The Border Watch - Cover

The Border Watch

Copyright© 2023 by Joseph A. Altsheler

Chapter 7: The Taking of Henry

“I’m sorry my foot slipped,” whispered Paul.

“Don’t you worry, Paul,” Henry whispered back. “We’re as anxious to meet them as they are to meet us. If they are willing to stay and have the argument out, we’re willing to give them something to think about.”

“An’ I’d like to get a shot at that harelipped villain,” interjected Shif’less Sol. “I’d give him somethin’ he wouldn’t furgit.”

“Suppose we move a little to the right,” said Henry. “They’ve noted the direction from which the sound came, and they may send a bullet into the bushes here.”

They crept quietly to the right, a distance of perhaps ten yards; and they soon found the precaution to be a wise one, as a crack came from the forest, and a bullet cut the twigs where they had lately been. Shif’less Sol sent a return bullet at the flash of the rifle and they heard a suppressed cry.

“It doesn’t do to be too keerless,” said the shiftless one in a contented tone as he reloaded his rifle. “Whoever fired that shot ought to hev known that something would come back to him.”

Several more bullets came from the forest, and now they cut the bushes close by, but the comrades lay flat upon the ground and all passed over their heads.

After Shif’less Sol’s single shot they did not return the fire for the present, but continued to move slowly to the right. Thus a full half hour passed without a sign from either side. Meanwhile a wind, slowly rising, was blowing so steadily that all the trees and bushes were drying fast.

Neither Henry nor his comrades could now tell just where their enemies were, but they believed that the hostile band had also been circling about the open space in which the ruined village stood. They felt sure that the Indians and the three white men would not go away. The Indians were never keener for scalps than they were that year, and with a force of nearly two to one they would not decline a combat, even if it were not the surprise that they had expected.

“We may stay here until daylight,” whispered Henry. “They are now sure we’re not going to run away, and with the sunrise they may think that they will have a better chance at us.”

“If the daylight finds them here, it will find us too,” said Shif’less Sol. They shifted around a little further, and presently another shot was fired from a point opposite them in the forest. Henry sent a bullet in return, but there was nothing to indicate whether it had struck a foe. Then ensued another long silence which was broken at last by a shot from the interior of the old Council House. It was sent at random into the bushes, but the bullet cut the leaves within an inch of Henry’s face, and they grew exceedingly cautious. Another bullet soon whistled near them, and they recognized the fact that the Indians who had succeeded in creeping into the Council House had secured an advantage.

But they succeeded in keeping themselves covered sufficiently to escape any wounds, and, turning a thought over in his mind, Henry said:

“Sol, don’t you think that this wind which has been blowing for hours has dried things out a good deal?”

“It shorely has,” answered Sol.

“And you have noticed, too, Sol, that we are now at a point where the old village touches the forest? You can reach out your hand and put it on that ruined wigwam, can’t you?”

“I kin shorely do it, Henry.”

“You have noticed also, Sol, that the wind, already pretty fair, is rising, and that it is blowing directly from us against the old Council House in which some of the savages are, and across to the forest at the point where we are certain that the rest of the enemy lie.”

“Sounds like good and true reasonin’ to me, an eddicated man, Henry.”

“Then you and I will get to work with our flint and steel and set this old wigwam afire. It’s still high enough to shelter ourselves behind it, and I think we ought to do the task in two or three minutes. Tom, you and Paul and Jim cover us with your rifles.”

“Henry, you shorely hev a great head,” said Sol, “an’ this looks to me like payin’ back to a man what belongs to him. That harelipped scoundrel and his fellows warmed by our fire in the Council House, and now we’ll jest give ‘em notice that thar’s another warmin’.”

Lying almost flat upon their faces they worked hard with the flint and steel, and in a minute or two a little spark of light leaped up. It laid hold of the thin, dry bark at the edge of the old wigwam and blazed up with extraordinary rapidity. Then the flames sprang to the next wigwam. It, too, was quickly enveloped, and the bark cracked as they ate into it. Not even the soaking given by the rain offered any effective resistance.

Henry and Shif’less Sol put away their flint and steel and quickly slipped into the bushes whence they looked with admiration at the work of their hands. The lodges were burning far faster than they had expected. All the old Indian village would soon go, and now they watched attentively the Council House where the sharpshooters lay. Meanwhile several shots were fired from the forest without effect and the five merely lay close, biding their time.

The flames made a great leap and caught the Council House. It burned so fast that it seemed to be enveloped all at once, and three men, two red and one white burst from it, rushing toward the forest. Henry and his comrades could easily have shot down all three, but Silent Tom Ross was the only one who pulled a trigger and he picked the white man. At the crack of his rifle the fugitive fell. By the flare of the flames Henry caught a glimpse of his face and saw that it was Perley. He fell just at the edge of the forest, but where the fire would not reach him.

The village was now a mass of flames. The whole open space was lighted up brilliantly, and the sparks flew in myriads. Ashes and burning fragments carried by the wind fell thickly through the forest. The vivid flare penetrated the forest itself and the five men saw their foes crouching in the bushes. They advanced, using all the skill of those to whom the wilderness is second nature and a battle from tree to tree ensued. The five were more than a match for the eight who were now against them. The man who had passed as Fowler was quickly wounded in the shoulder, the harelipped leader himself had his cap shot from his head, and one of the Indians was slain. Then they took to flight, and, after a pursuit of some distance, the five returned toward the village, where the flames were now dying down.

Paul had been flicked across the hand by a bullet and Jim Hart shook two bullets out of his clothing, but they were practically unhurt and it was their object now to see the man Perley, who had been left at the edge of the forest. By the time they reached the open where the village had stood, the day was fully come. The Council House had fallen in and the poles and fragments of bark smoked on the ground. Nothing was left of the wigwam but ashes which the wind picked up and whirled about. The wounded man lay on his side and it was quite evident that his hurt was mortal, but his look became one of terror when the five came up.

“We do not mean to hurt you,” said Henry; “we will make it as easy for you as we can.”

“And the others,” gasped the man. “You have beaten them in the battle, and they have fled, the Colonel with them.”

“Yes,” replied Henry, “they are gone, and with them Colonel--?”

The man looked up and smiled faintly. At the edge of death he read Henry’s mind. He knew that he wished to obtain the name of the harelipped man and, sincere enemy of his own people though Perley was, he no longer had any objection to telling.

“Prop me up against that tree trunk,” he gasped.

Henry did so, and Paul brought some water from the spring in his cap. The man drank and seemed a little stronger.

“You’re better to me perhaps than I’d have been to you if it had been the other way round,” he said, “an’ I might as well tell you that the man with the harelip was Colonel Bird, a British officer, who is most active against your settlements, and who has become a great leader among the Indians. He’s arranging now with the people at Detroit to strike you somewhere.”

“Then I’m sorry my bullet didn’t find him instead of you,” said Tom Ross.

“So am I,” said the man with a faint attempt at humor.

Paul, who had been trying to remember, suddenly spoke up.

“I heard of that man when we were in the East,” he said. “He fell in love with a girl at Oswego or some other of the British posts, and she rejected him because he was so ugly and had a hare lip. Then he seemed to have a sort of madness and ever since he’s been leading expeditions of the Indians against our settlements.”

“It’s true,” said Perley, “he’s the man that you’re talking about and he’s mad about shedding blood. He’s drumming up the Indian forces everywhere. His--”

Perley stopped suddenly and coughed. His face became ghastly pale, and then his head fell over sideways on his shoulders.

“He’s dead,” said Shif’less Sol, “an’ I’m sorry, too, Tom, that your bullet didn’t hit Colonel Bird ‘stead o’ him.”

“Do you think,” asked Paul, “that they are likely to come back and attack us?”

“No,” replied Henry, “they’ve had enough. Besides they can’t attack us in broad daylight. Look how open the forest is. We’d be sure to see them long before they could get within rifle shot.”

“Then,” said Paul, “let’s bury Perley before we go on. I don’t like to think of a white man lying here in the forest to be devoured by wild beasts, even if he did try to kill us.”

Shif’less Sol heartily seconded Paul’s suggestion, and soon it was done. They had no spades with which to dig a grave for Perley’s body, but they built over him a little cairn of fallen timber, sufficient to protect him from the wolves and bears, and then prepared to march anew.

But they took a last look at the large open space in which the abandoned Indian village had stood. Nothing was left there but ashes and dying coals. Not a fragment of the place was standing. But they felt that it was better for it to be so. If man had left, then the forest should resume its complete sway. The grass and the bushes would now cover it up all the more quickly. Then they shouldered their rifles and went ahead, never looking back once.

The morning was quite cool. It was only the second week in April, the spring having come out early bringing the buds and the foliage with it, but in the variable climate of the great valley they might yet have freezing and snow. They had left Pittsburg in the winter, but they were long on the way, making stops at two or three settlements on the southern shore of the Ohio, and also going on long hunts. At another time they had been stopped two weeks by the great cold which froze the surface of the river from bank to bank. Thus it was the edge of spring and the forests were green, when they turned up the tributary river, and followed in the trail of Timmendiquas.

Now they noticed this morning as they advanced that it was growing quite cold again. They had also come so much further North that the spring was less advanced than on the Ohio. Before noon a little snow was flying, but they did not mind it. It merely whipped their blood and seemed to give them new strength for their dangerous venture. But Henry was troubled. He was sorry that they had not seen an enemy in the man Bird whose name was to become an evil one on the border. But how were they to know? It is true that he could now, with the aid of the dead man’s story recall something about Bird and his love affair, his disappointment which seemed to have given him a perfect mania for bloodshed. But again how were they to know?

They pressed on with increased speed, as they knew that Timmendiquas, owing to their delay at the abandoned village must now be far ahead. The broad trail was found easily, and they also kept a sharp watch for that of Bird and his band which they felt sure would join it soon. But when night came there was no sign of Bird and his men. Doubtless they had taken another course, with another object in view. Henry was greatly perplexed. He feared that Bird meant deep mischief, and he should have liked to have followed him, but the main task was to follow Timmendiquas, and they could not turn aside from it.

They would have traveled all that night, but the loss of sleep the night before, and the strain of the combat compelled them to take rest about the twilight hour. The night winds were sharp with chill, and they missed the bark shelter that the ruined Council House had given them. As they crouched in the bushes with their blankets about them and ate cold venison, they were bound to regret what they had lost.

“Still I like this country,” said Jim Hart. “It looks kinder firm an’ strong ez ef you could rely on it. Then I want to see the big lakes. We come pretty nigh to one uv them that time we went up the Genesee Valley an’ burned the Iroquois towns, but we didn’t quite git thar. Cur’us so much fresh water should be put here in a string uv big lakes on our continent.”

“And the Canadian voyageurs say there are big lakes, too, away up in Canada that no white man has ever seen, but of which they hear from the Indians,” said Paul.

“I reckon it’s true,” said Jim Hart, “‘cause this is an almighty big continent, an’ an almighty fine one. I ain’t s’prised at nothin’ now. I didn’t believe thar wuz any river ez big ez the Missip, until I saw it, an’ thar ain’t no tellin’ what thar is out beyond the Missip, all the thousands uv miles to the Pacific. I’d shorely like to live a thousand years with you fellers an’ tramp ‘roun’ and see it all. It would be almighty fine.”

“But I wouldn’t like to be spendin’ all that thousan’ years tryin’ to keep my scalp on top o’ my head,” said Shif’less Sol. “It would be pow’ful wearin’ on a lazy man like me.”

Thus they talked as the twilight deepened into the night. The feel of the North was in them all. Their minds kindled at the thought of the vast lakes that lay beyond and of the great forest, stretching, for all they knew, thousands of miles to the great ocean. The bushes and their blankets protected them from the cold winds, and it was so dark that no enemy could trail them to their lair. Moreover the five were there, intact, and they had the company of one another to cheer.

“I imagine,” said Paul, “that Timmendiquas and the officers at Detroit will make this the biggest raid that they have ever yet planned against Kentucky.”

“By surprise an’ numbers they may win victories here an’ thar,” said Shif’less Sol, “but they’ll never beat us. When people git rooted in the ground you jest can’t drive ‘em away or kill ‘em out. Our people will take root here, too, an’ everywhar the Injuns, the British an’ the Tories will have to go.”

“An’ as our people ain’t come up here yet, we’ve got to look out for our scalps before the rootin’ season comes,” said Tom Ross.

“An’ that’s as true as Gospel,” said Shif’less Sol, thoughtfully.

After that they spoke little more, but they drew and matted the thick bushes over their heads in such manner that the chill winds were turned aside. Beneath were the dry leaves of last year which they had raked up into couches, and thus, every man with a blanket beneath and another above him, they did not care how the wind blew. They were as snug as bears in their lairs, but despite the darkness of the night and the exceeding improbability of anyone finding them both Henry and Tom Ross lay awake and watched. The others slept peacefully, and the two sentinels could hear their easy breathing only a few feet away.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close