His Only Weakness - Cover

His Only Weakness

Copyright© 2023 by Felicia Breneé

Chapter 7

“Well, Brady Armstrong, as I live and breathe.”

Brady leapt to his feet, gawking at Heather. “Li’l Dove, I mean, Heather. What are you doing here?” Chatter filled the restaurant, waiters bustled around the table where he had been sitting. Table for one with two chairs.

“I eat too, Brady!” She snapped. “Mable is still in the hospital.” She looked as though she was forcing herself to speak more civilly. “After the big accident on 70, Grandma and I did our thing and I called Poppy. She said they want to keep little Mable one more night.”

“What seems to be the problem?”

“They’re worried she sustained a head injury.”

“She didn’t hit her head.” Brady ran the scene through his mind. She hadn’t any sign of trauma on her noggin’. When the rockslide fell over them, he made sure she was tucked under his body. He took the brunt of the falling rocks. He was sure of it.

“Well, Poppy said she’s been talking like she did.”

Brady swallowed. Mable’s little voice echoes in his memory. Doggy save me. Did she tell them he turned and the monster saved her from the rockslide? “What’d she say?”

Heather chuckled. “She keeps talking about a doggy saving her. I told Poppy she probably saw a coyote or something like that and the image stuck in her head. She’s only four years old. Who knows?”

“Yeah, who knows?” Could he rely on everyone not believing her because she was a child? Maybe this was the time to tell Heather the truth. The reason he had walked away when she lost the baby. Let her know he wasn’t a complete asshole. He was a shapeshifter and turned into a hideous dog-like monster whenever his life was threatened. He didn’t want to pass the curse on, and that was why he couldn’t see her or be with her ... ever.

“But to be safe, they are running tests. Poppy feels pretty certain they’ll let her go home tomorrow.” She stopped to draw in a deep breath. “Anywho ... I’m back in the Springs to give Poppy a break. She left Mable’s room long enough to go to the hospital cafeteria and eat a bite then ran me out because I made the mistake of mentioning I hadn’t had a chance to eat all day either. So I thought I’d get some Chinese and go back. She’s gotta be exhausted.”

She paused to determine his attention, just like she always did. “You okay?”

“Yeah, I, uh, ... you want to join me?” Brady winced. Why did he say that? Inviting her to sit with him was the last thing he should have done. She hesitated. For that stretch of two seconds, he thought maybe she would say no and his mistake would be fixed.

“Sure. Why not?”

Brady pulled the chair beside him out for her to sit down. Cautiously, she accepted. Brady returned to his seat and handed her his menu. He’d already decided on the lo mein. She took the menu and disappeared behind it.

Should he apologize? Spill the beans? Would she believe him? More importantly, would she forgive him? The monster saved a lot of lives in Iraq, although his men would never share that truth. As a man, Brady had done very little to deserve the metals that were pinned on his uniform. It was only when the monster emerged that he and his men were saved from being overrun by the enemy. If it weren’t for the monster, he and Mable would have been crushed in the rockslide. That was the truth.

But how could he tell Heather? How could she understand that was why he couldn’t procreate with her or any female, no matter how much he longed to be with her, body and soul for the rest of his life? He just couldn’t do that to her. She loved children. He couldn’t ask her to remain childless just because of his family legacy.

“What are you having?” She peeked over the leather menu holder.

“Oh. I’m having the pork lo mein.”

“Hmm.” She turned a page. “That sounds good.” Closing the menu, she folded her hands on top of it. “I think I’ll have the chicken moo goo gai pan. Better to keep it simple and not spicy since I’ll probably be sitting up with Poppy all night. I wish I could talk her into going home for a little while.”

“Did they bring in a cot for her?”

“Oh, sure. But she looks exhausted. You’re probably right though. Even if she went home, her mind would still be with Mable in the hospital. I get that. Maybe what I ought to do is relieve Hank and stay with Marla tonight so he can go up to the hospital with Poppy.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close