My Molly - Cover

My Molly

Copyright© 2023 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 19: Curiosity Killed the Cat

It is late afternoon by the time they get up feeling more grounded in reality. Now that their regular store is closed for repairs, they risk it and go to the local store. As nothing happens both Gabriel and Molly become curious about Kate’s comment that the Satanists might know they were living in Fiddletown.

He discusses it over with Molly, “What do you think?”

“I think we need to know.” they decide to return to the old house. They wait until darkness descends upon the long Saturday.

“You ready?”

“Yes sir!”

Ever since Gabriel capitulated to Molly, sort of, her joy is again on the increase and so is her divine gifts; which also means so is the spiritual battle going on around them. In actual time it was but a blink, but it felt like an eternity. Gabriel has always understood that without God he has no chance in a spiritual battle, but just because a battle isn’t winnable doesn’t mean it’s not worth fighting.

As they are driving up to Fiddletown Molly asks, “You are praying to God for us, aren’t you!?”

Gabriel has never been able to lie to Molly so far, but he tries it anyway, “Of course!”

It’s dark in the cab so Molly can’t see his big eyes, but she says, “Okay.”

Wait what that hasn’t happened yet. Wait what that was a different path. Wait ... what??? Gabriel is feeling out of sync again, “Molly, what did you just mean when you asked me if I was praying for us?”

“When did I ask that?”

“Just now!”

“Sorry, daddy, but I don’t know what you are talking about.”

“Oh great!”

“Are you okay?”

Gabriel takes a deep breath and says, “Of course, I have my beautiful daughter with me.” Molly smiles and reaches over and squeezes his hand.

They first drive past the old house and then go to high ground and watch for movement. With nothing out of the ordinary happening they drive back down past the house, but this time they go slower. They still see nothing out of the ordinary.

When Gabriel pulls up to the house he backs in and gets as close as possible and leaves the doors to the truck open, but all lights switched off. Even though Gabriel is left-handed he carries the gun in his right hand, he always has, except with a rifle he shoots from the left shoulder. Gabriel never really has been normal. The feeling Gabriel is getting is an old feeling and one he likes. When he started to rebuild his life it was one of the hardest things to walk away from; the adrenaline rush of going into battle.

At first they don’t use flashlights, but it is obvious it is cleared out. Not just that though, it looks like it hasn’t been lived in for decades. “This is the right house, isn’t it?”

Molly nods as confused as Gabriel. They risk turning on the flashlights and the place is overgrown and dilapidated. Gabriel reaches over and turns the door knob. The door opens with a loud squeak and then the top hinge breaks and then the door is precariously hanging there. They are sure that everybody in the neighborhood just heard that.

Gabriel wipes his prints off the door knob and they hurry back to the truck. Just then a line of three vehicles slowly start making their way towards them. “Get down!” Even though it is a double action handgun Gabriel pulls the harmer back. The cars drive by without incident, but all the occupants turn at the exact same time and stare at them. Weirdly there is an unknown light source in the vehicles so all their faces and expressions can be seen.

Not wanting to attract attention Gabriel pulls out slowly and starts driving towards home. All of a sudden a pair of headlights flies up behind them. Not just quickly, but then they tailgate, which is not a good thing with Gabriel because he considers it a personal attack on his space and safety. The vehicle is swerving back and forth and acts like it is going to pass them one time and then goes back to behind them. Molly is looking back. The car comes up on them again and Gabriel gets mad so he slams on the breaks. He stops and gets out of the truck ready to fight, but there is no vehicle there. Not realizing it Gabriel looks down and he has the gun in his hand.

He shakes his head and gets back in the truck. They don’t drive straight home, they go over to Jackson Highway and then to Latrobe before getting back on Old Sacramento Road. With no one following them and nothing out of the ordinary at their house they go home.

As they are walking up the walkway Gabriel says, “Something is not right.”

Molly nods in agreement and adds, “Do you think God gives us only so much time to get it right?”

Not a question he expected, “He gives us many chances, but we are finite so yes we have a limited time.”

Silently Molly says, “Yes, finite.”

As if this day needed more weirdness, this very odd and long Saturday, Tom comes home late and asks, “How is everything?”

“Oh, back to normal, we’re all good.” Of course Gabriel and Molly’s normal might not be most peoples’ normal.

They wake up early and go to church. As Gabriel is guiding Molly to the pew she does a twirl in the dance of life. Molly looks heavenward and says, “I’m grateful.”

Everything appears to be going fine. They again get to spend some quality time with Bob and Susan. However it was accomplished Molly is talking with Susan more as woman to woman than little girl to woman. Gabriel notes the difference and wonders if he is forcing, or allowing, or helplessly standing by while Molly is growing up too fast. He reminds himself he is but one dancer in a lovely duo, but it is God who is playing the music.

On the drive home Gabriel looks over at Molly and smiles because she is chattering away. A sure sign her joy is back. “Molly?”

“Hmm.”

“Have I told you lately that I am very proud of you?”

“I know. I’m proud of you too.” She doesn’t elaborate. And then out loud she says, “In every way.”

“What, babe?”

“God sure knew what he was doing when he gave me you.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close