Elegy - Cover

Elegy

Copyright© 2023 by Lumpy

Chapter 36

Sunday morning, I was sleeping in, as was usual after playing the night before. I was still flying high, and not even from the shows we’d played this weekend. Friday, there had been an article in the newspaper detailing Aaron’s father’s downfall, with damning quotes from the county supervisors about his “malicious and criminal behavior,” as they put it. The article went on to detail a lot of the things he’d done, and it did it without mentioning me by name.

I didn’t know if he would lose his law license or what the outcome of the ethics investigation would be, but that kind of thing being public was going to make it hard for him to get elected to any kind of position of authority again. Which is all I’d wanted.

I also now had four hundred thousand dollars sitting in my bank account, which were more zeros than I’d ever seen. I didn’t even begrudge Mr. Eaves taking his cut since he’d earned every dime, and then some.

Because of my mood, which was pumped up even more after our weekend shows, I’d had a lot of trouble getting to sleep Saturday night and had been looking forward to sleeping until mid-afternoon on Sunday. Which made the doorbell going off at nine in the morning so rude. Mrs. Phillips was at some real estate thing in Richmond, and Kat was already at her swim practice, which took up pretty much all of her Saturdays and Sundays until late in the afternoon, which meant I had to drag myself out of bed to tell whatever salesman was standing outside our door that I wasn’t interested.

Except, it wasn’t a salesman. It was Warren.

“Hey,” I said, groggily, leaning on the doorframe.

“Hey. I know you played late, and I’m sorry to get here so early. I flew into Asheville on the redeye last night and had to wait until eight for the rental car place to open. I was just so excited to come and talk to you, and I didn’t know how long Arthur’s promise would last.”

Maybe it was just my sleep-deprived brain that made everything he said come across as complete nonsense because I didn’t follow a word of it, except that it had to do with Mr. Eaves.

“I ... what?” I said, thoroughly confused.

He laughed and started again, “I called Arthur yesterday and made him promise I could bring you the news. The label has agreed to your deal. They’re letting you keep the rights to all of your songs and giving you the masters. I’ve never heard of a label doing anything like that.”

“Ohh, that’s great. But why are you down here to tell me? I thought you weren’t allowed to work with me anymore.”

“I’ll be honest; I’m not just here for you. I have an interview with a company in Asheville tomorrow, but I felt so bad with how everything went down, I came out early so I could come tell you personally. We haven’t spoken since everything happened, and I wanted to make sure you didn’t give up on your music career. You are one of the best talents I’ve ever heard, and you’re a genuinely good person on top of that, so I don’t want you to give up.”

“I’m not giving up. Yeah, it sucks to have to start over, but I was never going to let them take this away from me. So, you’re interviewing in Asheville? You’re looking for something new?”

“No, they let me go. Kent, too. This whole thing has turned into a fiasco. Apparently, no one ran the decision to pull your contract, or the letter they sent you, through legal.”

“I thought that came from one of the higher-up guys. Why are you and Kent getting cut?”

“That’s the way these things work. Guys that high up never pay the price for their failures. They make people like us pay.”

“Damn. I’m so sorry, man. They’re idiots because you’re amazing at your job.”

“Anyway, I just felt like, since I was your guy at MAC when everything went down, I should be the one to tell you.”

“Thanks,” I said. “I’m sorry you dragged yourself all the way out here, even if you did need to be in Asheville. You never have anything to apologize to me for. Honestly, you were the best part of working with MAC, even more than getting the record made. You booked us gigs I couldn’t imagine getting ourselves into.”

“Nah. You would have gotten there; it just would’ve taken longer. Your talent was what got you there. I just made the calls. Anyway, that’s it. I’ll let you get back to sleep,” he said, turning to walk back to his car.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close