Aztlán Portal - Cover

Aztlán Portal

Copyright© 2021 by Paladin_HGWT

Chapter 14: Breaking Contact

Hidalgo Task Force Ground Control Station Cannon Air Force Base, near Clovis, New Mexico

1715 Hours (5:15 PM) MST Tuesday March 27th 2018 (4:15 PM ZPT)

Lieutenant Washington had discretely piloted the MQ-9 Reaper up to three thousand meters in a series of slow, lazy spirals, so that they could observe the full panorama of the battle simultaneously. At the same time, he was educating Staff Sergeant Brussels in some of the differences between the equipment in a GCS (Ground Control Station) and what she had been used to when she had served in a J-STAR; not that he was familiar with inside of an E-8C. Both of them were learning the capabilities of this protype Block 50 GCS ‘on the fly’ as it were.

Master Sergeant Cooper said, “Looks like them thar Mex is a gonna lose this heah battle bout like they did San Jacinto!”

Lieutenant Colonel Edgar Martinez said, “I don’t know if Sam Houston was a better general than the OpFor here, but the Mexican Army damn sure has a better commander in this battle, than Antonio López de Santa Anna. They’ve broken the attack, or at least disrupted it enough to regroup. Now it looks like they are going to conduct a retrograde east using their MSR. Wasn’t it U.S. Grant who said he couldn’t really be considered a great captain, because he had never had to orchestrate a retreat?”

“Von Moltke the Elder.” Lieutenant Commander Akira Ellis said.

Lieutenant Colonel Martinez said, “Who? The dude who lost the Germans the First World War?”

“No, that was von Moltke the Younger. Von Moltke the Elder was the first Chief of the Imperial German General Staff. He greatly expanded the influence and power of the Prussian General Staff due to successes in the Danish War in 1864, and the Austro-Prussian War in 1866, that due in large part to his plans, was won in six weeks. He also planned the operational side of the Franco Prussian War of 1870.” Colonel Stanislaus Wojciechowski said.

When everyone looked askance at their commander, Colonel Wojciechowski said, “What? Marines have the Best suggested reading program of anybody, and we actually do read the recommended books on the various lists.”

“Looks like they are getting back onto the paved highway, here. As long as their ammo holds out, it does seem they will successfully disengage. Hmmm ... Their lead elements are starting to deploy on this high ground. If their enemies decide to move aggressively, they could surround them and wait until dark, which is perhaps an hour away, especially in this weather.” Akira said.

Lieutenant Colonel Martinez said, “I wonder how well equipped the Mexican Army is with NODs?”

(Night Observation Devices, NVGs, IR, Light Intensification, or even Thermal, weapons sights, goggles, and driver’s aids.)

Colonel Wojciechowski said, “This seems likely to become a long day. At least extending past dinner. Lieutenant Washington, start instructing Sergeant Brussels the minimum she needs to know to fly this MQ-9 while you go to chow. We will all go in shifts.”

Rally Point Valeroso, Federal Route 16, 15 kilometers East of Cuauhtémoc, Chihuahua state
1800 Hours
(6:00 PM) ZPT Tuesday March 27th 2018
(dialogue is spoken in Spanish, but written in English; some Spanish in italics)

Toro Zero Six, this is Matador Six Three, I regret to inform you, it has been decided that conditions are too dangerous to risk any helicopters. MedEvac request denied.” Teniente Coronel Jimenez, Chief of Staff of Zona Militar 5/a said.

Teniente Coronel de Ribera passed the radio handset back to Subteniente Villanueva, his Aide-de-Camp, who acknowledged the transmission, then switched the radio to radio-listening-silence mode.

If it had been a clear day, it might have only been dusk, but in the heavy overcast and intermittent rain, it was full dark. There would be no moonlight or starlight tonight. There were a few gleams of light from inside several vehicles where the Surgeon, and the Physician’s Assistant, both on loan from Zona Militar 5/a did their best to preserve the lives of the most seriously wounded, who might survive the night. They lacked sufficient drugs to ease the pain of those who were dying. The enemy had destroyed all but one of the medical vehicles, despite them being marked with the international symbol of the Red Cross.

Teniente Mercutio and his Cazadores Peloton were prepared to move out, there were two sets of precious NVGs (Night Vision Goggles) being used by the drivers and commanders of each of the scout vehicles. There would not be enough for all of the drivers, so many of the vehicles would have to use the ‘cat’s eyes’ ‘black-out’ marking lights; hopefully the enemy would not detect them. The drivers and gunners of the five remaining (DGIM) HMMWVs from the Heavy Weapons Peloton, three carried M2HB heavy machineguns, two mounted Mk19 automatic grenade launchers. One of the MAN three-ton trucks of the Engineer Peloton also had an M2HB heavy machinegun.

As before, Teniente Coronel de Ribera in his Chevy Blazer command vehicle, would lead the column; a pair of the HMMWVs, one each with an AGL, and an HMG would follow, under his direct control. Next would be the 2/a Compania Fusileros, now commanded by Capitan Segundo Bautista, they mustered only seventeen men, including walking wounded, from those who were on the roster this morning. Fourteen volunteers from Battalion and Zona Militar 5/a Service personnel brought them back up to a full-strength Peloton. Their only functioning vehicle was the M151A2 jeep. The infantry and replacements rode in a Two-and-a-half-ton truck, and two Chevy Silerados that had been used by service units before the ambush. The twenty-two surviving Engineers would be a temporary second Peloton, and had two functioning MAN three-ton trucks; one with a HMG.

Captain Segundo Brown, the assistant S-2 (Intelligence Officer) for Zona Militar 5/a was in charge of the Battalion service troops, and attachments from Zona Militar 5/a who were not augmenting the line companies; most important was the Battalion Aid Station and the wounded. One truck in the rear of that element carried the few recovered dead, and those who had died of wounds over the recent hour. Mayor Jiménez, the 25/a Batallon de Infanteria Executive Officer, was in temporary command of the 3/a Compania Fusileros. Sargento Primero Torrez had led the remnants out of the chaos when all of the officers had become casualties. This morning they had mustered sixty-five officers and men, now, not counting the XO, there were thirty-four men in ranks. One (DGIM) HMMWV with an M2HB heavy machinegun was attached to 3/a Compania Fusileros.

Captain Primero Guerrero commanding the 1/a Compania Fusileros was in charge of the Rear Guard. His company was in the best shape, the mustered forty-eight men, including walking wounded. All of their vehicles were still running, but the engine of one of the ‘Deuce-and-a-half’ medium trucks was making funny noises, a ballista projectile was protruding from the side of the engine compartment. Both of the remaining M1 60mm mortars were attached to the 1/a Compania Fusileros, as well as a pair of the HMMWVs, one each with an AGL, and an HMG. Each Infantry Company had a two-man Carl Gustave recoilless rifle team attached.

According to the tally being kept by Subteniente Villanueva, Teniente Coronel de Ribera’s Aide-de-Camp, out of four hundred and fifty-five personnel that had departed the 25/a Batallon de Infanteria compound this morning, including attachments, there were two hundred and forty-four soldiers fit for duty, including walking wounded. There were seventy-four wounded men under medical care, some of whom had been condemned to die because the promised MedEvac by helicopter had been denied. In the back of a truck were the bodies of nine men recovered off the battlefield, and six more who had died of their wounds.

Worst of all, one hundred and twenty-two men could not be accounted for and were missing in action. Perhaps a few would be able to E&E (Escape and Evade) back to their comrades. Losses among the men was around fifty percent, it was similar among the officers. Of the twenty-two officers of the 25/a Batallon de Infanteria that deployed this morning, 1 was KIA, six more were Missing in Action, presumed dead; two were seriously wounded, and at lese four more had minor wounds, but could still do their duty. Of the eleven officers attached from Zona Militar 5/a two were MIA, one severely wounded, and three others had lesser wounds.

The mortars had each lobbed a pair of star shells to the north and south; then four HE shells at some fleeting targets to the north. As the crews scrambled to board their pickup trucks, ground guides staged the other vehicles onto the highway. Using his NVGs, Teniente Coronel de Ribera confirmed the Cazadores Peloton was four hundred meters out front, and had encountered no resistance. Coronel de Ribera gave the code word: “Havoc!” over the battalion radio net, all the vehicles roared to life, turned on their ‘cat’s eyes’ ‘black-out’ marker lights and raced off at nearly fifty kilometers per hour.

10 kilometers East of Cuauhtémoc, Chihuahua state (150km northeast of the Barranca del Cobre)
Dusk turning into Night
(about 6:03 PM ZPT) Tuesday March 27th 2018
(dialogue is spoken in the “Common Tongue” or military Lingo; words in Italics are in the Imperial Language aka ‘Polite Speech’)

Sitting upon his warhorse, Tacticus Aubrey saw the lingering star shells, the bursts of several explosive rounds, and a few of what he would learn were tracer rounds. Seconds later the sounds of detonations, and the faint roar of the engines indicated the indigenous warriors had likely evaded his encircling forces. From the good position the enemy had chosen, they had defeated his forlorn hope. From the same high ground, they used superior firepower to keep back his probing attacks. He had hoped to fix the enemy in place, while his infantry and remaining siege engines had attempted to march around them, to another battlefield of his choosing.

Their magical vehicles provided them superior mobility. The rain was causing the ground to become muddy, so their use of the wondrously paved road exacerbated their mobility advantage. Notwithstanding the enemy’s material advantages, his forces had destroyed, or better yet, immobilized nearly three dozen of their vehicles. A few were merely stuck in the mud, or just abandoned, perhaps some others could be repaired. Despite the sturdy redoubts, and good camouflage, the enemy had managed to destroy more than half of his war engines, and inflict several thousand casualties amongst his forces.

Commanded by the Quaestors, aided by Magisters, and Litori, some of his lightly wounded soldiers, as well as camp followers were policing the battlefield, collecting booty, and a few prisoners as well. Initial reports indicated fewer than three score enemy dead, and perhaps a dozen prisoners. That meant for each man the barbarians lost, they inflicted some thirty casualties amongst the Imperial forces. They even managed to slay three mighty Trolls! Never had he heard of the forces of the Basilieus suffering such losses at the hands of indigenous forces.

No matter how cunning the barbarians were, the Imperials captured quite a trove of items. Anything crafted by barbarians could surely be replicated by the artisans and crafters of the Empire. Although there did not seem to be any gold, nor even silver in the possession of these barbarians, because of the value of their weapons and other artifacts, this was certainly the largest bounty of loot that Tacticus Aubrey had ever earned. Perhaps, similar to the barbarians here, he would eschew mere coinage, and seek to retain as many functioning weapons and artifacts that Desportes Lazula and Drax Ulrich would permit him.

Perhaps his superiors would chastise him for failing to pursue, never the less, he would not engage the indigenous warriors in open ground if he could avoid it. The firepower of these Mexican warriors was devastating, and they could shoot much further than crossbows. In particular their rapid-fire weapons inflicted many casualties, to which there was no comparison. There were even larger Gunz, ones that could only be carried by vehicles, not men. If he could not fight them with advantage in the open, he would have to figure how to force the enemy to fight him in locations to his advantage.

Objective Brazos, El Mirador, junction of Federal Route 16 and the Nonoava-El Mirador Road; 38km East of Cuauhtémoc
1900 Hours
(7:00 PM) ZPT Tuesday March 27th 2018
(dialogue is spoken in Spanish, but written in English; some Spanish in italics)

Culebra Zero Six. Thi--s --or Six Six Actual. Sit Rep. Over.” General Brigadier Allende, commander of Zona Militar 5/a said.

Teniente Coronel Calleja, stuttering, mumbled, “Mi General, ummm, Ob-object’v B-brazos, is, uh, s-s-secure.”

Culebra Zero Six. This is Matador Six Six Actual. Say Again. You are coming in Broken. Over.”

Sitting up straight, and blinking his eyes, it took a nearly a minute before Teniente Coronel Calleja replied, walking over the next transmission, “Uh, Matador Six Six Actual, this is Culebra Zero Six. Objective Brazos is Secure. Uh, over.”

“Damnit! Culebra Zero Six-- Matador Six Six Actual. Say Again. You are coming in Broken and Stupid!”

Teniente Coronel Calleja said quickly, “Matador Six Six, Culebra Zero Six. Interference with radio signals. Possible Jamming. Say Again, Objective Brazos is Secure.”

“Forget Puta Brazos! Enrique, I need you to perform a—Special Mission. Select only your most trustworthy personnel. Intercept All Toro elements, in particular Toro Zero Six! Divert them to the vicinity of San Andres, in Riva Palacio, approximately twenty kilometers north of Phase Line Pinzon. At Pinzon, you will coordinate with some Federales who will know what to do. You will Escort the Matador Six Two Bravo element to my location. Tell Toro Zero Six he is to occupy the assigned location to the Last Man. Understand?” General Brigadier Allende said.

Teniente Coronel Enrique Calleja said, “Si Jefe.”

Culebra Zero Six, you must move immediately! Toro is almost at your location. Do Not Fail Me. Understand!”

Teniente Coronel Calleja said, “Si Mi General.”

As he was handing the radio hand set to his Aide-de-Camp, Teniente Coronel Calleja screamed, “Mayor Valdez, to My Position. Immediately!”

The Executive Officer of the 13/a Batallon de la Policia Militar dashed into the abandoned home of the Acalde of El Mirador the municipal seat of Gran Morelos; he snapped into a ridged position of attention, and rendered a crisp salute, saying, “Mayor Valdez Reporting as Ordered, Mi Coronel.”

Mayor Valdez, you will swiftly organize a Security Peloton of four gun-trucks, and our most reliable men. Ensure the Mk19 AGL, and at least two M2HB heavy machineguns are included. Immediately block Federal Route 16. We must halt the 25/a Batallon de Infanteria, I have new orders for Toro Zero Six Bravo from General Allende. You will escort them to a location near San Andres, in Riva Palacio. Deadly Force is Authorized. You will cooperate with the Federales, until you get further orders. I will accompany you to Phase Line Pinzon, then I will be escorting the Zona Militar 5/a Military Intelligence Cell to Headquarters. Vamanos!”

Mayor Valdez again saluted crisply, receiving a ‘fly swat’ in return; then briskly carried out his orders.

As soon as his XO departed, Teniente Coronel Calleja bellowed, “Captain Primero Gomez! Report. Immediately!”

For several minutes Teniente Coronel Calleja paced back and forth, slapping his leather gloves against his thigh. Meanwhile, his valet was packing his gear in the master bedroom, and his cook was preparing him some fresh coffee, and a light repast. Outside his driver, and the members of his personal security detail were preparing to depart as soon as possible. His Aide-de-Camp made sure his Jefe’s leather seat was polished, and all of his trash removed, before checking the radios. The young Teniente occasionally glanced about the empty village, his hand straying to the butt of his pistol.

The commander of the 1/a Compania Captain Primero Gomez raced into the building, assumed the position of attention, presented arms crisply, and said, “Captain Gomez Reporting as Ordered!”

“Tsk. Tsk. Punctuality, and of course an immaculate appearance, and enthusiastic Obedience of Orders! Those are the traits of a successful officer. Don’t provide me cause to doubt your Loyalty. I have received Orders from General Allende! I shall execute them personally. Until you are properly relieved, continue with our duties in this filthy hamlet. It seems that Teniente Coronel de Ribera has failed in his duties. So, perhaps you will receive new orders soon. Since the peons have fled their hovels, I doubt there is any purpose to remaining here. Perhaps you will need to establish a roadblock on Route 16. Don’t make Me look bad. Dismissed.” Teniente Coronel Calleja said in a loud voice, his breath redolent of garlic and stale coffee.

The Captain saluted with precision, just as his superior expected, and departed on the double. With a gesture, Teniente Coronel Calleja indicated his Batman should return to carry the Coronel’s helmet and body armor out to his Chevy Suburban, along with his baggage. The Coronel’s cook was wrapping up his meal, since there was not sufficient time for him to enjoy it. While the Coronel sipped from a cup of coffee, the cook filled a thermos with the rest of the pot of coffee; for the Coronel’s exclusive use this cold and clammy evening.

Teniente Coronel Calleja stepped out onto the porch, set his officer’s saucer cap, with gold braid, and gold ‘scrambled eggs’ on the brim, just so upon his head. At least the wretched weather was respectful of his person, and the rain and drizzle had ceased, at least for the time being. It was as dark as a dictator’s heart, and cold as the breath of death. The only light emanated from the interior lights of his luxury SUV. They could barely hear the faint noise of his soldiers racing to intercept that bullheaded brute de Ribera, and the retreating stragglers of the Infantry battalion. Teniente Coronel Calleja suddenly noticed a smell, similar to a sty, or a midden; he wrinkled his nose. As he climbed into his black, armored, Chevy Suburban command vehicle, he muttered about slovenly peons.

Federal Route 16, Gran Morelos, 41 km East of Cuauhtémoc, 75 km Southwest of the city of Chihuahua
1915 Hours
(7:15 PM) ZPT Tuesday March 27th 2018
(dialogue is spoken in Spanish, but written in English; some Spanish in italics)

“Ahhh. Toro Zero Six, this is, umm, Toro Niner Two. Umm, We, uh have a problem—” Captain Segundo Brown said.

Teniente Coronel de Ribera heard the transmission of the assistant S-2 (Intelligence Officer) for Zona Militar 5/a whom was in charge of the Military Intelligence Cell that had been attached to the 25/a Batallon de Infanteria. However, de Ribera had more immediate concerns. He was reading a series of text messages that his wife had sent a couple of hours ago, but were now popping up on his personal cellular phone. Several sedans had shown up at their home, at first, she was alarmed that he had been hurt, or killed. They disabused her of that notion, and insisted that she and their children must go into protective custody. They only allowed them a few minutes to pack one bag each. There had been no further text messages for nearly an hour.

Teniente Coronel de Ribera, using the microphone for the Battalion Net, said, “Toro Niner Two, Toro Zero Six. Sit Rep, Over.”

There was a delay before Captain Segundo Brown said, “Uhhh, we have, umm, had to stop. You, Toro Two Six and Toro Three Six are, uh, leaving us, uh, behind. You are requested to return to our location. Uh, vicinity of Objective Brazos. How Copy? Over.”

Toro Niner Two, you, and Toro One Six, and other Toro Elements are halted in the vicinity of Objective Brazos. What is the reason for your Halt? Over.” Teniente Coronel de Ribera said.

“Involuntary—”

Teniente Coronel de Ribera said, “Toro Niner Two, Toro Zero Six. Say Again. Over.”

There was no further response over the radio. Teniente Coronel de Ribera organized turning around the front of the 25/a Batallon de Infanteria convoy. As much as possible vehicles remained in the same order, with de Ribera’s Chevy Blazer now leading, followed by Mayor Jiménez, and his temporary command, the 3/a Compania Fusileros, then the 2/a Compania Fusileros, two (DGIM) HMMWVs of the Heavy Weapons Peloton. The Cazadores Peloton constituted a temporary rear guard.

It took more than twenty minutes for them to turn around, then rejoin the stalled portion of the column. They arrived about the same time that the black Chevy Suburban that Teniente Coronel Calleja, commander of the 13/a Batallon de la Policia Militar halted where the SUV and four gun-trucks had bisected the column of the 25/a Batallon de Infanteria.

Teniente Coronel de Ribera dismounted into the renewed drizzle, he stalked toward the luxury SUV, and growled, “Why are you delaying the transport of my Wounded Men to the Hospital!”

Teniente Coronel Calleja emerged from his luxury SUV, glanced up at the clouds, sniffed, then with deliberation pulled back the hood of his parka, exposing his saucer cap with its gold braid, and oversized rank insignia, before saying in a bored tone, “Orders. Your orders have changed. You are to proceed to the vicinity of San Andres, in Riva Palacio. You will Hold Until Relieved. Shortly some Federales will arrive to be your guides. Perhaps they will have further orders for you.”

“What about my Wounded!” Teniente Coronel de Ribera demanded.

Teniente Coronel Calleja shrugged, then said mildly, “They are not my problem. Your responsibility is to Follow Orders.”

Teniente Coronel Calleja turned his back upon the commander of the 25/a Batallon de Infanteria, and said to Captain Segundo Brown, “You are to follow me, along with all of the members of your detachment.”

Teniente Coronel de Ribera stalked back to his command vehicle, where Subteniente Villanueva, his Aide-de-Camp, handed him the radio handset for Zona Militar 5/a, the Colonel said, “Matador Six Six, Matador Six Six. This is Toro Zero Six Actual! Wha—”

Toro Zero Six, this is Matador Six Three. Matador Six Six is not available. I have written confirmation of your change of orders. You must comply, or you will be relieved of command. Out.”

Teniente Coronel de Ribera shouted, “This is Not about me! You Bastard! Where Are the Damned Med-Evac Helicopters for my MEN! They are Dying while you Pendejos Fornicate!”

There was silence for several minutes, just as Teniente Coronel de Ribera raised the microphone up to his mouth again, the reply came over the radio speaker “Uh. I-I will try to get you medical support for your wounded, including some Med-Evac helicopters. How many wounded require evacuation?” Mayor de la Barca, the S3 Operations Officer and Assistant Chief of Staff of Zona Militar 5/a said.

“We have Seventy-Two severely wounded, including more than twenty with life threating wounds or third-degree burns. At least two more of my men have died from their wounds. More than thirty have significant wounds, but are still bearing arms. Enemy forces targeted our medical vehicles, we are short of medical supplies! Please help my men!” Teniente Coronel de Ribera said.

“I will do what is possible. Matador Zero Three, Out.” Mayor de la Barca said.

Hidalgo Task Force Ground Control Station Cannon Air Force Base, near Clovis, New Mexico
2020 Hours (8:20 PM) Tuesday March 27th 2018
(7:20 PM ZPT)

“I wonder why the 25th Battalion went past, and is now doubling back to what has to be Brazos. Co-ordination seems off. I wonder what they are saying?” Lieutenant Colonel Martinez said out load, perhaps not realizing it.

Staff Sergeant Brussels said, “Sir, you can sit at my station. I believe that Lieutenant Washington would be able to show you how to listen either real time, or to recorded radio transmissions.”

“What?” Lieutenant Colonel Martinez asked.

Staff Sergeant Brussels said, “Sir, you asked to hear what these units of the Mexican Army are saying. The RQ-9 has been recording as much as possible, over multiple spectrums. I am still learning the differences between the capabilities of the RQ-9 and this GCS, and the J-STARS systems I am more familiar with. Lieutenant Washington is our subject matter expert.”

“Oh. I didn’t realize I had spoken. Yeah. Let’s try that. By the way, do you prefer Eileen, Brussels—or Sprout?” Lieutenant Colonel Martinez asked, then he grinned and winked.

Master Sergeant Cooper laughed when he saw the expression on Sergeant Brussels’ face.

It’s part of an XO’s job to know all the personnel. At least as much as possible. So, of course I know your nickname. Rattling off everyone’s full name, rank, and title is cumbersome, and in a crisis, potentially deadly. In the Teams we mostly use ‘Handles’ or nicknames. So, at least here in the Cockpit, just call me Edgar. Although, this is shaping up to be a real Rodeo. So, I’d kinda like to be called the Segundo.” Lieutenant Colonel Martinez said.

Master Sergeant Cooper said, “Segundo is the number two in a Cattle Drive, not a ro-de-o.”

“Whatever. Segundo has a ring to it.” Edgar said.

Colonel Wojciechowski said, “Typically, on deployments, many special operations units are informal. Joint service units usually have to shake things out to reach a happy medium. Notionally, we will treat our compound as if we are deployed. To sustain good relations with the Base personnel, we will maintain good order and discipline past the Hescos. My senior staff can call me by my first name. Figure out a Handle for me, God knows my partonomic is a mouthful, most folks mispronounce it.”

“Trail Boss. If I’m the Segundo of this Rodeo. Or, trail drive, then He’s the Trail Boss.” Edgar said.

Akira said, “Paladin. A Hidalgo is not a Cowboy. That would be a Vaquero. A Hidalgo is a noble, a Knight, or a Paladin, like Roland. Or King Stanislaus, who commanded the Winged Hussars.”

Edgar gave a low whistle, then said, “If The Gunny, or Nightlinger heard that soliloquy, they’d damn sure call You a College Boy.”

“I’m just Akira. The only other handle or nickname I will admit to is ‘Spock’ which is what some of my classmates called me.” Akira said.

Colonel Wojciechowski said, “Paladin. That’s settled. Have you guys figured out what the Mexican Army has been jaw’n about?”

During the banter inside the ‘cockpit’ or GCS (Ground Control Station), Staff Sergeant Brussels got out of her seat, so that Edgar could access the data systems directly. While the Mexican Army remained stalled, the RQ-9 was relegated to a lazy oval above the column of vehicles at three thousand meters AGL. The loop was more than seven kilometers east to west, and four kilometers north to south. Set on auto-pilot, Lieutenant Washington briefed Edgar how to listen to recorded radio transmissions.

Edgar grew up in Naches, near Yakima, Washington, agriculture, in particular, apples, were the economic focus. Edgar was a third generation US Citizen, but there were many recent immigrants from Mexico, and other Spanish speaking nations; some of them illegals. Not surprisingly, Edgar grew up bilingual, he also learned Latin in Catholic school, and picked up some Japanese and Mandarin Chinese; at the DLI he had learned both Arabic and Farsi, the language of Persia, a.k.a. Iran.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close