I Had to Do Something? - Cover

I Had to Do Something?

Copyright© 2023 by Lapi

Chapter 1

By all accounts what I did was not ‘Kosher’, nope not a bit; however ... To me they were different events, but I tend to think they were related, a natural sequence of events maybe. Did I do the right things? Hell, I don’t know. Read about some of those things I did and you tell me!


When I placed the ad in the ‘Neigborhood News’ I never gave it a thought nor what a lot of details were; I just put ‘help wanted’, odd jobs both winter and summer. 123 Vista Lane. See Bob. My intentions were focused on the pools and yard outside. You know what happens to intentions, right? They become ... well whatever they become it was not what they were originally.

I was new to the area, did not know many folks and had left Omaha after my Lotto win for personal reasons. I wanted some peace and quiet mostly. I took the single payout, it was not a lot of money as Lotteries go but it was enough to change my life. After everything, I got about half of the single payout amount. It was still more than I would earn in a lifetime. Hell, properly invested I could live like a good life on just on the earnings.

My intentions were reasonable as to what to do with the money. I sort of knew folks could start ‘to spend like a drunken sailor’. I kept $ .5 Million out to do just that and $1 Million paid for the house; the rest went into the investment firms.

I leased the car, said no to the ‘friendly’ pool and lawn guy who wanted near $750 a week to take care of things just like ‘everyone else around here’ and decided cooking, cleaning and chores around the place should give some locals a helping hand in this poor economy instead of professional services. In a way I was correct in that assumption, as it turns out.

It was a nice house, a ‘smart house’; 4,000 sq feet. 5 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, security system, library/office, pool, sun-deck and hot tub. Small yard, 3 car attached garage, 2 car-wide circular drive. The builder had yet to finish my landscaping choices. From what everyone told me it was in a great area for kids, good re-sale value and close to shopping; like all things I really did not care about.


All the grocery places seemed to have only the same prepared foods. Chicken, ribs at times, salads, lunchon meats, cheeses and some green things; olives I think they were. For a single guy that was not enough to live on; Oh, some had pizza slices, bad pizza slices but ... The rack on the wall had what I needed: Take out brochures, a dozen of them went with me. I would survive now. I was 21 and could boil water if it came with instructions and calling for takeout was within my capabilites. After a week of cold cereal, no takeout open until noon and every single egg in the carton was without a zip thing; I gave up trying to get one open and called for help. Acme Services had cooks, pool people, housekeepers too. Their $134,000 a year quote for each got my choking reaction. I hung up to answer the chime, or was it my heart pounding, my head was spinning I was so confused.

When I opened the door a vision spoke: “This is the first day I could get a ride over here. Are there any jobs still available? I want to work some.”

A 5’ 5’’ living doll was before me.

With a deep breath I closed my eyes and said: “You don’t cook, do pools and keep house, do you?”

About the time I heard her “YES” response I silently thanked every Goddess I could think of for this gift at my door.

“Here come into ‘my parlour’ and let me show you your bedroom and the rest of the house.” I grabbed her hand, pulled her into the house and never wanted this dream to end. Going over the work, nothing seemed to be beyond her ability; thank the Goddess. Her eyes lit up when she saw her offerred room, the pool and hot tub made her want to sit down. I had to rethink wanting peace and solitude now.

“Everything is, like, like a dream; except ... My whole reason to get a job is to save enough money to go to college, eventually. I...”

“Room, board, insurances, expenses and bonus. I’ll even pay $30,000 a year towards your college and $30,000 a year salary to you. You can go part-time right now; only cook breakfast and dinner, do the rest if you have the time.”

“Can my sister help so I have some free...”

“Yes! She can have a room too. I’ll pay her say $20,000 a year and the both of you share a car. Deal? I assume she is younger than you and not going to college.”

“Would be a neat trick, she is still in high school. She is...”

“If she is half as c...”

“She is. Your serious?”

“Is the Pope Catholic? Hell yes I’m serious! I’m tired of having to eat pizza and cold cereal, the pool is turning green and this house is spawning ‘dust bunnies’ not to mention the jungle gathering and growing outside.”

“Can I call her to come over here?”

The doll was Tracy, Meghan her sister. Tracy was 18 near 19 her sister 15, near 16. She explained their situation, more their dilemma. Dad and Mom were going bye-bye. Tracy the new planned for guardian of Megan.

“We can pick her up, get your clothes and things and go shopping for what else you need.”

“Are you rich or something?”

“Hopefully enough to keep you two in the manner you want to be accustomed to. Yes, reasonably so if you two don’t get into Harvard, wear designer stuff from Milan, travel the world and want new Ferrai’s every year.”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close