Dissonance - Cover

Dissonance

Copyright© 2023 by Lumpy

Chapter 41

To my surprise, a full week passed without Dad pulling any more stunts. I had to borrow some money from Mrs. Phillips for gas, but after Chef paid us for the previous weekend and getting paid for gigs the next weekend, I had enough money that I could keep paying bills without asking Mrs. Philips to front me the money. I had to work out how to pay bills in cash, or with money orders, but it was at least doable.

Monday hit and I was actually feeling a little less pressure. I was just two weeks from the end of Mom and Dad’s thirty-day response period, and would hopefully be only a week or so more before the court hearing. I talked to Mr. Eaves on Friday, and so far they had heard no response from Dad or whatever lawyer he ended up hiring. As far as he could tell, Mr. Eaves couldn’t find any action taken by my father regarding the emancipation.

Part of me hoped Dad showed up to the hearing without any lawyer at all. It would be stupid, but he was just arrogant enough to think he could bamboozle a judge into ignoring everything and siding with him. It seemed to be a law of the universe that the stupider someone was, the more confident they were in their own abilities. Maybe it wasn’t fair to call him stupid exactly, but he did make a lot of stupid decisions, and without fail, he was always positive those decisions were right, regardless of what anyone told him. Actually, also regardless of what the eventual outcome was either. He would make some idiotic mistake, completely sure of himself, and when it blew up in his face, he would rail against the bar owner or whoever he felt had wronged him, complaining about all of the ‘idiots in the world.’ Irony was well and truly dead.

So there was a non-zero chance he would go to the hearing with just him and Mom. That was a best-case scenario for me. There was no better way to show how unfit my father was to be a parent than to let him just speak, and prove it himself.

As things started looking better for me, however, Cameron had steadily gotten more nervous. He’d stopped me several times over the last week to update me on what he was finding out about the Scantrons he’d found. I kept encouraging him to look into it, although as things started to point more and more to deliberate actions taken by administrators in the school, I also warned him there could be serious blowback from this. It seemed important enough that, if it was me, I’d still probably do it, but I was a little worried that he kept asking me what I’d do, instead of deciding for himself how to handle it. If he got in trouble, I was going to feel bad for pushing him to pursue it.

The only good news was both his editor and the faculty advisor had signed off on it. After reading it through, I couldn’t imagine how they did, especially the faculty advisor. The article was scathing and named specific names. How the advisor didn’t get fired after this came out, I couldn’t imagine.

_There’s something wrong in Denmark, or at least at Julian S. Carr High School. Recently the entire school participated in the state-wide SALT survey, a comprehensive and anonymous survey covering a wide range of behaviors, challenges, and activities ranging from those supported and offered by the school to some that are still illegal in the state of North Carolina. The goal of the surveys was to find out what kind of support the state’s students need and is meant to help direct funds for social programs, counselors, and out resources. The problem with these tests is how to get kids to admit to things that would get them suspended, expelled, or even arrested if they were caught by the school administration doing them. The answer was to keep the tests completely anonymous.

There were no names on any of the answers, which were done on Scantron to keep handwriting from being recognized or any specifics given that could track back to individual students. Teachers administering the surveys repeatedly reminded students taking them that the entire process would be anonymous and sealed the finished Scantrons in front of the students inside state-provided envelopes without looking at them.

The problem is, they might not be anonymous after all. Through an accident, this reporter found photocopies of completed Scantrons with student IDs handwritten on them. Based on the precautions taken by the administration, this should not have been possible. When contacted for the story, both the school administration and the district reiterated how impossible it was for these copied Scantrons to exist.

So how did this happen?_

The article went on to lay out a damning set of circumstances, although I couldn’t help but notice it avoided naming anyone specifically, even when it was pretty obvious who was being talked about. He talked to every teacher who packed away tests in classes where students whose IDs he noted down took the test, and all said they put it in the envelope, sealed it, and gave it to a runner to take to the office, along with the runners and students in each class who saw the envelopes being sealed. All agreed the teachers put every single Scantron in the envelopes and they were dropped off, sealed, to the office.

The administration did not have any comment on what happened to the envelopes once they were dropped off. The district was more forthcoming, confirming that no school was supposed to open the sealed envelopes or keep any Scantrons, that the vice-principle of each school was in charge of checking that all of the counts on the outside of the envelopes were right and that all of the envelopes were accounted for. They even went as far as giving Cameron an unused envelope, a picture of which made it into the article. Something I noticed in the picture, and he pointed out in the article, is that the envelopes were all the same. It didn’t seem a far leap for someone to unseal the envelope, copy some of the Scantrons, and return them to the pouch.

The only thing unexplained was how the administration, if they did that, could have known which Scantron belonged to which student and mark them down on the copies. Cameron also got a copy of a blank Scantron from the district, which also promised to investigate the alleged breach, but nothing on the blank added any suggestion. It was a mystery that was never answered.

What wasn’t a mystery, at least to me, was who was responsible. As much as I felt picked on, I knew I wasn’t the only student Mr. Packer had singled out as a ‘problem student,’ and every ID Cameron was able to note was someone Mr. Packer thought needed to be kicked out of the school. Although Cameron hadn’t seen my ID, he hadn’t had time to go through all of them, but it wouldn’t surprise me if mine had been in that set.

The other thing I wasn’t sure of was what his end goal in getting these Scantrons was. It wasn’t like he could use them to expel students or get them arrested. At best, he could confirm things he thought about them, drug use and the like, but I couldn’t figure out what his end game was.

One thing was sure, however, was that the article caused a buzz. The entire school was talking about it after lunch, and I heard that they walked the faculty advisor out of the school after firing him, although that was just gossip, since no one actually knew anyone who saw that. It did seem at least seemed possible that he got fired, since Peyton had him for English sixth period, and there was a sub teaching the class when he’d taught classes earlier in the day. While not unheard of for a teacher to leave before the last class, it was a hell of a coincidence.

I was worried about Cameron, though. Even if Mr. Packer wasn’t behind it, the article clearly pointed to the administration doing something dirty, and Mr. Packer would definitely feel it was his job to protect the administration. Although he’d been at pep rallies and other school events, I’d only talked to Principal Snyder once, but I didn’t doubt he’d also try to come down on the student who actually wrote the article. Especially if they already fired a teacher over it.

I felt a little responsible, since I’d told Cameron he should keep chasing it when he’d asked me what to do. I’d honestly not given it much thought at the time, since I’d been so wrapped up in my own problems, and was just now considering how bad my advice was. If they were doing something like this, then I did think it should be looked into, but it didn’t have to be Cameron. Someone should have at least warned him that this could have repercussions on him, and that someone should have been me. I’d had enough run-ins with the administration to know better.

I hoped the storm would manage to pass him by, partially for my own selfish reasons of wanting to have one less thing to be guilty about and partly because I didn’t want him to have to go through some of the same BS that I had.

Nothing happened to Cameron by Wednesday afternoon, but I had to put my concern for him aside, since it was the day the label’s deposit should have hit the band’s bank account, which also meant it was the day that Dad would find out I blocked him from taking any more money.

I knew there was going to be some kind of reaction, because there was no way he could let a challenge like that unanswered. I half expected to find a call from Kent that he’d tried some new kind of outrage while I was at school, but when I powered my phone back up, there was nothing. Nor had there been a visit from the school administration trying to pull me out of class again.

That was actually a bad thing, since I wasn’t foolish enough to believe I somehow got lucky this time. I’d actually hoped for a call from Kent or a visit from Mr. Packer, because at least I’d know. It was the uncertainty that was killing me, even though just thinking that was probably giving me some kind of bad Karma.

I made it through training and was halfway through practice when the universe finally replied in the form of a text from Kat telling me to get home quickly with no further explanation. It wasn’t a long drive, but I felt nauseous the whole way, wondering what he’d done. That feeling doubled when I saw Sydney’s father’s patrol car sitting outside the house with no one in it. I parked behind him and made a dash inside, almost slamming into her father, who was standing just inside the doorway.

“Here he is now,” Kat said. “I called Mom, and she’s on her way.”

“Like I told you, she’s not his guardian, so I don’t need her to be here to deal with him,” he said, pointing his thumb at me. “Charlie, are you staying here?”

“Yeah? What’s going on?”

“Your father called the station this afternoon and reported that you’d run away from home several weeks ago to one of my deputies. Considering I’ve seen you in that period and you’ve been out with my daughter, I was a little confused, so I called my daughter and she said you were staying with the Phillips. Do you mind telling me what exactly going on here?”

“I guess, although I didn’t run away. My mom knows I’m staying here.”

“He’s been here for almost a month,” Kat said.

“She gave you permission?”

“Yeah. After we had a physical ... uhh ... confrontation, she thought it was best to keep us from getting into another fight.”

“You’ve been in a fight with your father?”

“Not really a fight. He punched Mom and tried to kick her while she was down, so I bounced his head off the fridge.”

“I see. So if I went to talk to her, she’d confirm she’s letting you stay here?”

That was a good question. If he caught her on her own, she would, but if Dad had already suspected I’d point the police to her, he might have coached her on what to say. I wasn’t sure what his endgame was here, since I knew he wouldn’t enjoy me living back at home any more than I would, and it certainly wouldn’t convince me to call Kent and tell him to release the money or whatever tricks he was doing to keep Dad from getting it. It was possible this was part of some kind of strategy for the emancipation hearing, although it was unlike Dad to think that far ahead usually.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close