Phantom Politics - Cover

Phantom Politics

Copyright© 2023 by George H. McVey

Chapter 21

Glenna woke with a headache. The constant beeping of something wasn’t helping it. She was confused, where was she? Last she remembered she’d fallen into the ravine beside the running trail in the park. Now she was in a very tight space with someone else. She seemed to be in a hospital bed, but a very familiar form was pressed up against hers. She looked down and realized that Harry’s arm was draped across her waist. She started to turn only to realize that caused her head to hurt. Then she felt the brush of his lips against her neck. “Don’t move, you’re safe.”

“I’m also squished.”

She heard the side rail on his side drop and then he wasn’t in bed with her anymore. Part of her wanted to cry for him to come back, but she could turn easier now. It still caused her head to hurt though.

“Careful, Sweetheart, the doctor said you had a bad concussion and sudden movements might cause you pain and even dizziness for a while.”

She finished turning. “I needed to see you.”

She looked into his face as he moved closer to the bed and put his head on the mattress so close to hers she could feel his breath. “You have seen me. We’ve talked several times. Don’t you remember? They had me wake you every couple of hours to make sure you were okay.”

“They did?”

He grinned and nodded. “Yep.”

Then she started to cry. “I thought I was dying.”

He climbed right back into the bed with her, wrapping his arms around her carefully. “Oh, Honey. It’s okay. You’re safe. Grandpa Harold and Thor saved you.”

“That was a ghost? The man on the trail?”

“It sure was. Came and got me, Trent, and Lucas. Lucas even got some pictures of him and Thor. Not very good pictures but pictures, nonetheless.”

“Guess that means the paranormal team is going to come investigate?”

“Guess so. Hal said he signed a contract with Lucas for four shows and a live Halloween special investigation. They’ll be here the first week in October.”

“Harry, will you do something for me?”

“Anything, Goddess. You know that.”

Tears started down her face again. “Will you kiss me? Not a safe kiss. I want you to kiss me like you did at the Backwoods.”

Harry didn’t say a word, but leaned in and kissed her with all the passion she knew he had for her. She responded to his kiss. Her mouth opening to his tongue, letting it in to taste her. She put her arm around his neck and scooted up against him. Her own tongue darting in to make love to his mouth. She felt him respond to her then pull back. “I think that’s all of that we can do right now.”

“I’m sorry.” She cried as he pulled away. “I’m sorry I didn’t trust you. I’m sorry I pushed you away. As I lay there in that ravine, I thought I was dying, and all I could think was I’d lost you without telling you how much I love you.”

“Honey, you didn’t die and you have nothing to be sorry about. I love you, too. That’s why I gave you the time and space you needed. I’ll keep giving them to you as long as you need me to.”

“No Harry!” She wept. “Please come home with me. I don’t want any more space. I want you in my life, in my heart, and in my bed. Please?”

He kissed her again to let her know everything was going to be alright. “You don’t have to beg, Glenna. I’ll be right here ‘til we can go home, and then I’ll be right there with you the rest of our lives. Mayor Schumacher.”

She shook her head “No, not Schumacher. Gladstone. I’m Glenna Gladstone, now and forever.”

Then she kissed her husband and knew she’d never doubt him again. He was hers and all it took was an encounter with the Phantom Horse and Rider for her to put away every doubt. She closed her eyes and whispered, “Thank you Grandpa Harold.”

She never knew if it was her imagination when she heard the quiet chuckle, “My pleasure, Lil’ Lady.”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close