My Molly - Cover

My Molly

Copyright© 2023 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 38: Decisions

At long last they reach Texarkana. As they took 16 back up to 20 and then 20 through the Dallas area and then out of Dallas they took 30 into Texarkana they were able to help another half dozen people, but probably the most important time they got to spend was one; teaching Sandra and Eric even more scripture, they are truly well on their way to be evangelists, and two; they were able to show that the sin was not Michael’s or even Martha’s as she was forcibly used for evil ceremonies and they have glory awaiting them if they put in the effort.

“It’s been awhile since I’ve slept in a regular bed, we’re going to a nice hotel tonight.” Nobody argues with Gabriel.

It is true Texas is big, but most of their time was spent zigzagging through it in whatever fashion the Lord directed them to do so. By the time they cross the border into Arkansas, September is coming to a close.

The water jet bathtub is doing almost as much for Gabriel as is his pure and innocent daughter who is relaxing right next to him. “Gabriel?”

“Yes my beautiful daughter, what can I do for you?”

It is amazing how simple truthful words of love spoken between two people can bring a shared joy between them that cannot be found anywhere else. “I know we are supposed to be turning north and start making our way into the Appalachians, but I feel as if we are meant to go south first.”

Gabriel agrees and then adds, “You know I love our new friends, but the Lord has put on my heart that we still have something to do before we reach the mountains. As always you complete me in every way.”

They relax and take comfort in each other for another half hour, but it is now time to speak to their friends. Molly puts on a full-length nightgown while Gabriel puts on his red plaid cotton pajamas. “Guys.”

“You’re leaving us.” Molly is glad how far Sandra has come in her charismatic gifts. Everybody else looks at them.

“Yes, both Gabriel and I feel as if we have something to accomplish in the other direction.”

“We’ll go with you.”

“Thank you, Eric, but Molly and I both feel it has to be this way.” They are sad, but understand for they have experienced some truly amazing things since they’ve known them.

True to their word they get Martha and her son a place to stay and even help her find a job. Sandra takes it the hardest, for she has fallen in love with her bestest friend Molly. Gabriel gets the bus tickets home and Molly gives them some extra cash. As Gabriel is watching Sandra and Molly hugging, he is happy for her because Molly really hasn’t got to live a normal life. She is being forced to grow up too quickly. As they wave goodbye as the bus drives off, it is the last time they would ever see them ... well sort of.

Molly walks back over to Gabriel and he puts his arm around her shoulders, “Shall we get a bite to eat before we take off?” Molly nods. As they are walking away Molly never looks back.

They take 49 south out of Texarkana and it won’t take them long to get to the Louisiana border. They don’t make it five miles down the street when they come across a fourteen year old, overweight, short scraggly purple haired girl, wearing a collage of ugly bright clothes walking down the street in a daze. Gabriel pulls over a few yards ahead of her and they wait. It takes an amazingly long time for the near obese teenage girl to get to them. When she gets to the motor home she has her head down and is walking by them when Molly stops her, “Hi.”

The girl starts in utter amazement that somebody actually talked to her, “Uh Hi.”

“My name is Molly and this is my daddy Gabriel.”

“My name is Trinny.”

“That’s a pretty name.” Again she is shocked somebody is being nice to her. She smiles to show her crooked teeth. “How old are you, Trinny?”

“Fourteen. How old are you?”

“Twelve. Trinny?”

“Yes.”

“You seem kind of ... uh ... in a daze.”

Molly has this effect on most people, but Trinny just opens the floodgates and lets fourteen years of suppressed, oppressed and confused feelings stream out of her. “People are so mean! I used to be normal, but when I hit Junior High I was either invisible or a target for bullies.”

“Don’t you have any friends?”

“I had one, her name was Carla, she was fat. Do you know that I was skinny when I hit seventh grade, but by the end of the year I was as fat as my friend. Her dad did something to her and she moved away with her mom. Whenever I went over to their house her dad was always so nice and always paying attention to us; I wish my dad would pay attention to me.”

“Did you know, in a way, being ‘blind’ does not mean you cannot see, it can mean you feel like you can’t be seen, so then you start doing extreme things to get people to look at you.”

“I do that!”

From behind them Gabriel interjects, “Can I guess now when people look at you, you often think they are thinking bad things about you?”

“Yes!” and then she stops and the realization hits her of what she has truly done to herself. “I ... uh ... huh?”

Molly continues, “It is the same with people who feel like they are not being heard, listened to, they either get louder or quieter.”

“Trinny.”

“Yes Gabriel.”

“I want you to go home and tell your parents you want to get in shape, grow your hair out, you want some new clothes and you are going to help out more. Then I want you to go to church, Catholic preferably, but there are many beautiful Protestants, and be someone you can be proud of.”

Trinny acts like she’s just been hypnotized, she turns and walks away without saying anything further. “That was weird.” Gabriel agrees. In the future days of Trinny she’ll remember this day as if angels interceded just for her and she is going to have a wonderful life.

From where they are parked they can see a neighborhood convenience store. “I’m thirsty.” Molly agrees.

As they are walking into the store they over hear a group of neighborhood teens being mean to a middle aged gay man, “Hey, homo, you kiss your momma with that mouth?”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close