Phantom Politics - Cover

Phantom Politics

Copyright© 2023 by George H. McVey

Chapter 13

It was time to leave for the church. In less than an hour they would be married. That’s all Harry could think about.

The time had been a running clock in his head since Glenna had said yes. Now they were in the home stretch. After putting the third karat heart cut diamond with the diamond chip eternity twist platinum ring on her finger, he’d paid the Jeweler. Then it was five hours ‘til they were to be married. They’d gone out and gotten the marriage license and it had been three hours and twenty minutes ‘til they’d be husband and wife. He’d taken a shower and she’d joined him, which led them to the bedroom, leaving them with two hours ‘til they’d become one. After they’d both had quick second shower and gotten dressed, they’d headed for the church and now they were less than an hour from the fulfillment of a dream neither of them had ever thought would become reality.

Harry took the last turn and pulled into the church’s parking lot and frowned. “That’s strange.”

Glenna looked at him “What’s strange?”

He pointed at a silver Lexus parked just a few spaces away. “That looks like Mom’s car.”

Glenna laughed. “It’s Denver, Harry. There are probably hundreds of silver Lexus sedans here.”

“Yeah, but not with a Gladstone City Hall parking decal in the window.”

“Why would your mom be here? More importantly how could she be here? I didn’t tell her which church we were getting married at.”

The side door of the church opened and Sue Gladstone and Carl Shumacher came down the stairs. “That answers your question of how, she asked your Dad.”

“Who else did she tell?”

“I don’t know. Let’s go find out.”

Harry hopped out of the little pink car and his mother started laughing. He ignored her and went around opening the door for Glenna and helped her out of the car. Sue gasped as Glenna came into view, causing Harry to smile. The dress was perfect and his mother knew it. Together he and Glenna walked over to their respective parent. “Mom, what are you doing here?”

She hugged him. “You didn’t think I was going to miss seeing you wed your true love, did you?”

“Please tell me no one knows what you’re doing.”

She looked him in the eye and he could see the irritation with him reflected in them. “Harold Jefferson Gladstone the Fifth, have you ever known me to break a confidence?”

He was properly chastised by her mother voice. “No, Ma’am. But I know you had to tell Dad something to explain your being gone so long.”

She grinned and nodded. “Of course, I did. I told him I was going to visit with a friend for a few hours. Which I am. Carl is a friend and I thought Glenna might regret not having her father walk her down the aisle for her real wedding.”

Just then Glenna came over and pulled Sue into a hug. “Thank you so much. Not having Daddy here was the only thing I was regretting about this decision.”

His mom smiled at her. “Honey, I know how impetuous Harry can be, and I thought every girl needs her Daddy to walk her down the aisle. So, I went and got him and you’re very welcome. Now let’s go get you two married.”

*****

Glenna took her Dad’s arm as they led the way to meet with Pastor Gleason. She wasn’t surprised when her Dad asked her, “Are you sure about this, Honey? I mean, you’ve only been seeing Harry for a week. You can slow this down if you want. Just say the word and I’ll stop the whole thing.”

She smiled at her Dad and laid her head on his shoulder. “Daddy, I’m sure. I love him and I want us to be husband and wife. I don’t want to wait, but thank you for asking me.”

He put his arm around her. “I just needed to make sure this was what you wanted. Your mom would have loved that dress. She would have been thrilled you’re following your heart, too.”

“I know, Daddy. I miss her, especially today. I still have you though and in just a few more minutes, I’ll have Harry.”

Her Dad stuck his hand in his pocket and pulled out a hanky to wipe his eyes. “Damn allergies. It’s all these blasted flowers. How did Pastor Gleason get so many in such a short time?”

Glenna smiled, knowing the tears weren’t from allergies, but she’d play along. No sense embarrassing him in front of Harry and Sue Gladstone. She knew he was struggling with her attaching herself to their family. He disliked Hal and always would. “I think Harry probably had more to do with that than Pastor Gleason. He’s done everything he can think of to make this a special memory for me.”

Just then, Pastor Gleason and a man with a camera stepped toward them.

“Glenna, it is good to see you again, and your father. I was surprised to get your call this morning.”

She smiled at the older man and gave him a quick hug as the photographer snapped a couple of quick photos. “It was sort of a spur of the moment decision, Pastor. We were coming to pick out an engagement ring and decided we didn’t want to wait any more. Let me introduce you to my fiancé. She took the pastor’s arm and led him to Harry and Sue. “Pastor Gleason this is Harry Gladstone and his mother Sue.”

Harry reached out and shook the Pastor’s hand. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, sir. Thank you for doing this on such short notice. Glenna didn’t tell me how much you needed to perform the ceremony and the use of your church, I hope this is enough.” Harry started to hand the man an envelope from the hotel. Pastor Gleason held up his hand in a stopping motion. “We don’t charge our congregation for weddings or funerals. While Glenna has moved back to Gladstone, we still consider her part of our congregation, so there is no charge.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close