My Molly - Cover

My Molly

Copyright© 2023 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 9: Community is Important

Gabriel wakens with hope in his heart. Yesterday when Molly got Kate a glass of water from the bathroom she not only went ten feet away from him, but she went out of his line of sight and that is something she had not done in the two days since coming to her rescue. True she only did it because Gabriel’s leg was hurting him, but she did it. It took great courage and it made Gabriel very proud of that young lady. For when we awaken and live out our days with love, hope and faith we show Jesus we have gratitude in our hearts for all that he went through.

“Hey, Bob, I have someone I want you and Susan to meet.” Gabriel is calling not only his friend, but the very person who was his sponsor and god father into the Catholic faith.

“Alright. Who might it be?”

“Let me put it this way, God has at last sent me out to fight for one of his children in the flesh, not just the spirit like He did with Sofia, Little Bit and Sad Girl with a Smile.”

“Good. I told you it would come if your prayers were true and you were patient.”

“Patient? Me? Anyway, we’ll probably be seeing you Sunday for church. But you do need to understand that I’m in the middle of a battle with true and pissed demons.”

“To run from conflict is to give them an easy victory. We stand with God and our community.”

“Alright, my brother, if you could put two ladies named Kate and Molly into your prayers. They are the ones under demonic attack. Molly is only eleven years old.”

“I’ll put a prayer request out on the hotline for my prayer group. God bless.”

“Yeah, God bless.” Gabriel hangs up and hands the phone to Kate to put on the charger.

“Who was that?”

“Well, sweetheart, that was my friend Bob and if you stay in my life like I hope you are going to, you are going to spend a lot of time around him and his wife. In fact, his wife used to be a nun.”

“What is a nun?”

“A nun is a pure woman who has dedicated her life to God from within the Catholic Church. She is an absolute sweetheart also; you’ll love her. She is sick right now so we need to keep her in our prayers.”

“Okay.”

“In a little while here I have to go to Lodi Wound Care and get my bad leg checked out. I know Molly is going to go with me, but what about you Kate?”

“I think I’ll stay and get some more sleep, if that is alright.”

Gabriel hesitates a second before answering as he is running all the possibilities quickly through his mind. He doesn’t like to be mistrustful, but something is just off. “That’s fine. I’m going to take a shower.”

Gabriel goes into the bathroom and starts to shut the door, but Molly is there. He opens the door enough to let her in and then leaves the door open halfway.

“Come on, Aunt Kate.”

That’s alright, you two go ahead, I don’t want to stand up right now; my head hurts.”

“Oh, okay.”

And so begins a time of innocence, trust and love.

Molly looks like she is deep in thought. As Gabriel is testing the water temperature Molly says, “Gabriel?”

“Yes, my precious girl.” those words are gentler upon her than any touch.

“I wish you were my daddy.”

Gabriel’s heart soars, but it almost breaks too. This sweetheart so badly needs not just love but structure and certainty. With misty eyes he says, “Well thank you. I wish that too. I hope I have and will continue to earn that.”

Molly nods big and says emphatically, “You have! And you will.” She definitely walks with God.

“Well I kind of figure you don’t just let any old, out-of-shape, scarred and tattooed man undress you.”

“You’re not that old.”

“Humph.”

Then Molly thinks about what her incomplete words said and says, “Sorry.”

“No, no, its okay, it’s true I am out of shape.” Then Gabriel quickly turns his head and sniffles in mock hurt feelings.

Molly isn’t buying any of it, but she says, “I think you are beautiful.”

“You do, well thank you. You know that is a coincidence.”

“Why?”

“Because I think you are beautiful too, my precious girl.”

They talk as if they are having a regular everyday conversation. The fact that they are taking a shower changes absolutely nothing, but only adds to the splendid nature of God’s creation and gift of their unification.

The shower goes quick and safe enough. With Gabriel’s bad leg it is always a precarious time when he takes a shower, but skirting back and forth around a young lady isn’t really helping the situation. But Gabriel would not change this moment of love, trust and pristine purity for anything.

“Can I wear this tonight?”

“Where did you get that?”

“Out of your closet. I like the white bear, but what is a Harley?”

“It is a polar bear and a Harley is a motor cycle. My brother Steve bought me that from Alaska.”

“I’ll take care of it.” Molly is not the first girl to adopt a man’s Harley Davidson shirt as a nightgown. Gabriel has just found his second favorite outfit for Molly.

Gabriel puts on some boxer shorts and Molly has him put his Harley shirt on her temporarily. As soon as they are done with that they walk out into the bedroom and Gabriel finishes drying Molly’s hair off. Then he sits up by the head of the bed and Molly sits in front of him. He starts brushing her hair: one of Gabriel’s favorite things to do. When Molly’s hair is shinning, Gabriel says, “About face.”

“Huh?”

“Turn around and face me.”

They continue their conversation as if they are at a church picnic. Gabriel puts the final touches of brushing on her hair and then bends over and kisses her. He sets the brush on the end table and when he turns around he sees Molly looking at him.

“Yes.”

“I think everything is going to be okay now.”

“Oh, wow, well that’s good to know.”

“Yep!”

“So what would you like to wear today? I think the three tiered white dress I have will fit you. You want to try it on?”

“Yes please.”

After they are dressed and have killed an hour before they have to leave they finally are in the truck ready to go. Molly speaks out of nowhere and asks, “Do you trust Aunt Kate?”

Gabriel is amazed at Molly’s insight. “Honestly, no. You?”

“Now I know she saved me from something very horrible, but something she was a part of. I just don’t know. Sometimes when she looks at me I feel as if she is thinking something ... uh different. Do you know what I mean?”

Gabriel nods his head at this amazing girl and smiles. “I do. I too feel she has her own agenda.”

“What is agenda?”

“Agenda is when somebody’s actions are purely what are best for her. I can’t quite figure it out yet either, but I too feel something is ... off. I think we should pray on it.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close