My Molly - Cover

My Molly

Copyright© 2023 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 29: Sure, Why Not

Some moments are semi normal and some are so far out of this world, Gabriel is just going with it. “Lest we get lost along the way, we only need to turn to our Lord and ask for directions.” Not directions of North and South, but directions of flesh and spirit. In prayer much can be said, but one of the true tragedies of the revolving cycle of failure of the human race is people not only quit listening, but they forget how to listen. In truth, Gabriel reflects, that most people were never taught in the first place to listen in the spirit. Even among Christians, there are those who look down upon their fellow brothers and sisters who seek such wondrous things.

Many Christians believe that being baptized in water is all they need; therefore they do not seek out the much more important and personal gift of being ‘baptized in the spirit’. It is the difference between talking the talk and walking the walk. It is the difference between being lazy and putting in the work. It is the difference between taking God’s love and not returning it and showing gratitude for such an awesome gift. It is the difference between not growing beyond the flesh and seeking a personal relationship with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. With the strength of the leadership of the Catholic Church, Jesus’ Church, this is a real danger.

Both Molly and Gabriel marvel at the beauty of New Mexico. They enjoy their journey and being given a time frame by way of a destination to be reached by Easter they know they have time to embrace God’s true miracle gift.

“Gabriel, look.” as they are driving along Molly sees a couple hitchhiking just ahead of them. Gabriel pulls over in front of them and lets them catch up to them. Molly opens the door for them, “Hi.”

The young blonde haired man, who can’t be over twenty-one, says, “Hello, and thank you so much for picking us up.”

The redhead girl, who is probably more around nineteen, says, “Yeah.”

“Please, come in.”

Gabriel unbuckles and comes back. “Hi guys. This is Molly and I’m Gabriel.”

“I’m Sandra and this is my husband Eric.” It is easy to tell these kids are from the South. Molly loves their accent.

It is Molly who asks the question, “You must have gotten married young?”

It is the girl who answers, “Why yes, as soon as I turned sixteen our parents let us get married. It’s legal in the South at that age.”

Molly turns and looks at Gabriel with a smile. Gabriel groans inwardly because Molly had really embraced them being father daughter and had let go all other wants ... he thought. Wait, was that this reality?

Gabriel asks, “Been traveling long?”

Eric replies, “Yes. We wanted to visit California and now we’re going home to Georgia.”

Molly asks, “What did you think of California?”

These kids were raised with respect and manners. Sandra speaks for the both of them, “Were just glad to be going home.”

Gabriel extends their offer, “Well, we’ll be going at least to Arkansas before we head up into the Appalachians.” Gabriel is not shy about speaking their reality. “As long as you live your lives with Republican Christian values, you two are welcome to accompany us.”

Eric in a little surprise answers, “Yes sir.”

Sandra finishes for him, a trait both Molly and he find adorable, “Born and raised, sir.”

The more Gabriel hears Sandra speak the more he sees that she is a little simple. It means absolutely nothing; in fact, the world would be a lot better off if more people were simple loving folk. But with her long soft red hair she is another vision of loveliness.

Gabriel starts driving again and while Eric comes up front, Molly stays back with Sandra. They hit it off right away. Eric offers, “I don’t know what part of the Appalachians you are going to, sir, but I can show you some good routes. I spent much time up there as a kid.”

“Well, thank you Eric that would be wonderful. We don’t know exactly what path we are going to take yet because we leave ourselves open to the Holy Spirit. We let God direct us so we can help those in need as he commands us to do for all, but then we go the extra mile as they say for those especially deserving people who live God: people of good will.”

Sandra says from the back, “Oh wow, that’s wonderful.” for the rest of the trip they study and talk about scripture and leaving yourself open to the prompting of the Lord.

Molly is absolutely fascinated by the interaction between Sandra and Eric. They are loving, sweet and respectful with one another. As the feeling that something big is coming continues to grow in Gabriel, and not knowing the outcome, he starts to feel a little sad for Molly. Even when he heard himself propose, he wasn’t sure it was him speaking. Luckily the clarity of that came to him that it was about a spiritual bonding not a physical bonding.

The kids had planned out a few fun places to stop and camp at. A big deal when you don’t have much money. Without a word being spoken Gabriel already knew Molly had intentions of helping these well-deserving young people. Molly and Sandra hit it off. It almost seems to Gabriel that Sandra’s intellect has picked up a little, without changing her sweet and loving nature.

Gabriel smiles and shakes his head at the wonder of God; for everywhere the young couple suggests they visit, they find good people in need. Not only that, but it seems Molly and Gabriel are training another couple of evangelists who truly walk the walk and gratefully embrace the path our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ has laid out for us. For all of us: you just have to open your eyes, use your ears and reach out for that which is already there for the asking. You must be pure in purpose, morals, actions and love, hope and faith to obtain a purer truer connection. And you have to repent when you screw up.

It is fun to camp and they get to help some truly awesome folks, but it is nice for Gabriel to sleep in a real bed. They pull into a motel just off the freeway, not worrying if it is fancy, and Molly beats Gabriel in offering to pay for rooms for Sandra and Eric and the latest members of their growing tribe, a wonderful trio of sisters named Carey, Christina and Lisa. Gabriel swears he has met these girls before, but it just doesn’t come to him. They are lovely brunettes who spent too much time in the foster care system. Gabriel looks around at these amazing families and the love they share, and then he hugs Molly, who is of course in his lap, a little more and kisses her on the ear.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close