My Molly - Cover

My Molly

Copyright© 2023 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 28: That’s My Girl

“Why couldn’t I heal you?”

“Don’t ask me, ask God.”

For the next week she does just that. The longer an answer isn’t forthcoming, the more frustrated she is getting. Gabriel knows how she feels because he often became impatient when God did not answer his prayers, but then he looks over at Molly and smiles because he knows firsthand that once He does answer that prayer, it is going to be more amazing than you could ever believe. Unless of course the answer is a simple no: which Gabriel has received. In fact, in the two times God has spoken to him where he believes if someone else would have been in the room they would have heard Him too; one of the answers was ‘no’. Too cool.

Proudly Gabriel exclaims, “That’s my girl.” Molly snuggles further back into him as they are once again sleeping in a motel bed giving Gabriel’s hand time to heal.

Molly awakens with this question, “What is Appalachia?”

“Appalachia is a region of the United States. It takes up the mountain parts of quite a few states in the South and the East. Why?”

“That is our destination.”

“Okay.” Gabriel has learned not to question such things. However, he has woken up with several of his own questions, “Molly?”

“Hmm.” she says laying her head on his chest.

“I know you know more of what is going on.”

Gabriel feels Molly go rigid, “Uh uh!”

“When did we start lying to each other?”

Molly starts to cry. “I can’t tell you too much or it won’t count. Do you remember you once told me that you thought ‘why if God does all the work should I be allowed into heaven’?”

“Right, as far as self-reliance being one of the biggest things that makes up the core of a Republican Christian valued person.”

“It’s like that, even though we are together, you must prove to God that you are ready for the next level of service.”

Oh, that excites Gabriel to no end. He sits bolt upright. He positions Molly right in front of him and is looking deep into her eyes, just in case there is more to be said, but can’t be said with words. Molly is starting to get a little shy and nervous as Gabriel continues to bore into her. She swallows hard and lies down with her legs intertwining with Gabriel’s. Gabriel bends down and pushes up her little cami tank top and acts like he is going to give her sweet little kisses on her tummy, but instead blows hard and tickle attacks her. Her laughter begins another day.

They relax a bit longer before getting up just being happy in the presence of the other. Content they have been given this time and accepting the way certain things have to be. Eventually Gabriel says, “I think we should go check on the motor home.”

“Shall we eat first?”

As they are dressing Molly stops and looks at him and then nods her head and puts on a full-length skirt of emerald green and shoes and calls it complete.

“What did you to this motor home?”

Gabriel looks at Molly then answers, “Oh we had an emergency and needed to get to the hospital quickly.”

“Hmm. Well, it is going to take a few days to get the suspension parts for this particular model, say four or five days and we should be done.”

Molly pulls on his sleeve. Gabriel looks at her. “We have to get to Appalachia.”

There is a phone call that pulls the service guy away, “Excuse me.”

“You know I was kind of thinking that we need a little bigger motor home anyway, not for us, but the supplies. The problem is those things can cost half a million dollars.”

“Me too and...”

Just then the man comes back out and says, “Uh, that phone call was about you. Apparently somebody has just paid for you to get the next size up.”

Molly and Gabriel look at each other in amusement. “Is it the size where I have to get a different class of driver’s license?”

“Actually no, this is the biggest you can go before you have to do that.”

He shows them the RV and Gabriel looks to Molly. She nods and says, “We’ll be able to get a whole family in here.”

“We’ll take it.” Then he turns to Molly, “You know this means they know where we are.”

“God always knows where we are; both in a physical place and in our hearts.”

“So you are saying what then?”

“I’m just saying.”

“So you are saying there are more ‘people’ involved in this than even we, I know.”

“No, I’m saying I trust in God and that is enough for me.”

“No fair.” Molly wrinkles her cute little nose at him and turns around and walks off to get their stuff out of the old motor home.

Gabriel watches her cute little tush wiggle as she goes. She is definitely not a little girl any more, but neither is she a woman. He smiles. Then he does a quick scan of the area. He pats his pocket pistol and takes a deep breath. He knows at this point he couldn’t change things if he wanted to. Then he looks at Molly moving with purpose and he also knows he wouldn’t change a thing.

As Gabriel is getting the feel for their new motor home, he turns to Molly, “You know we have donated money to the Christian Appalachian Project, I wonder if we can work with them, help them out, when we get there?”

The satellite phone rings. Molly answers it. “Hello. Yes sir, I know. I know. Okay.” and then she hands the cell phone to Gabriel. “It’s for you.”

“Yes.”

“There is more than one dream per world; you must let them all be dreamt.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close