Her Hero: Next Door - Cover

Her Hero: Next Door

Copyright© 2023 by George H. McVey

Chapter 1

Raisa

Raisa looked up as the door opened and smiled. It was seven-thirty, and he was right on time. She turned to the window where her brother was fixing the breakfasts that their customers ordered. She handed him the ticket for her favorite punctual customer, Kris, the guy next door. Maybe today would be the day he’d finally ask her out.

His eyes caught hers as she turned around, and he smiled. It sent a jolt of desire straight through every fiber of her body. He was sexy in that completely unknowing way.

Raisa watched as Kris walked to the table in the back corner of the diner. He took the chair with its back against the exposed brick wall facing the front. It was the only place he’d sit, and he would wait for that table every time. She tried to make certain to keep it free at this time of the day because she knew he’d be in to eat.

She grabbed a large to-go cup and poured his coffee. The first time he’d come in two years ago, she’d made the mistake of bringing him a normal coffee cup. He smiled and asked her if he could have a large to-go cup instead. Just like everything else that day, it had become routine. She couldn’t help but take in his looks again.

Kris was the type of man every woman dreamed about; tall, dark, gorgeous. His polo style shirt with the logo for his flower shop was stretched tight across a thick chest and shoulders. His arms strained at the sleeves. It tapered down to his waist, and she knew his abdomen was rippled with a washboard stomach because she had seen him working out on his balcony in the apartment next to hers. His jeans were black, they were always black and tight in all the right places.

She sighed and carried his drink over to him. She could look and even dream, but she knew that’s all it would be. Guys like Kris never looked at girls like Raisa. She worked in a restaurant, and while she couldn’t cook for anything, she enjoyed sampling her brother’s food a bit too much and it showed. She wasn’t some size two model and guys like Kris always went for the size two models.

“Hey Kris, here’s your java. Your order should be up in a minute.”

He smiled and nodded. That was the other thing; Kris was quiet. He hardly ever spoke. Oh sure, those first few months he said more as they got to know each other some, but he was a constant. Nothing changed. He sat in the same place, ordered the same thing, drank three cups of coffee, and took a refill with him. Paid his check in cash and left her a five-dollar tip for his breakfast, which was more than any other customer. Then he walked next door to Doghouse Flowers and made floral and gift basket arrangements to get men out of the doghouse with their ladies. That was his specialty.

Raisa wished she was bold because she’d strike up a conversation with him. But she wasn’t. She was shy and introverted. Raisa would rather be home with a wonderful book than be the life of the party. She was forced to be friendly with people here at the Diner but she needed her quiet time at home to recover. She could never tell Kris she was interested, and not just because she feared he’d tell her he didn’t return her interest. There was something between them, a connection, but she was too afraid to see what it was. She sighed as her brother hit the bell, letting her know Kris’s food was up. She carried him his breakfast and refilled his coffee. Then she went back to her place behind the counter, wishing she could just be bold once.

******

Kris Lawson walked into the Felfan Diner and smiled. There she was, Raisa, the girl next door. She lived next door, and she worked next door. He often wondered if that was a sign. She was perfect in every way. Quiet yet friendly, curves in all the right places. She wasn’t one of those tiny stick-sized women he was always afraid to touch for fear they’d break. No, Raisa was perfect, and when she smiled, his heart and soul screamed at him to make a move and claim her for himself. Then his brain would remind him he was a killer and didn’t deserve someone as sweet and innocent as Raisa.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close