The Pastors Replacement Bride - Cover

The Pastors Replacement Bride

Copyright© 2023 by George H. McVey

Chapter 1

Joshua

Joshua Bryce tensed as he stood in front of the church, waiting on the Ladies’ Aid Society. Ernestine Lyman was headed down the boardwalk with a picnic basket under her arm, in what was probably her latest plan to show Joshua how she would make him the perfect pastor’s wife. Sure enough, as she caught sight of him, she waved and picked up speed, coming his way.

“Joshua, I made us a picnic. Let’s walk down to the river to eat it, darling.”

Joshua sighed. “Miss Lyman, I have told you it is inappropriate for you to call me by my first name.”

“Oh fiddlesticks, a woman has every right to call her intended by his first name, just as you have every right to call me by mine.”

His face pulled into a frown. “I am not your intended. I have made it very plain that I have no intention of marrying you.”

Ernestine stamped her foot. “I don’t see why you are so stubborn about this. I am the most logical choice here in Sanctuary. As the mayor’s daughter, I have the right social standing in the community to be the pastor’s wife. Besides, I fit all the qualities you need in a wife.”

“Really, you think you have the qualities it takes to be a pastor’s wife?”

“Yes.”

“Then let’s test that, shall we? The Clay family is all down with influenza. Why don’t you take the food in your basket over, give it to them, then stay and help Mrs. Clay clean up around the house?”

“Why ever would I do any such thing? I will not set foot into a house full of sickness.”

Joshua shook his head in disgust. “And that is just one reason I will never marry you. A pastor’s wife must be compassionate and willing to serve those less fortunate. She needs to have a heart for helping widows and orphans. You have none of those qualities.”

Anger flashed across Ernestine’s features. “We’ll see about that, Reverend Bryce. You’d better marry me soon. Daddy says that the deacons are considering replacing you as pastor. They feel it is inappropriate for a single man to minister to women in need.”

Before he could form an answer, he saw the women he’d been waiting for coming up the steps. He smiled and turned his attention to the six ladies standing below Ernestine. “Ladies, right on time I see.” He turned, opened the doors of the church for them, and followed them inside, shutting the door in Miss Lyman’s face.

Joshua took a deep breath and ran a hand through his hair. His uncle had warned him of the Deacon’s concern about his marital status. He was sure Mayor Lyman was pushing this to force him to propose to Ernestine.

The girl was certainly pretty, with her blond ringlets and blue eyes. In all honesty, she was physically quite the perfect woman, but she would not make a good pastor’s wife. Not only was she self-centered and materialistic, she’d never had to lift a finger to do anything around the house. With servants to do everything for her, Joshua doubted she could do anything someone would expect from a wife.

*****

Mrs. Williams

Myrtle Williams saw the looks the other ladies were giving her. As the oldest woman in the church, it had placed her in the leadership role that would have gone to Pastor Joshua’s wife, if he had one. She nodded to them and walked over to Joshua. “Pastor, can you come join us for a minute? We need to talk to you.”

She saw him look at the women and back at her. His eyes spoke of his discomfort in the situation and his hesitation about what they wanted to talk about. She smiled to try to reassure him. “Don’t worry, Pastor. We aren’t going to gang up on you.”

“Of course not, Mrs. Williams.” His smile was still guarded as he walked with her over to where the other ladies were sitting. He settled into the front pew and half turned to face them. “What can I do for you ladies today?”

Myrtle sat where her sewing basket was and pulled it onto her lap. “We wanted to tell you we’ve been praying about trying to do more than just making quilts and scarfs for the less fortunate. We believe God has shown us a ministry we can take on, which will help a large section of our congregation.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close