His Only Weakness - Cover

His Only Weakness

Copyright© 2023 by Felicia Breneé

Chapter 3

Heather Richards lay in her sleeping bag alone. In fact— her eyes darted across the campsite— she was alone. Why had she gone camping alone? The hissing sound of the fire shushed her mind, cradled her anxiety, comforted her, and lulled her like the sleep-inducing sounds that played on her HoMedic box at home. It was soothing to lay here, far from the hustle of her work. No dead bodies to autopsy, no meetings to attend, no traffic. Simple, relaxing— She lay perfectly still, listening to the campfire pop and crackle. The crisp chill of night passed over her skin like the soft touch of a lover, sending a shudder in its wake. She tucked deeper inside the sleeping bag, just opening one eye.

The campground looked distorted by the orange flickering fire. Even the grass and tree line encircling the campsite had an odd wavy appearance. An eerie feeling chilled her blood.

A snap rent the air. It came from the trees. She stiffened. Was it a bear? Her eyes darted in the direction of the sound, but her head wouldn’t turn. She couldn’t move! Terror filled her. With each breath, she breathed harder, deeper. Her heart pounded. Too fast. Slow down, don’t hyperventilate. But she couldn’t stop her own panting.

Another snap!

A shadow crept out of the tree line. It wasn’t a bear, too thin. It placed one paw forward, deliberately moving toward her. Her breath came even quicker. Her heart drummed against her ears. Should she run? Play dead?

Why couldn’t she move?

Closer the beast idled toward her, sniffing the air. The fire reflected in its dark marble eyes. Long, dark matted fur glistened in the strange orange of the firelight. Her throat tightened with panic. Her scream, silenced in her open mouth. Her eyes stung, but she couldn’t blink to moisten them. She stared at the advancing human-dog-like creature. He was terrifying, and yet familiar, exotic. Its musk scent wafted from his wet fur. She knew that scent. But how?

Slowly, purposefully, he sniffed the edge of her sleeping bag. Pushing the unzipped edge aside. Why hadn’t she zipped it before she crawled in? Its warm tongue licked her ankle, tasting her. A shiver raced up her spine. There was something erotic in this terrifying connection.

The beast nudged the sleeping bag from her legs, exposing them to the chilling air, and yet his warm breath and the fire covered her with moist heat she couldn’t explain. A thrill exploded through her body. She swallowed hard.

He crawled over the length of her. Somehow, her sleeping bag had opened, exposing her body to the beast. Her usual t-shirt and boxers were gone.

He dipped his head slightly over her feminine tuft, then lifted his snout upward, drawing her scent into his snout. A shudder washed over its back, sending elation through her body. She knew it was wrong, but she enjoyed it all the same.

She couldn’t understand why her body was reacting this way to such a horrifying beast. She could die any moment, and yet ... arousal flooded her bloodstream. Was that what he inhaled so wantonly? It was terrifying and exhilarating at the same time. Her eyes remained fixed on the fire flicking in its beady eyes.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close