The Sands of Saturn - Cover

The Sands of Saturn

Copyright© 2022 by Lumpy

Chapter 24

Oceanus

“Signal those idiots to spread out,” Kanmi said, pointing off the port of the quinquereme. “If they can’t keep formation, I’ll have them tossed in the sea and have someone else captain their ships.”

His people had started as a seafaring people, and had sailed circles around the Romans, the Egyptians, and everyone else they had encountered; but that had been on the middle sea, which was a tame pond compared to Oceanus, with its giant waves that would come out of nowhere, swamping ships before they knew what happened to them. Already he’d lost twenty-two ships, nineteen of which were fully loaded with soldiers, sailing through the neck and around Iberia bound for Britannia. Even hugging the coast, the short sides and shallow draft made the ships unstable, and several of those lost had been caused by collisions, the oarsmen unable to get out of each other’s way.

If he’d had his choice, he would have sailed the ships empty, and boarded them in Germania, from there it was a short voyage to the islands. There hadn’t been time for that, since most of the forces on his ships had come from Africa, pulled out of the conflicts in Persia, and there hadn’t been time to wait for the men to march across the continent to meet them. Apparently, the fool they’d sent to conquer the rest of that island had managed to lose the entire thing instead.

It had taken longer than anyone was happy with to get enough ships gathered and get the men loaded up, but the trip itself had gone well. Having sailed on Oceanus before, he’d already calculated an expected loss and had thought he’d actually have lost more ships than had occurred on the voyage. His annoyance with the captains was more an inborn personality trait than a feeling that things were actually going wrong.

What he cared about was getting to the destination on time with as many men as possible. Once he landed the army, their commanders would take over and his job would be done, but until then, he was in charge and he wanted word of his deeds to reach the emperor, whose favors could elevate a man’s family for generations. What he didn’t want was a disaster like the former governor, whose family was even now being rounded up and sent into a lifetime of slavery to pay for his incompetence.

It would still take another week to claw their way through the waves to the island, and then none of this would be his problem anymore.


Devnum

It was late in the evening when a rider found Ky at one of the semaphore stations close to the city, finally giving the design a once over. The messenger informed him that Llassar and an entourage from the Ulaid, including their king, had arrived. The Caledonian had sent a message ahead notifying them of their arrival, but that had been received just the day before and Ky had thought they’d have a little more time before the group arrived.

What they needed was a way to get messages quickly between the islands, but even the shortest points were almost forty miles across and even the large, mounted telescopes he’d had Hortensius design and set up could only see about twenty miles and still be clear enough to read the other towers’ signal. They didn’t have the construction materials to stand up to a mid-ocean station, which meant they were limited to messenger boats for now, which were too slow by comparison.

That was a problem for another day, but it occupied Ky’s mind as he raced back to the city to greet the visitors. The men were gathered at the palace and waited in the currently empty forum, both because it could house the king, his aides and guards and because it was an impressive structure, both in size and design, which hopefully added a sense of awe that would play into the Britannians’ favor. Ky wasn’t sure he went in for all the psychology behind negotiations, not that the people of this time would define it as such, but the Emperor did and was a firm believer in holding most meetings there or in the throne room, depending if he wanted to highlight the might of his rule or the democracy and equality of its legislatures. Today’s meeting fit the second need better.

Ky wished the Emperor was there, but he’d ridden out two days prior for Londinium to see the captured city for himself, leaving the management of the Empire to Ky until Lucilla was out of bed, which thankfully would be any day now.

“I’m sorry to have kept you waiting,” Ky said entering the forum and coming down the steps to the corner where the king and Llassar were seated. “I thought you’d be at least another day away from arriving, and was outside the city when word came.”

Ulaid guards flanked the top row, watching over their king and each was paired with a palace guard, all of the men looking as anxious with each other as they were over their charges.

“So you’re this messenger from the gods I keep hearing about,” Conchobar said, looking Ky up and down. “I hear you can throw a man clear over a building and fire green flame from your ass.”

“Unfortunately, I can claim neither ability and I can promise you I have no divine origin. I was from a far-off land, but I am now a citizen of the Empire who the Emperor saw fit to name Consul, and that’s all that matters for the moment. I understand from Llassar’s messages that you are interested in joining our alliance and becoming part of the Empire.”

“What I’m interested in is protecting my people. Ever since Fergus fled and I was given rulership, we have been beset by smaller kingdoms that constantly try and chip away at our lands. When it was simply raids, we could manage it ourselves but now they have seen fit to ally themselves with the most powerful empire the world has ever known. It is my duty to find a way to keep my people free, which means not subjected to either the Carthaginians or anyone else who would rule us. Unfortunately, it has been made clear by how close we came to destruction that we are unable to do that alone. Llassar has told me what your people are offering, but I wanted to hear it for myself.”

“Having been involved in negotiations to create this new Empire, Llassar is far more than a messenger and knows firsthand what we are offering. His people wanted the same thing as yours, to build the strength to remain free without having to give up those freedoms in return. The Romans felt the same. As you pointed out, I came from neither people, so had no vested interest in either group having the upper hand over the other. We’re offering you the same deal. Does it mean you give up some of your sovereignty? Yes, but everyone else in the alliance gives up the same thing and you will have the same say in what powers you give up, just like all of us.”

“Will that include helping us gain control of the rest of our island?”

“Yes, although from Llassar’s last message, how that happens might not be how you would do it. Some of the minor kings will need to be crushed to keep them from trying to regain their old power, but the smaller villages don’t care who governs them. They just want to live their lives and feed their families. Armies marching through and taking everything they own, killing their sons, and raping their daughters will make them into rebels, not subjects.”

“I’ve heard this speech from your men,” Conchobar said.

“That’s fine. I’m not trying to lecture, just giving you an idea of what you can expect.”

“And what do you expect to get in return? You’re letting us mostly retain sovereignty over our lands, have a say in those laws we do have to follow, and will use your armies to bring my island to heel. You aren’t making this offer out of the goodness of your hearts, so what do you want from us.”

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close