Her Hero: Next Door - Cover

Her Hero: Next Door

Copyright© 2023 by George H. McVey

Chapter 7

Kris walked into the diner with Raisa beside him, and they both came to a stop. Sitting in the booth Kris always had breakfast in was Gregori, Nestor, and two other goons. Raisa sucked in an anxious breath. “It’s okay, Raisa. They are just trying to intimidate us. However, all it does is tell us they will not let this go. Maybe you should tell your brother you are taking the day off.”

She looked at him with a startled expression. “You are going to let them run us off?”

He shook his head. “No, I’m going to give them time to calm down before I have to kill them. I’d prefer not to have to use my skill set on American soil.”

“You think you will have to kill them?”

Kris sighed. “What do you think, Raisa? You know them better than me. Is Gregori going to let this go without a fight? Is he going to give up on you because of what he heard last night?”

She bit her lip and shook her head. “No, he will think that he can beat you. He has lots of men and he will think he can separate us and then deal with you while taking me.”

Kris nodded. “That’s what I think too, so let’s go tell your brother you’re taking off.”

Again, Raisa sighed. “Why can’t he just leave me alone? There are lots of women out there who would be with him just because of who he is and what he can give them. Why must he keep trying to force me to give myself to him?”

“He seems like the type who wants what he can’t have. I would say now it’s more about looking like the winner in a contest others are noticing. He can’t let you walk away because to do so would lessen his reputation for getting what he wants.”

“So what do we do?”

“Convince him he doesn’t want you.”

“How?”

“I have some ideas. I’ll tell you when we are alone.”

Kris started directing her toward the kitchen when Nestor stood up and walked up to them, blocking their way. “Kitchens off limits to you two.”

Raisa’s face showed her shock. “This is my family’s restaurant and you have no say in who goes where. Move now.”

The big man snarled. “Not happening, kitten. As of open of business today, this restaurant belongs to Volkov Enterprises.”

She gasped. “That’s not possible. I own half of this place and I’ve signed nothing selling the diner.”

Nestor chuckled in a very mean and sinister way. “I guess you’ll have to take us to court then, but I’ll tell you now the signature on the contract will pass any scrutiny. You sold the place. Too bad you didn’t save the profits of that sale.”

She looked up at Kris, whose face showed how angry he was over this theft of her family’s diner. “You and your boss keep underestimating me. I guess I’ll just take the proof I have on your money laundering to the Feds and offer them all the resources of Blackguard Securities to help them build that case of racketeering against you both.”

The mob enforcer’s eyes narrowed. “Keep pushing, florist, and see what else happens.”

Kris shook his head. “I could and should have ended this last night. When next we tangle, I won’t be so lenient.”

He looked at Raisa. “Let’s go, sweetheart. No need to stay around here.”

Again they backed to the entrance and left. Kris was on the phone the minute they walked out the door. “Mac, the situation has escalated.”

“How so?”

So Kris explained what they were told just that day. “I need a list of all Syndicate Holdings and building assets, please.”

Mac cleared his throat. “What are you planning?”

Kris smiled and Raisa realized it wasn’t the friendly, loving smile she’d seen on his face; this one was cold and threatening. “He wants to apply pressure, then I’ll show him how expensive that can be.”

Mac groaned over the line. “Thorn, I can’t help you become a vigilante. You aren’t authorized to take on their sites.”

Kris let his information show in the smile on his face and knew his handler could hear it in his voice. “Actually, I found out last night that the money that funded my last target came from the Syndicate. They were the sellers in America. So technically Gregori and his holdings are a part of the Cartel they ordered me to eradicate, making anything I do to them authorized by that mission.”

Mac grunted, and Kris knew he was sitting with his hands steepled together under his chin. “Send me your documentation on that and I’ll make some calls and see if your mission is authorized still.”

“I will, but either way, get me that list, Mac. If you have to disavow, then I accept it.”

“You know if they allow this, it will only end one way, right?”

Steel entered Kris’ voice. “I know and honestly, I think it will probably end that way, anyway.”

“Probably. I hope she’s worth it, man.”

“She is.”

“I’ll get Moneypenny right on it. I’ll ask Moneypenny to send you what you need to Friday.”

Then the line went dead as Mac hung up.

Kris turned to Raisa. “All right, sweetheart, let’s get you to the apartment and then to the spa to get ready for our date. My treat.”

She looked up at him and tried to smile, but he could see she was sad, hurt, and overwhelmed. Kris vowed right then he’d do whatever it took to make her happy.

*****

Raisa

Raisa had never felt so conflicted, on one side her world was falling apart. At the same time, the man of her dreams was turning into her personal hero and love interest. While she was mad and upset at her brother for sneaking behind her back and working for Gregori. She was beyond mad at the Syndicate for taking over her family’s diner.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close