Her Hero: Next Door - Cover

Her Hero: Next Door

Copyright© 2023 by George H. McVey

Chapter 13

Raisa

Raisa was in love with the lake house. It was three stories tall, and the master suite was on the top floor. The room had floor to ceiling glass walls on all four sides. Except for a small corner room in the bathroom, which she was convinced held the toilet. Other than that, she had an unrestricted view of the lake in every direction. There was a queen-size platform bed in the center of the room with matching nightstands on either side. Control panels on the nightstands controlled blinds for the window wells and lights that would illuminate the room. Directly over the bed was a large window that Kris informed her was perfect for watching the stars. She couldn’t wait to try that tonight with Kris’s muscular arms around her.

This house had several panic rooms. One on the main floor behind Kris’s office was where Friday’s interface and the arsenal was. It was three times the size of the safe room in the apartment. Also on the first floor was the security office with its small attached bedroom that Nova had claimed for herself.

There was another interface to Friday, and monitors for the multitude of cameras covering the entire island and boathouse on the mainland. No one was going to sneak up on them, that was for certain. Also on the first floor was a chef’s kitchen with a breakfast nook overlooking the lake and a set of French doors that led to an outdoor kitchen and a vast deck for parties or relaxing outside. The dining room sat twelve at the large table. There was also a media room and a library. The second floor was all bedrooms, eight of them, to be exact.

The panic room for their bedroom was actually on the floor below and accessed through a hidden entrance under the bed. There was a hand plate on the side of both night stands and whichever one was activated that was the direction the bed moved away from, exposing a set of stairs into the room.

The room itself was larger than the one at the house, and there was a small arsenal in it as well. After what had happened today, Raisa could see how having weapons in the panic rooms could come in handy. She also understood how having hidden weapons in each room of the house might be useful. If she’d known how to use those weapons, she could have opened one of the hidden compartments in the kitchen and ended her abduction before it started. As it was, she was grateful for Kris and the skills he possessed, because once again, he had saved her.

Maybe, she thought, Charlotte and Nova were right, and Kris could win against Gregori.

At least she was seeing why they thought he could.

The stress of the day was hitting her, and she felt cold and achy. Raisa noticed that the huge soaker tub in the bathroom was big enough for two people to soak at once. She filled it with water as hot as she could stand it and added the lavender essential oil she found on the glass shelves beside the tub. Raisa sank into the water, trying to warm up and soak away the concerns of the day. She climbed out of the tub when she was finished, dried off with a large soft towel she found, and quickly dressed in her brilliant blue undergarments and comfy pajamas...

She wished she had some of the new sleepwear she’d bought that day, but had been told that their things would be delivered to them the next day. At least she had a pair of her favorite PJs in the bag: Kris had her store in the bug out vehicle.

Kris came up the stairs into the room and took her in his arms. “How are you, sweetheart? I know this entire ordeal has to be rough on you.”

She looked up at him and nodded. “It is, but I’m better when I’m with you. Even though I know anything can happen, you make me feel safe and protected.”

Kris leaned down and kissed her. “I’ll always protect you, Raisa. I want nothing more than to take care of you and be here with you for the rest of my life.”

She felt the way his words sparked those feelings deep inside her. She wanted the same thing. “Me too.”

He smiled. “Let’s get through this Syndicate issue, and then we can talk about the rest of our lives. For now, come downstairs. I grilled up some steak and veggies. Let’s eat and then see if we can’t chase away all the terrible memories.”

She nodded, his words sparking the desire deep within her. “I could eat, but I could use some private time with you more.”

“Food first, my love. We both need our strength and energy for that private time.”

She blushed and let him lead her downstairs to the kitchen island, where there were three plates of food. Nova, who was seated before it, had already took one plate of food. Raisa took the seat beside Nova, and Kris sat opposite her. They talked about jobs and funny encounters with people in a lighthearted way through dinner, and Raisa knew the other two were trying to help her relax. She loved Kris could be so intense one minute, protecting her and getting her to safety, and then loving the next.

Then he followed that with another type of care and protection; trying to keep her mind off everything that had been happening. It was just another reason for the feelings of love that she knew were growing toward him. If she lost him, she wasn’t sure she’d ever recover. He had worked his way deep into her heart, maybe even into her very soul. She couldn’t help but hope he was as good as everyone said and could end the threat that Gregori and the Syndicate posed to her.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close