My Molly - Cover

My Molly

Copyright© 2023 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 20: Love is a Healing Force

They come to find out that the girls are orphans and the nineteen year old girl Carey was just able to convince the courts that she could take care of her younger sisters. It hasn’t been easy for them, but they have each other, they have love.

“My dad, after my mom died of cancer, married their mom. They were in a car wreck. They were on a bridge in a bad storm and they were barely hanging off of the bridge, then a motor home lost control and hit them; which pushed them over and down into a river.”

Molly hugs her and says, “I’m so sorry.”

Carey smiles sadly and continues, “I was in the car, but somehow I got out of the vehicle before it plummeted down. The girls were at the babysitters.”

Gabriel asks, “Where was that?”

“Texas, I think.”

“Wow, I’m so sorry.” Gabriel adds.

“We were brought back here and sent into the foster care system. I finally turned eighteen and have been fighting for the girls ever since.” The look of love the little sisters give their big sister is one of divine love.

Gabriel has great admiration for Carey and will do whatever he, they, can for them. “I’m proud of you.” Carey smiles and Molly snuggles into Gabriel.

Tuesday is a lazy day. They relax and let the girls be a family. Gabriel and Molly had talked it over and gave them the bed while they piled blankets on the floor to make it comfortable enough for Gabriel and his too big belly. However, come morning time Gabriel decides that will not work, so Carey and one of the girls will sleep on the floor and Gabriel and Molly will share their bed with one of the girls; most likely they will switch off between the younger two.

Now comes Wednesday. “Today I have to go to wound care. When we get back we are going to talk about you getting a job and then a place to live. I know the people pretty well who run the local grocery store and if Ray is still alive I think he owns an apartment complex or two. Perhaps there is an opening at one or at least will be. We’ll get your name in.”

“Thank you.”

Molly and Gabriel love having the beautiful trio of brunettes with them. They are joyful and sweet. Gabriel is very impressed with Carey because as soon as she got out of the foster care system she did not abandon her sisters to it. As soon as she could she brought them home, even though home is a beat up older station wagon.

Just as all five of them are getting ready to pile into the truck to go to Lodi Wound Care a specialized delivery vehicle pulls in. “Hi, are you Gabriel Clifford?”

“Yes I am.”

“I’m going to need to see some I.D.”

Molly looks at the box and says in surprise, “It’s from Aunt Kate.”

They don’t have time to open it now, so they put it in the bedroom. In the back of his mind he half jokingly says to himself, “I hope we have a home when we get back.” Thinking perhaps Kate sent them a nuclear bomb.

The trip to wound care is fun, the girls, just like Molly, love country, especially the Crystal Gayle CD, and it doesn’t take long to start singing along. Of course they all sing something different, but it is cute and sweet. No matter what the wound care doctor finds today Gabriel has healed a little.

As they are driving Gabriel turns to Molly and says, “I hope this is my last appointment.”

Then they look at each other in confusion, but it is Molly who voices it, “Didn’t we already do this?”

Gabriel is getting far beyond a déjà vu moment. “We’re not supposed to be here. Is it this time or last time that is out of sync?” They can feel that energy building.

For once Molly is as thrown off as he is, “Why is this moment repeating? What’s happening?”

Gabriel feels weird, but they must see this through. “If the last time was the last time, what is this time?” For a moment the sky does the time-elapsed thing. Gabriel is looking around on high alert.

“Is everything okay?” It is Carey asking.

Gabriel shakes his head and then looks at Molly and then says, “Yeah, we’re good, for a moment there I thought I forgot an appointment, sort of.” Molly takes his hand and squeezes it reassuringly.

Gabriel continues with Molly, “If this day is repeating itself but differently, then that must mean something that was supposed to happen last time, didn’t. Let’s be on the lookout for an opportunity to glorify the Lord.”

“Yes please.”

Not to let weirdness get in the way of their day, Gabriel had already planned the trip so that they would have a few extra minutes so they could stop by a thrift store and have some fun. Perhaps, even, the girls will find something they can wear, play with or read. One of Gabriel’s favorite things has always been to wander through thrift stores. On his own he always enjoyed himself. Having a host of girls under his loving protection is fulfilling his fatherly traits long since needing to be realized. Molly has already done more for him than he could ever quantify, but with Carey, Christina and Lisa adding to the glory, he hopes he sees his future and destiny in front of him.

“Gabriel, look.”

“I see, honey, is that something you would like?”

Carey intervenes, “Lisa, we don’t have the extra money for toys.”

“It’s okay, we’re paying for it.” It is Molly speaking and Gabriel loves her gracious heart, but he is a little concerned for their dwindling supply of cash that Kate had left.

Lisa looks first at Molly and then Gabriel, “Really?”

Gabriel smiles, “Really.”

Despite her protestations, even Carey picks out something to wear.

“Alright, girls, I have to get to wound care.”

It isn’t far and they still make it with time to spare. As they are sitting there Molly says, “Gabriel, if you want me to I will stay out here with the girls.”

“Wow.” That blows Gabriel’s mind on so many levels and he is beyond proud, but he rescues her as she has done for him just in the short time they have known each other. “Well, thank you, babygirl, but I need you with me always. The girls can sit on the grass for an hour or so and play with their new toys.” Carey nods. “They’ll be alright, but thank you for the offer.”

Molly has to fight herself from screaming yes to where they could hear her in Plymouth, but in a small joyful voice she says, “Okay.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close