Phantom Politics - Cover

Phantom Politics

Copyright© 2023 by George H. McVey

Chapter 7

The night was magical and Glenna couldn’t help thinking about it the next morning. It was Friday and the weekend was upon them. As she drank her Green Tea Smoothie that morning, she looked over her calendar and realized she had an oil change scheduled this morning over at Fish’s Fabulous Pre-Owned Cars. It was one of the extras Jimmy Troutman had thrown in to convince her to buy the pink-colored Mitsubishi she drove.

She sighed. She’d not be able to go pick up the forms for running for office this morning as she’d planned. She’d have to try to get over to the city clerk’s office at lunch and grab the forms. It was frustrating to her. The town had a website, but it was basic. Hal should be doing things like that as mayor, not running around changing the town name and trying to convince some TV show to come. It was one of the things she hoped to change when she became Mayor. Getting the focus on actual projects like Harry’s expansion, and reaching out to the ski and tourist attractions near the area, which could increase the town’s tourist income. Offering incentives for business and manufacturing to set up in the area. Those were the things the town needed, not to put all their eggs in the Phantom basket. She’d just have to win the election and make the changes happen.

Looking at the time, if she was going to get her workout in before work, she needed to get going. First, get Pinky to Jimmy’s and then beg a ride out of him to the Day Spa. He’d have one of the lot attendants bring her car to the Spa when the oil change was done like always. She really should consider doing like Mysti and getting a bike to ride around town. She could leave it in the storage room at the Spa and have it for times like these. Yeah, she’d see if Harry would be willing to go with her to the Super Center tonight. It would give her a reason to see him again, and she could ask him to put it together for her here at her house, allowing them some time alone for more of those wonderful kisses.

All those thoughts went through her head as she drove out to Fish’s. The gaudiness of his car lot never ceased to amaze her. It always looked like a carnival or circus was going on, with the six windsock people lining the road, the country music playing over the speaker system, and the sales force all trying to dress more outrageously than Fish himself.

She drove around to the service department entrance and saw Fish hurrying up to her before she could get out. He was in the brightest red suit she had ever seen in her life, with a crisp white shirt and a tie that perfectly matched the suit. To finish the look, he had on sunglasses today with white frames and the same shade of red lenses. The one thing she had to admit about Jimmy Troutman was, while his clothes were loud, they were all well cut and fit him nicely. On anyone else, they might have been too much, but with Fish, they were perfect for his boisterous personality. Trotting right beside him in a matching red bow tie around its neck was his black and white potbelly pig, Hoover. Even his pet was not the norm, but again, it fit him perfectly.

As she got out of her car, she heard him yelling at her. “There she is the Milk Chocolate Goddess herself. How you doing Glenna?”

“Jimmy Troutman, what did you just call me?” The frown on her face was more from embarrassment than anger. But really, who greeted someone like that?

Jimmy stopped and the smile on his face disappeared. “You haven’t seen the video yet?”

Now she was confused. “Video? What are you talking about?” Her hands landed on her hips in the sign all men knew meant a woman was done with his foolishness. Jimmy swallowed and fished out his iPhone, quickly bringing up the Backwoods Facebook page and putting on the video of Harry’s admission of lost love. “Um, here just watch this.”

Glenna took the phone and looked at it. She hit play and watched in shock and a touch of horror. Harry was obviously very drunk standing in the middle of the Backwoods BBQ and pouring out his frustrations on Sheri. “It’s all your fault, Sheri Spencer. We were getting close to actually thinking about dating and you” --He pointed at her and wiggled his finger-- “ruined it. I’ve loved Glenna since high school and thought we might be able to make a go of it. But NOOOOOO, you had to go and push me, and I kissed her and now she’s gone. She’s gone...” He started to cry and then stopped. “What am I gonna do, Sheri? She’s my Milk Chocolate Goddess and I want to worship her, and now she’s gone for good.” Then he turned back to the bar and poured another glass of whatever he was drinking and downed it before falling backward off the stool.

“I’m gonna kill him!”

“Well, at least you aren’t mad at me anymore. Besides, from what I hear y’all are a couple now, people will think it’s sweet. But you know, if anyone shows this to Mayor Hal you will never hear the end of it.”

“Oh, dear God, and it couldn’t come at a worse time.”

Jimmy looked intrigued “Let’s come back to that in a minute. I assume you’re here for your oil change?”

“Yes, and I need a ride if you don’t mind.”

“Not at all. Leave your car keys in the car and I’ll run ya to the spa. Now, tell me why you said the video couldn’t come at a worse time?”

Glenna bit her bottom lip. “I’m not sure if I should. I don’t want Mayor Hal to catch wind of it, yet.”

“Come on Glenna, I won’t breathe a word to Horrible Hal. I swear that old man needs to retire. Of course, then he’ll just get Harry to do his bidding. No offense.”

They climbed into Jimmy’s Yellow Dodge Charger, with Hoover scrambling into the back seat and laying down with a squeal. Glenna couldn’t help but laugh. “I’m sorry Hoover, I know you want to be upfront. I’ll be getting out quickly.” Then she turned to Fish. “I don’t think Harry will be running for Mayor. He is just starting to expand the B&B into an Inn, that’s what those papers Gladys gave me the other night were, his permits. But...”

Jimmy glanced at her “But what?”

Glenna took a deep breath, if she was going to do this she needed to start gaining some support from those she’d be working with in leadership. Jimmy was a perfect test candidate. While he had agreed with Hal because it was expected of him, he’d made it plain through his sarcastic comments he didn’t like it. If Hal wasn’t Mayor maybe he’d vote the way he felt and be a real asset to the community. “I need you to keep this between us ‘til next Friday, okay?”

He frowned. “Sure...”

“I’m going to declare my candidacy for Mayor next week. I think it’s time someone besides a Gladstone was leading the direction of our town.”

Fish’s foot momentarily came off the accelerator of his Hemi-powered rocket. “Seriously? Glenna that’s great. I think some of your ideas are amazing. You’ll make a great Mayor. How can I help?”

Glenna turned to look at him. “You want to help me?”

“Well yeah! Hello, I just said you’d make a great Mayor.”

“Thanks, Fish, let’s figure out a game plan after next week. Maybe we can sit down on the following Monday and strategize.”

“Yeah, but make sure Harry knows it’s just work. I mean if he ain’t running for Mayor I ain’t got no reason to not like the guy. He’s a pretty decent fellow and I don’t want him to think I’m after his Milk Chocolate Goddess.”

Glenna knew she was blushing. “I’m really going to have to kill him.”

She climbed out of Fish’s car as he was laughing. “Thanks for the ride.”

“Yep, I’ll have one of the guys drop your car off when it’s done.” He sped off.

Glenna started her day but wondered about the fallout of Harry’s drunken declaration. Also, she wondered about Harry, she’d never known him to get drunk. Was she missing something important with him? She’d need to know and soon. Just then she got a text from him.

“What are we doing tonight?”

She smiled. She’d talk to him tonight. I need a man to help me with something so I’m thinking about meeting up with my dad tonight.”

“Is it something I can do?”

She smiled and then got a mischievous thought. “Yes, your Goddess commands you to attend her tonight. Bring tools.”

There was a longer pause before the reply “Oh God, you saw the video! I’m so sorry. I should have known better than to drink so much. I never drink.”

Glenna frowned, that wasn’t true. Obviously, he’d had a drink at the restaurant last night. “Let’s talk about this tonight. I’ll order pizza, say six?”

“Sounds good. ‘til then my Goddess.”

She sighed. Well, she couldn’t get upset, she’d started it this time.

*****

Harry put his phone in his pocket. He was going to spend the night helping Glenna. He hoped it wasn’t going to be anything too manly. Because he could follow directions, but if she wanted him to do any kind of real home repair, he’d have to call his little brother to help, and no one wanted to bring their little brother with them on a date. ‘Course, if he brought Heath he could make him do the task while he made out with Glenna. That put a smile on his face as he envisioned making out with her while Heath did home repairs in the other room.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close