Dissonance - Cover

Dissonance

Copyright© 2023 by Lumpy

Chapter 13

“What are you doing here?” I asked him when I finally got my voice back.

“Is that any way to greet your dad?”

“It is when you should be in prison,” I said, looking past him to Mom, who was sitting across from him.

“He was released from prison,” she said.

While she wasn’t jumping for joy, she didn’t look or sound upset, which actually bothered me more than seeing him there.

“Sit down, sit down,” he said, pointing at one of the last unoccupied chairs. “So, you went and got a record contract? You really are a chip off the ol’ block.”

“What are you doing here?” I asked again, still not moving from the doorway. “You still had like five years till you could get parole.”

“He...” Mom started to say, before being interrupted.

“I have this Rebecca. You just be quiet and let me and the boy catch up,” he said to her before turning his attention back to me. “I know you’re surprised, but that don’t give you the right to be rude. I’ll explain everything, but sit down and maybe lose the attitude.”

His voice had that edge to it when he was just about to lose his temper. Normally, that only happened when he was drunk and, at the moment, he seemed pretty sober, but I recognized it anyway. I wasn’t twelve anymore and would have ignored it if I wasn’t still in shock over seeing him in our kitchen, so instead, I closed the door and dropped my bag next to the fridge. Cutting a wide berth around him, I sat down, sliding my chair closer to Mom’s side of the table than his.

“Sorry,” I said.

“Good. Yeah, I got out. There was some big scandal in the county prosecutor’s office that prosecuted my trial, something about the DA sleeping with the judge that happened to be handling my case. They had a bunch of back and forth, and there was a class action lawsuit, or some such thing, and they ended up overturning all of the convictions won by the DA where her boyfriend was the judge.”

“Are they going to redo the trials?” I asked.

“I don’t know. I talked to my public defender, but he doesn’t give a shit. He said they’d let us know if they were. One of the guys I was in with was kind of a jailhouse lawyer and he said they could but it’d be hard. I know my statute of limitations isn’t up, so maybe. I figure we’ll wait and see. Until then, I get to come be with my family again,” he said, and looked at Mom. “You’ve done a real good job setting up a home here. I loved our life on the road, but this is real nice.”

“What makes you think you can just come back here, after everything,” I said, my surprise finally giving way to my anger. “We’re doing good, better than when you had us wandering across the east coast while you drank up every last dollar you could get playing any shit club that would take you.”

His smile changed into the face I remembered. The one he had those last few years as the drinking, and his temper, got worse. Mom reached across the table and touched his hand, and I saw his shoulders slump as he took a deep breath.

“You’ve had a long day and I know you’re surprised to see me, so I’m going to let that slide, but you need to remember I’m your father. I don’t know what your mother has been teaching you while I was away, but you need to find your manners real quick.”

I knew it wouldn’t take much more to taunt him into taking a swing, and I was ready for him. I wasn’t a little kid anymore. This time, if he decided to go after either me or Mom, I was ready for him. Mom, however, didn’t seem to feel the same. She gave me a pleading look. I leaned back in my chair. For her, I’d keep from pushing him anymore, but I wasn’t prepared to be nice.

“I apologize, but I’m still confused about why you’re here. I thought Mom served you with divorce papers.”

“She did, but she changed her mind and they were never filed.”

“What?” I said, barely managing to keep the anger out of my voice as I looked at Mom.

She’d said she’d divorced him and acted like it was a done deal. After everything that happened in these last few years, I couldn’t believe she changed her mind.

“I thought, maybe we’d figure it out. We’re still a family,” she said, very deliberately not meeting my eyes.

“So, tell me about this tour of yours,” Dad said, not noticing the byplay.

“Sorry, but I was just stopping in to drop off my bag and grab a shower. We’re supposed to be in Ashville in a few hours to set up and do a sound check,” I said, getting out of my chair and pushing it back under the table. “I’ll be back late, so I’ll see y’all in the morning.”

“Charlie, I thought you were going to...”

“Leave him be,” Dad said. “I always got to my shows early to make sure everything was set up right, so I’m glad to hear he’s doin’ it too. Good to see you’re takin’ some stuff off your old man. We might make a success of you yet.”

“Yeah,” I said, giving him a weak smile before heading toward the back of the trailer.


“Back so soon?” Hanna said as I let myself in the back door.

Although I still knocked when I wasn’t expected, Hanna’s mom had given me the go-ahead to just come in when they knew I was coming over, so no one batted an eye about it. They were still all eating but paused when I came in an hour before I was supposed to be there.

“Sorry, I just had to get out of there,” I said, my brain still scrambled from seeing my dad.

He and Mom were still at the kitchen table talking when I got out of the shower, so I made a hasty excuse and got out the door before anyone could stop me.

“Did something happen?” Hanna’s mom asked. “Is everything okay with your mom?”

“My dad is there.”

“Your dad?” Hanna said, surprised. “I thought he was in jail.”

“So did I. Something happened with the DA and they overturned a bunch of convictions, including his. He just got out and he was sitting at the kitchen table with Mom when I got home.”

“Is she okay?” Hanna’s mom asked, again sounding concerned.

I’d told them enough stories about how things had been with him, especially the last few years, that I didn’t doubt she was worried. Dad could be mean, especially when he was drunk, and he took it out on Mom more than once.

“She’s fine, although I just found out they aren’t divorced after all.”

“What?” Hanna said.

“Yeah. Apparently, Mom applied for the divorce, but never made Dad sign, and didn’t file the documents. I guess the court just let it drop, or whatever. I don’t know why she’d lie about it, but she did.”

“You should talk to her about it, Charlie,” Hanna’s mom said. “It’s okay to wait until he’s not there, but these kinds of things are complicated. It can be harder than you think.”

“What’s so hard about it? He hit her. She should leave him.”

“I don’t disagree, but relationships are tricky. You need to respect your mother’s wishes, as long as he isn’t doing anything now to hurt her or you. She’s an adult and can make her own choices. Do you know if he’s drinking again?”

“I don’t know.

“Maybe prison changed him. It does that for some people, and you two haven’t seen him in what, two years now? That’s a long time. Just take it one day at a time. If things get too hard, you’re always welcome to come over here, but don’t jump to conclusions until you know for sure. Now, sit down and I’ll get you some lunch,” she said, pointing at a chair while getting out of hers.

“Fine,” I said grudgingly, sitting down. “But if he starts on Mom again, I’m going to put him down. Hard!”

“Just think through your actions before you do anything,” she said, stopping behind me and patting my shoulder. “These kinds of situations can spiral out of control or be misinterpreted. Unless someone’s life’s in danger, it’s better to think through what you’re going to do; than just reacting out of anger, and making things worse.”

She was right, but I was still angry that he’d just come back like that and that Mom had lied about divorcing him. Instead, I just mumbled and sat there still angry while she went to get me lunch. In spite of the tantrum I felt like throwing, I did appreciate both her advice and the food.

“Since our homecoming has already gone bad, I might as well add one more thing to the pile,” Hanna said. “We have a problem with Brent.”

“What kind of problem.”

“Before the Richmond show, while you were doing the sound check, I went to check with the stage manager about the schedule, just to make sure everyone was where they needed to be and had what they needed for when the show started. He wasn’t in the production office, but Brent was, although he didn’t see me. He was on the phone with someone, and I guess he was so focused on that conversation that he didn’t hear the door open. I was going to leave without interrupting him and go look somewhere else for the stage manager, but I heard him say something about your next tour, so I waited a second, thinking I might need to know what the plans were, if it was happening at the end of the summer or over Christmas break.”

“Okay,” I said when she paused.

I had no problem with her snooping on Brent if it meant she had unfiltered information about what he was planning for us. Every time I talked to Brent, I felt like he was trying to sell me on something. He always seemed to be shaping what he told me so that I’d agreed with whatever it was he was trying to convince me about. I didn’t trust him to tell me exactly what was going on or to make the right decisions for me. I did trust Hanna.

“He was talking about setting up a tour in September when the album releases. He saw me after a minute and asked for privacy, so I didn’t hear the whole thing, but it sounded like he wanted it to cover venues across the south, as far out as Louisiana and Florida.”

“How am I going to manage a tour that crosses multiple states in September? I can’t imagine they’re going to start ponying up for plane tickets for all of us, flying us out each weekend and back. We’d only be able to manage maybe one show each weekend. There can’t be any money in that.”

“I don’t think he was intending to keep the tour to just weekends.”

“I told him I wasn’t going to skip any school for shows. I said I’d be willing to do shows within driving distance on weekends, if I had enough notice, but I needed to be back home in time to get a good night’s sleep before school on Monday, and I wouldn’t be able to do any shows in the spring during baseball season.”

“I don’t know what to say about that, just what I heard.”

“Should I talk to him? Call Kent?”

“I don’t know, this is way above my pay grade. Maybe talk to Chef. He always seems to know what to do in situations like this.”

“That’s a good idea. I’ll talk to him tomorrow. Why did you wait until now to tell me?”

“It’s been a long week and we were having a good drive home. I thought it would be nice for you to go home and see your mom and have a good meal without worrying about that. We could talk about it at the show tonight. Of course, that was before I knew your dad was out.”

“Yeah,” I said, and then gave her a smile. “I appreciate the thought. There wouldn’t have been much I could do about it on the road anyway. I think you’re right that talking to Chef is the best bet. I appreciate you thinking about me, or at least my mental health.”

“What are friends for? Besides, you become a real dick when you’re stressed,” she said, laughing.


The show itself wasn’t the best one we’d had. There weren’t any major mistakes, but things were just ‘off,’ for most of it. The songs sounded rougher than they should have, mostly because we weren’t all in sync. The fault was mostly mine. I was in my head all night about Dad being back, and what that was going to mean for Mom and me.

Thankfully, the band seemed to understand I was a bit out of sync, and didn’t lay into me about it, although I needed to get my act together. We were only on the fourth stop of our tour, and couldn’t afford to coast on any of our shows.

I was also glad that Brent had to go back to New York to do something at the label. It meant that while I wasn’t able to talk to him about the deal he was trying to make, at least I didn’t have to deal with the label being concerned about our poor performance. Besides, I still wanted to talk to Chef about it. So, it didn’t matter that I’d missed the opportunity to confront Brent right away about what he was doing with our schedule.

We didn’t really need him for this one. Marco and Seth had played here before and knew the owner, so everything went smoothly, and Hanna had gotten well prepared ahead of time, so she had us where we needed to be, even without him.

Everyone was asleep when I got home and I managed to dodge Dad with just a few pleasantries before I got out the door to go see Chef in the morning. At some point, I’d have to deal with him, but I needed to figure out how I was going to do that first. Hanna’s mom’s advice was good, but I knew his good behavior wouldn’t last. Sure, he hadn’t done anything yet, but he would. He wasn’t drinking, but his attitude hadn’t changed. I could see that after only spending a few minutes with him. I knew things would come to a head, eventually.

I went to the Blue Ridge after the lunch rush, going around to the back entrance of the kitchen instead of through the dining room.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close