Phantom Politics - Cover

Phantom Politics

Copyright© 2023 by George H. McVey

Chapter 18

First thing Monday morning Harry went to City Hall, he walked into the clerk’s office and stood in front of Kevin Jones. “Hello, Mr. Jones.”

“Harry, how can I help you?”

“I’ve come to have my name taken off the ballot for the mayoral race.”

Kevin looked a little nervous. “I’m sorry Harry, but no can do. I was told after Friday those ballots were locked.”

“Well, that’s going to be a problem, Kevin. You see, I have been told you have an application with my signature on it. Is that correct?”

“Of course, I do.”

“Well, here’s the problem. I never applied to be on the ballot. Someone forged my signature. So, if you can’t remove me, I guess I’ll have to name the city in my lawsuit, along with whoever’s finger prints turn out to be on that application.”

“Harry, I’m sorry, but I was warned you might try to do this. I could lose my job if I take you off the ballot.”

Harry shook his head. “See, here’s what I don’t get. Everyone I talk to keeps saying things like that to me. But no one is thinking long term.”

Kevin’s face showed his confusion. “What do you mean, long term?”

“It seems everyone is indicating that the current Mayoral Administration might end their employment, no one seems to remember, if I don’t get off this ballot, I might be the new Mayor in January; against my will. I wonder how many of the people who force me to become mayor will still be working here come the end of January, don’t you?”

He walked out, leaving the man sputtering. He took the elevator up one floor to Bernie Slater’s office. “Is Mr. Slater in?” he asked the secretary.

“He is and he’s expecting you, Harry.”

“Thanks.” Harry knocked on the door and heard his friend tell him to come in.

After shutting the door, he took a seat across the desk from the city attorney, who also acted as the city’s prosecutor. “So, Bernie we need to talk. I have a real problem and I need to know what my legal recourse is, if any.”

“Kevin wouldn’t remove your name from the ballot, huh?”

“Nope, said that the ballot was locked Friday after the deadline passed.”

“Well it’s true no one can be added to the ballot, but I don’t think legally the city charter says a name can’t be removed after the deadline. I’ll have to check into that.”

“So, what can I do here? I mean, I really don’t want to press charges against my own father for identity theft and fraud; but I can’t run against my wife for mayor either.”

“Well, maybe you won’t have to. Here’s what I’ve been thinking. You know, I’m good friends with Amy Petrowich and her husband. Let me start an investigation into this. I’ll have Trent go pick up the application, dust it for prints, take a statement from you. We’ll generally let it be known we’re investigating ballot manipulation and identity theft allegations and leak it to Amy.”

“Okay, how does that help me?”

“I know her, this is a good story and one that is current and no one else has it. I’ll throw in you don’t want to run for mayor because you and Glenna got married a week ago. I’ll indicate you think it’s a conflict of interest for you both to run. Everyone knows how adamant you’ve been that you don’t want to be mayor. I’ll indicate Hal seems to be running your campaign, but we have no proof of wrongdoing. She’ll rush to interview him.”

“I like it. That will definitely get him scrambling.”

Bernie grinned. “Let’s call her right now.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close