Ouray with a chuckle.

Up ahead, they saw water swirling. As they approached, Ed saw the familiar torso of Maya.

“Welcome, Ed. Have your divers look down below here.”

“Okay. Officer Ouray, please send your divers down here,” said Ed.

Officer Ouray informed the divers, who soon rolled backwards out of the boat.

Ed sat in the boat with Officer Ouray.

“Hey, Ed. I’m going to move on. Take care,” said Waŋblí.

“Okay. Until we meet again.”

Waŋblí launched into the air and flew off.

“You know, Ed, you’re amazing. Guided by an eagle and a water spirit.”

“I find it equally amazing. I’m just a software engineer, and I never expected this life.”

Soon, a diver returned to the surface holding a rope.

“The body was weighted down with rocks. Once we release it, we can pull it up with this.” He handed the rope to Officer Ouray, who secured it to a cleat.

Once the divers were back inside the boat, they pulled on the rope. A corpse floated to the surface, wrapped in a tarp. They made quick work of pulling it aboard.

“Thank you, Ed. I sensed much evil in that body. I’m glad you helped me remove it,” said Maya.

“You’re welcome, Maya.”

Maya swirled and sank below the surface.

Officer Ouray gave the order, and the boat steered back South.

“We’ll drop you off and return to the boat ramp. Thank you for helping discover this body. I’ll keep your name off the records.”

“I appreciate that, officer.”


Sara floated through the wall of the haunted bar.

It didn’t take her long to find Stephanie.

“Hello. I’m Sara. Are you Stephanie? Ed asked me to come see you,” asked Sara.

“I remember I talked with Ed. He sent you to see me?”

“Yes. He suggested you died recently. I’m here to check in on you.”

“Yes, I died recently, but I can’t recall the details of what happened.”

“Okay. How long have you been a ghost?”

“I’m not sure. Time seems different now I’m a ghost. I’m sure you’re aware of that.”

“Well, we don’t get any older. We’re trying to work out when you died.”

“And how does that help me?”

“They’re searching for missing persons. If they know when you died, they can figure out who you were.”

“I’m sorry I can’t help you much.”

“No worries. Have you tried to leave this building?” asked Sara.

“I can’t seem to leave. It’s like I’m trapped here.”

“That sometimes happens if your remains are on the premises. I need to search for them.”

“Can I help?”

“Sure, check all the rooms, especially locked ones.”

“Check the basement. He lets no one go there,” said Stephanie.

“Let’s go there first.”

The two ghosts descended through the floor.


The boat dropped Ed off on the beach and sped away. Ed walked over to the SUV and got inside.

“All done?” asked Ellen.

“Yes. They got the body. Case closed for us.”

“Awesome. Time to go home.”

The SUV drove back to the mansion and stopped out front. Ed and Ellen exited the vehicle and walked hand-in-hand inside.

“Ed, dear. I have something to show you,” said Ellen.

“Okay.”

She led him through various corridors toward the back of the mansion. They stopped outside a door.

“This is a storage room. I had all your belongings from the apartment brought here.”

Ellen opened the door and switched on a light inside.

Ed stared at all his furniture and boxes of things. “Wow, that was quick!”

“There was no reason to delay. They cleaned up your empty apartment, and you got your full security deposit back.” Ellen handed Ed a check from the landlord.

“Thank you.”

“They also ended your cable and utilities and paid the cancellation fees. You’re free.”

“Wow! I don’t know what to say.”

“If you’re more comfortable with your own bed, we can have them swapped around.”

“No. I’m fine. This is amazing!” said Ed.

“I have some very efficient staff. They like to show me how efficient they are.”

“It’s amazing! I’m so grateful to you for all this. Soon, I’ll pay you rent. I can sign over this security deposit to begin with.”

“You don’t get it, do you? I don’t need your money. I want you with me, and I want to deepen our relationship.”

“Oh, you mean?...”

Ellen interrupted/answered his question with a kiss.

A minute later. They pulled back.

“I’d like that too, but I never meant to push you into something.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close