The Pastors Replacement Bride - Cover

The Pastors Replacement Bride

Copyright© 2023 by George H. McVey

Chapter 2

Hattie

Twenty-year-old Hattie Long didn’t know what she was going to do. Orphaned at six, she’d spent six years in the Chicago City Orphanage, learning the basics of reading, writing, and mathematics, and the more important cooking, cleaning, and sewing. Then, when she turned twelve, the orphanage hired her out to one of the local brothels.

It was a common enough practice; when children were old enough to work, the orphanage hired them out, keeping 80% of their wages to pay back the care they had provided the child. The contracts made the child an indentured servant until the age of twenty-one, at which time it released them from the orphanage’s care and their work contract.

Hattie had worked in the brothel in Chicago’s affluent neighborhood as a scullery maid and cook’s helper. She was three months from her twenty-first birthday and Papa John, the brothel’s owner, had sent for her. He wanted to have a chat. The thought of what Papa John had to chat with her about had her scared. Hattie did her job to the best of her ability. She didn’t know of any infraction she may have committed.

She tried to stay out of sight of the customers since her figure had blossomed. Hattie knew what happened in the rooms upstairs, and she had no desire to be part of that. She might have no choice but to live and work here, but she spent Sundays at the Baptist church down by the docks. She’d given her heart to the Lord several years ago. Turning twenty-one and being able to leave this terrible place was all she wanted.

She arrived at Papa John’s office and timidly knocked on the door. “Come in.”

She entered and stood before the large man seated behind the mahogany desk. Even though the desk was huge, it seemed small in front of the mountain-sized man sitting behind it. “Ah, Hattie, come sit down, my girl.”

She walked over to where Papa John was indicating a chair in front of the desk. “Have I done something wrong, sir?”

Papa John laughed. “Why no, my dear, I’ve heard nothing but good things about your work. I just wanted to talk with you about your future. I don’t know if you realize this or not, but you’re about to turn twenty-one and your contract here will expire.”

“Yes sir, three months from now.”

The man nodded his head. “Yes, that’s right. Have you given any thought to what you will do then?”

Hattie squirmed in her seat. She wasn’t sure she liked where this conversation was heading. “Not really, sir. I know I’ll have to leave here, and I can’t return to the orphanage. I guess I’ll try to find a job at one of the restaurants, hotels, or bakeries around here.”

“Well, I have a different offer for you. You could stay here.”

Hattie’s heart started beating like a drum. “You’d let me keep working in the kitchen?”

Papa John smiled and shook his head. “No, the orphanage has already filled the position you will leave soon. I was thinking, with your looks and pleasant attitude, you’d do very well working in the upper rooms. I’d spend a month with you first, making sure you understood how to take care of my best customers. During that time, the girls will teach you how to dress to catch the client’s attention. Then, we’d put you on the top floor, where you’d make the most money. Why, with the comments some of my clients have already made, you’d be the house favorite in no time.”

Hattie trembled as she realized exactly what Papa John was suggesting. “I think I’ll just try to find a job in a kitchen somewhere, sir. I know how to do that.”

Papa John laughed. “How are you going to do that? Your only day off is Sunday and the people you would need to see don’t work on Sundays. Besides, do you know how many kitchen rats there are looking for work in this city? No. I’ll have the girls bring you up to my rooms the day after your birthday. That will be the best place for you. You just get ready, sweet thing. You’ll be making us lots of money in just a few short months. That will be your repayment for all the care and housing I’ve given you over the past few years.”

Papa John stood, with a look that sent her trembling into out-right shakes, and walked around the desk to where she was sitting. “As a matter of fact, I think I’ll enjoy your training very much. I think I should get a little taste of the merchandise before then.” He reached down and hauled the young girl up into his arms and forced his mouth against hers. Hattie whimpered and he let her go. “Oh yes, make sure you make those noises when we’re together. I really like that.” He shoved the girl towards the door. “Now, get back to work. I’ll see you in three months.”

Hattie ran out of the office, down the back stairs and out the kitchen door into the street. She had to figure out a way to get away before they moved her upstairs.

*****

Joshua

The week had been a frustrating one for Joshua. He had spent days in prayer, trying to decide what God wanted him to do about the unusual idea the Ladies’ Aid Society presented him. He couldn’t come up with any reason the idea should be so offensive to him. The women were right; it was an acceptable way to find a mate nowadays.

He’d talked with several of the single men in his congregation. Several of them had already talked to the women and were planning on presenting them with a letter to send. He even understood that Myrtle had a point.

Joshua could send a letter and maybe find the helpmate that he desperately needed. He’d not gotten a no during his prayer times either. In fact, except for the fact that he didn’t know how his fellow pastors back east would react, he was positive God was behind the idea. After the service today, he would have to tell Myrtle he’d write to his friends.

He actually had three friends, all fellow pastors, he thought might be open to the idea. One in Richmond, one in Philadelphia, and the other in Chicago. Between the three churches, he thought they might get enough interest to fill the needs of his community. He put that thought out of his head and strode into the church to prepare for services that morning.

With the sermon delivered, and the congregation greeted, all that was left was to face the group of women who had waited for him to give them an answer. Joshua took a deep breath and walked up to the loose group.

“Ladies, thank you for giving me the time I needed to consider and pray about your idea.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close