My Molly - Cover

My Molly

Copyright© 2023 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 46: Into The Hills

It is a three day event and doesn’t start for another two days. “Hot tub, here we come.” Molly doesn’t argue. It had been awhile since Gabriel had rode a motor cycle and especially for as many miles as they rode, but he was glad that he got to share that with Molly. It is a rare and unique experience of freedom and as Molly found out the people who live it can be quite wonderful.

But both of them doubt that is why God sent them on this sojourn. Molly either knows more or senses more, but not only has God answered his prayers to be a soldier of God, but he gets to do it with Molly at his side; and that fulfills more dreams than he could of ever believed.

As they are lying on the bed snuggling, “Gabriel?”

“Yeah babe.”

“Are you ready?”

“Ready for what, babygirl?”

“Ready to prove once and for all that if you don’t belong, then none of us do.”

Now she has his attention. “Belong where?”

“Heaven, of course.”

“Oh, well thank you.”

“If you don’t get to go there then I don’t want to either.”

“Hey, I do not want to hear any more talk like that. I did some pretty bad things in my youth. I don’t do the things I do, in the service of our Lord, to get into heaven, I do them because it needs to be done and it is the right thing to do. My faith drives me to service. I know this because of how doing good and helping other people makes me feel, not just about myself, but my perception of the whole world and the people who live here.”

“The Bible says, ‘peace to people of good will’.”

“That’s right, I want all to repent, but I will fight any and all who lead people further away from those chances to see the glory I see.”

Molly looks heavenward and says, “See Father.”

Gabriel smiles and rubs her back. Before falling asleep Molly looks at the flyer they grabbed for the convention and something makes her sit up, “Gabriel.”

Half asleep, “What, babe.”

“The convention is in Alabama.”

Gabriel grabs the paper and looks, “Oops. It’s past Birmingham up into the shallow Appalachians. Well we’re still in Mississippi so we are going to have to get an early start.”

They sleep until dawn and then pack and head out for the Charismatic gathering. Gabriel has always wanted to go to one, but just never made it, “But now I get to do it with ‘My Molly’.”

They drive straight through Alabama. It is amazingly beautiful, but they move with purpose. Out of Birmingham they hit 20 and go to 431. It’s out in a field between the towns of Anniston, Gadsden and Piedmont. Of course as they were driving the sign that said Talladega did not miss his attention. That made him think of his favorite Talladega.

“What’s Talladega?”

“It is a NASCAR racetrack. Oh man how I want to take you to a NASCAR race!”

“Why?”

“I guess because it’s like the bikers, they are just a unique beautiful people and culture.”

“Oh.”

They think to continue the conversation, but then they see the directions and soon are pulling in and parking. As Molly and Gabriel are walking in amongst the hundreds of people they all turn to look at Molly. Some smile, others just nod like everything is going as planned. There is a little chill in the air, but Molly has her favorite pink shorts and kitten t-shirt on.

Never being to one of these before he wasn’t sure what to expect, but he is tingling all over, not so much his body, but his spirit in expectation of something wonderful.

“Hello, folks, just keep moving right along to the front, it will begin in a minute.”

“Well, I guess that’s us.”

“How do you know that, young lady?”

“Because I’m adorable.”

“No fair.”

Molly laughs and pulls him through the crowd. Even though the people don’t turn around to see them coming they move out of their way. “It’s close now.”

Gabriel pulls Molly to a stop and looks at her, all the way to her spirit. Molly is trying to pull him, but he is not moving. Molly looks back in frustration and Gabriel pulls his hand free from hers and crosses his arms. He doesn’t say anything, he just stares at her.

“Come on.” Gabriel just stares at her. Molly stamps her foot and repeats, “Come on, we’re the guests of honor.”

Gabriel is seriously thinking about turning around and leaving. He never did like big crowds and he sure as hell has never enjoyed being the center of attention. “What are you talking about?”

“Come on, it’s almost time.”

Gabriel grabs her by the arm and starts dragging her in the other direction. He is going to get some damn answers this time. “Let’s talk.”

“Later, I’ve gone through too much to stop now.”

Gabriel is having none of it; he just drags the hapless Molly away from the crowd. The one surefire way to get Gabriel involved is to endanger a gentle. There is a great murmur spreading throughout the crowd. Gabriel looks back to the stage and behind that in the sky are rolling black clouds quickly heading their way. The lightning is minimal, but the thunder is earth shaking.

Gabriel stops and puts himself between Molly and this ‘thing’ coming towards them. Molly pokes her head around him and looks at the evil coming and she smiles. She jumps out in front of him and starts pulling again, “Come on, it is time for the choosing.”

“What the hell are you talking about, young lady?”

“Or heaven!”

“What?”

“Come on!”

Gabriel gives up and lets Molly pull him to the front. Molly and he are now standing between the now recognizable entity and the crowd. Normally Molly would take his hand, but this time she pushes him forward alone.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close