Mona - Cover

Mona

Copyright© 2023 by Lapi

Chapter 1

“Mona, don’t go over there and bother the man!”

“OK Mom, I won’t bother him!”

Later

Knock-knock! Ring-ring! Poundng on the doors now.

Doors open and John looked out.

“Yes!” to the 4’ 6” blond bombshell.

“Who are you mister? What is your name? Do you live here now? Do you have a wife or a girlfriend? Do you want one?”

All this in one breath. Before he might answer, she pushed past him and through the doorway.

“Where’s Vinny? Is he here? What did Maria make for dinner? I’m very hungry! Mom said not to bother you! I’m not am I? Can I swim after dinner?

She ran to the back, unlocked and rolled open the patio doors and then proceeded to the other side where the pool and hot tub were. “Waters too cold, ‘WE’ need to get both warmer!”

“OssoBucco! The Consigliere warned me about you before I moved in so I ordered more food for tonight. I sent Maria back to Sicily so ‘WE’ need to hire someone near as good. Dinner tonight is at ‘Dominics’ so run on home and tell your Mom dinner at 6:30 tonight, probably the next days too. I’m Giovanni(John) and unless you can grill steaks as well as eat them this will continue until we hire somebody that knows how to cook!”

Mona’s mouth was open and stayed that way. Then she said: “Si Signore! Assa mi scusa!”

“Like I’m so much older than you, little one!” She smiled, winked and ran past him back to her house. John just shook his head. She was almost too much but his father thought of her as a member of the family and treated her so, her mother not as much and her father, well, better he rest in peace, somewhere with the fishes.


At exactly 6:30 the line of cars pulled up for Mona and her parents. John got out, held open the car door as Mona skipped up and climbed inside the second car. He lightly swatted her butt. “Behave tonight!” She in-turn just batted her eye lashes as if to say, ‘Who Me!’ She was 11 going on 30. A man got out, opened the rear door of the third car for her Mother and Step-Father. Both nodded and thanked Don Marcozzi(Giovanni-John) All four cars drove off to dinner.

When all were seated, at least those who were to be seated, food and the sides were brought out. Salvatore nodded then those meals were removed and disposed of as new servers brought out the OssoBucco.(Can be Oxtail, veal or beef shanks) This way saved time rather than using tasters, it was a ‘family’ dinning practice anyway. Mona got a full glass of wine. A black velvet box was brought out and placed in front of her.

“Bon compleannu. Tesoro mio.” (Happy Birthday My Treasure) She was 12 today. Tears ran from her eyes followed by a lot of sniffles as she opened the box and held up the earings and necklace.

“It was once owned by another beautiful woman, let it grace you now as a woman, no longer a girl.” The dozen, ten carat perfect diamonds radiated in different colours. In the center a cluster of smaller diamonds surrounding her birthstone. The hand of Bruno G on his shoulder reminded her Step father his place and that anything negative was not very well thought of even if he was married to John’s cousin. Mona wrapping herself on Don Marcozzi was something no one else could repeat; it was the same relationship she had with his father. He was reaffirming it for all in attendance tonight to see.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close