Aztlán Portal - Cover

Aztlán Portal

Copyright© 2021 by Paladin_HGWT

Chapter 13: First Battle of Cuauhtémoc

Federal Route 16, Outskirts of Cuauhtémoc, Chihuahua state (140km northeast of the Barranca del Cobre)
1515 Hours (3:15 PM) ZPT (Zona Pacifico) Tuesday March 27th 2018

(dialogue spoken in Spanish, but written in English; some Spanish is in italics)

As the rain closed in visibility became restricted. Just before the rain really started coming down, it looked as if there were several pillars of smoke off to the southwest, fifteen hundred, to maybe twenty-five hundred meters away. So far neither Cossack Six One, nor any of the other members of the Cazadores Peloton had reported anything; Teniente Coronel de Ribera was not going to micro-manage them. He had Soldado de Primera Reyes follow the same path the scouts took, and cross over to the eastbound lanes. He had his driver remain in what would have been the oncoming lanes of traffic, if there had been any operational civilian vehicles. The MAN three-ton truck transporting the Battalion Headquarters followed, as did two of the (DGIM) HMMWVs of the Weapons Peloton.

The three M35A1 two-and-a-half ton trucks transporting the 1/a Compania Fusileros, as well as Captain Primero Guerrero’s M151A2 quarter ton truck, two more Weapons Peloton (DGIM) HMMWVs, and two Chevy Silverados, each carrying an M1 60mm mortar and crew, rolled slowly by in the westbound lanes. Scanning with his binoculars, Teniente Coronel de Ribera observed a crude roadblock, and further west of it, dozens of what appeared to be abandoned vehicles. There were no obvious defenders, however, there were plenty of places an enemy could be hiding.

The roadblock was only in the eastbound lanes, approximately the location of Phase Line Cuervo. Teniente Coronel de Ribera ordered Captain Primero Guerrero to have his 1/a Compania Fusileros deploy on line a thousand meters east of Phase Line Cuervo, then move, dismounted to contact. The rest of the 25/a Batallon de Infanteria would remain mounted, maintaining at least twenty meters separation between vehicles (closing up some from when they were travelling). Captain Primero Ruiz and his 2/a Compania Fusileros would keep three hundred meters behind the vehicles of 1/a Compania Fusileros. Mayor Jiménez, was to close up, and deploy the ad-hoc Security Peloton to secure the rear of the column. They would maintain three-sixty security until they occupied Objective Condor.

Teniente Coronel de Ribera switched to the radio handset for Zona Militar 5/a and said, “Matador Zero Three, this is Toro Zero Six.”

Toro Zero Six, this is Matador Zero Three. You have traffic for me? Over” Mayor de la Barca said over the radio.

Coronel de Ribera said, “Matador Zero Three, Toro Zero Six. There is a crude Roadblock in the eastbound lanes of Federal Route 16, vicinity Phase Line Cuervo. I am deploying Toro One Six. No hostiles observed. Will report any Contact, or when we Occupy Objective Condor. Over.”

Toro Zero Six, Matador Zero Three. Roger. Standing By. Out.”

Less than a minute later, out of the corner of his eye, he saw an (DGIM) HMMWV with a Mk 19 40mm AGL burst into flames! The gunner flailed his arms and disappeared inside the gunner’s hatch. The vehicle sped up for a couple of seconds, then coasted to a stop. Dozens of projectiles were hurtling at his soldiers from their right flank. Coronel de Ribera searched in vain for their attackers! Through the pouring rain he could not detect any muzzle flashes, nor missile launch signatures. He pounded his fist on the dashboard.

Belatedly he yelled into the microphone, “Ambush! Action Right! Toro Two Six, Toro Three Six, ACTION RIGHT! Assault Through Enemy Position to the North! Service Units evade to Left! Service units assemble Three Hundred Meters South of MSR!”

Teniente Coronel de Ribera switched radio handsets, and reported, “Matador Zero Three Toro Zero Six am Engaged! Enemy Force One Klick NORTH of MSR, Fifteen Hundred Meter Frontage Northeast of Condor! I Am Engaging! Out!”

Teniente Coronel de Ribera pointed, and told his driver, “Reyes link up with One Six!”

Switching back to the Battalion Net, he said, “Toro One Six Sweep Right! Try to Flank this Ambush!”

“Say Again Toro Zero Six.” Came over the speaker of the radio for Zona Militar 5/a.”

Teniente Coronel de Ribera switched the primary radio to the frequency for the Cazadores Peloton and said, “Cossack Six One, Toro Zero Six, return to location three hundred meters south of MSR, Screen to West and South. Watch Our Backs! Out!”

Switching back to the Battalion Radio Net he was overwhelmed with a barrage of jumbled voices! Teniente Coronel de Ribera hoped his Company Commanders were using their Company tactical frequencies. He clutched the radio microphone, but said nothing. Instead, he peered through the rain glazed passenger side window and tried to discern any enemy positions. He could see occasional bright flashes, some perhaps two thousand meters away along Federal Route 16, perhaps among his Service and Support units, or perhaps from 3/a Compania Fusileros. It seemed surreal, there was not nearly the amount of noise he expected. Then, to his right front, a Chevy Silverado exploded!

Hidalgo Task Force Ground Control Station, Cannon Air Force Base, near Clovis, New Mexico
1555 Hours
(3:55 PM) MDT Tuesday March 27th 2018
(2:55 PM ZPT just before the Battle <northeast> of Cuauhtémoc began. Most of the year Mountain Time in the USA and Canada is the same as in the Zona Pacifico in Mexico; however, in the USA Daylight Savings Time starts on the 2nd Sunday in March; it is still “Standard” Time in Mexico until the 1st Sunday in April.)

Master Sergeant Christopher Cooper finished checking some cable connections to hopefully prevent any further system error warnings; he was wearing a borrowed pair of coveralls over his civilian clothes. They were lucky that the Prototype Block 50 GCS (Ground Control Station) for their MQ-9 Reaper RPA had been in prior operation, and had been prepared for shipment in a thoroughly professional manner. Although they had gotten the RPA in the air remarkably quickly, they paid a price for disregarding SOP for activating a GCS. Various people had to redo some tasks multiple times because parameters changed, or their inputs were voided.

Lieutenant Washington faced the greatest frustrations, partially hampered by his injury; mostly because of mandated alterations to the flight plan. His pleasure at how user friendly the system was, especially the configurable ‘Glass Screen’ control panels, was tempered by the reality that they were not able to fully exploit all of the capabilities of the system. Too much of their set up had been done by intuition, or SWAG (“Scientific Wild Ass Guess”). Some things, especially the electrical power connections, and to a lesser degree, the up-links were jury rigged.

Seat of the pants! If they caught a crop duster flying in such a cavalier manner, they’d yank his pilot’s license! Somewhere, they were supposed to have information on Mexican radar capabilities. Lieutenant Washington didn’t even know if they had an air defense network. He wasn’t sure what was being done in terms of deconfliction with NORAD, other elements of the US Air Force, or civilian air traffic. According to Lieutenant Commander Ellis they did not have time to fly a dogleg, or other deceptive measures. In between his having to program the flight, and learn the idiosyncrasies of the prototype Block 50 GCS, he had to coach Sergeant Brussels how to perform the duties of a Sensor Operator. The compartment was crowded with spectators too.

Lieutenant Commander Ellis, his hand cupping his chin was muffling his voice as he mumbled, “Coming up on Cuauhtémoc. Damn, looks like there’s already been a battle here. Looks like there has been significant damage to structures, especially in the urban center. I observe multiple heat sources that appear to be open fires, as well as what looks like smoke. There are people down there.”

“No obvious civilian traffic in or around the urban area. Correction. I observe no moving civilian vehicles. I do observe many immobile vehicles, some have obvious indications of significant damage. Perhaps several dozen, all in the eastbound lanes of Federal Route 16, most near the east side of the urban area. There appears to be a roadblock in the eastbound lanes of the highway.” Staff Sergeant Brussels said.

Lieutenant Commander Ellis said, “There doesn’t seem to be any military activity in the urban area. I anticipate the Mexican Army will be approaching from the east. Most likely using Federal Route 16 as high-speed avenue of approach. It will likely be their MSR as well. Hey, is that a military convoy approaching from the East?”

“I confirm an approaching column of military and civilian vehicles from the East. Umm, it appears there are indications of camouflaged field fortifications vicinity grid CM18414363 to CM21404143. Environmental conditions degrading visuals. Request descent from four thousand meters to one thousand meters AGL.” Staff Sergeant Brussels said.

(AGL: Above Ground Level)

Lieutenant Washington said, “I’ve never flown an MQ-9 that low over a target. It’s in violation of SOP.”

“Are there any flight hazards? I am not aware of any man-made structures or terrain features in the vicinity.” Colonel Wojciechowski said.

Lieutenant Washington said, “There is a threat of detection. Possibly anti-aircraft fire. Even small arms.”

“I spotted the fieldworks because they have no overhead cover or concealment. I do not observe any indications of anti-air defenses. I will remain alert for them. It appears the unknown force northeast of the urban area and parallel to—umm, Federal Route 16, it appears to be a linear ambush—Vehicles approaching from the east.” Staff Sergeant Brussels said.

Lieutenant Commander Ellis said, “I Need better data. Please descend.”

“Maybe I am too used to Marine Aviation. Lieutenant Washington, please descend to one thousand meters, my responsibility.” Colonel Wojciechowski said.

Lieutenant Washington said, “Roger, Wilco.”

Colonel Wojciechowski used his government issued cellular phone to call Mr. Adams, he answered on the third ring, and Wojciechowski said, “This is Ski. In the Red. There is stuff you need to know, but I don’t have a Secure Line to talk to you on at this moment. I will need a courier to send you copies of the data—Damn!”

He broke the connection as Mr. Adams was yelling something. A vehicle on the right flank of the column burst into flames. Several vehicles were on fire, a couple of them were still moving. There were no launch signatures. No indications of why these vehicles were burning. Perhaps the enemy had set up mines or IEDs as part of a complex ambush. Some vehicles had stopped, others were beginning to maneuver. Colonel Wojciechowski noticed that while the RPA had been descending, and he had been on the phone, some infantry had dismounted at the front of the column, and had advanced in a skirmish line towards Cuauhtémoc. Now they were enfiladed by the ambush, however, perhaps they were out of the kill zone.

Federal Route 16, Outskirts of Cuauhtémoc, Chihuahua state (140km northeast of the Barranca del Cobre)
1535 Hours (3:35 PM) ZPT Tuesday March 27th 2018

(dialogue is spoken in Spanish, but written in English; some Spanish in italics)

Cabo Lopez cried out and slumped partially into the cab of the MAN three-ton truck transporting the Headquarters of the 25/a Batallon de Infanteria. Sargento Mayor Dominguez stood up from the passenger seat, reached up, and was surprised to feel a wooden shaft. Somehow a spear had been jabbed into the side of the young soldier, despite his body armor. He could not move him, so he yanked the spear out. Gently he lowered the wounded soldier into the arms of Sargento Segundo Diaz, the Mess Sergeant, who had been driving the truck. They had stopped behind Teniente Coronel de Ribera’s Chevy Blazer command vehicle.

Sargento Mayor Dominguez stood on the center seat, released the brake on the cupola ring, and by main force, rotated the cupola so the M2HB .50 caliber heavy machinegun, and the gun shield were facing ‘Three o’ Clock’ or to the right of the vehicle, and direction of the incoming fire. He couldn’t see any muzzle flashes, although the rain wasn’t falling that hard. There! He spotted some movement, it looked like some kind of crew served weapon in a prepared position. He had heard Cabo Lopez double cock the big gun as the soldiers of the 1/a Compania Fusileros began dismounting a few minutes ago, just before everything went to Shit!

>Boom – Boom – Boom -Boom- Boom – Boom – Boom – Boom<

Thunder and Lightning, very, very frightening! The slow booming cadence and the vibration of the powerful weapon was a balm for the veteran NCO, who had never been in a battle such as this. No soldier in the Mexican Army had in nearly a hundred years. Ironically, the design of the gun he was firing was even older. Tracers like flaming ping pong balls, as well as great divots of earth allowed him to walk his fire into the enemy soldiers. The impact of a dozen bullets, each larger than his thumb, devastated the enemy position! Portions of the earthen berm were blown away, at least two enemy soldiers had been slammed back by impacts of the half inch diameter bullets. Sargento Mayor Dominguez fired two more bursts into the enemy position to make sure they would kill or wound no more of his comrades.

Finally, some of his soldiers were fighting back. Cabo Lopez on the M2HB heavy machinegun, Cabo Gonzales had gotten out of the backseat, and was delivering deliberate fire with his H&K G3A2 rifle. Captain Primero Guerrero was reorganizing his 1/a Compania Fusileros, and supporting heavy weapons, and changing their orientation from facing west to facing north. The 2/a Peloton of the 1/a Compania Fusileros had deployed their 3/a Squad to become their right wing, and a base of fire. The 3/a Squad had Peloton’s only HK21 machinegun.

Teniente Coronel de Ribera grabbed the radio handset for Zona Militar 5/a and said, “Matador Zero Three, this is Toro Zero Six.”

Toro Zero Six, this is Matador Six Five Actual! We have been trying to get a Response from you for more than Five Minutes! Pay Attention to This Damn Frequency! Do You Understand!” Coronel Mora said forcefully over the radio.

Teniente Coronel de Ribera said, “Matador Six Five, Toro is being engaged by an estimated Brigade sized force! They are in Fortified and camouflaged positions Northeast of Condor. I say again, North of our Approach Route. Enemy have Low Signature Anti-Armor Weapons! They have engaged and destroyed one of my Mortar Teams, and at least two of my Humvees! Visibility is low, it is raining, and we are engaged on an approximately three-kilometer front. Over.”

Toro Zero Six, you are reporting a Brigade sized force, Northeast of Condor?”

Teniente Coronel de Ribera repeated, “Matador Six Five, Correct. Toro is being engaged by numerically superior forces from NORTH of Federal Route Sixteen! Northeast. I Say Again Northeast of Objective Condor. We had No Intelligence about a force this Large, nor of Anti-Armor Weapons! I Must Fight My Battalion Out! – Wait! We are taking Casualties! Requesting Medevac! Over.”

Toro Zero Six, this is Matador Zero Two. You are engaged by Sicarios. Narcos.” The Zona Militar 5/a Intelligence officer Mayor Uvale probed.

Teniente Coronel de Ribera said, “Matador Zero Two. Any Prisoners will be turned over to Your Cell. Out.”

Ignoring the babble of voices, Teniente Coronel de Ribera stepped out of his Chevy Blazer, and ordered, “Cabo Gonzales, grab my tactical radio, Follow Me!”

Obediently, his bodyguard ceased fire, and reached into the SUV to retrieve the tactical radio in its backpack carrier. Teniente Coronel de Ribera ignored the rain, and using his binoculars, attempted to determine what was occurring to the east, that had become his right flank. He could see soldiers of what should be elements of 2/a Compania Fusileros were moving forward, conducting Bounding Overwatch. He could see, and hear their fire being delivered to their front. He could not identify their targets, he hoped they could. One of their “Deuce-and-a-Half” medium trucks that had been transporting a third of the Company was ablaze, he hoped those soldiers got out before it was hit.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Zzzzzzzz Zzzzzzz Zzzzzz Zzzzzz Zzzzzz Zzzzzzz Zzzzzzzz Zzzzzzz

There were annoying buzzing sounds, similar to that of bullets passing nearby, but not quite. One had sounded particularly loud. Teniente Coronel de Ribera began stalking over to where he thought Captain Primero Guerrero should be. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ >CRACK< “Ay Caramba!” exclaimed Cabo Gonzales. Coronel de Ribera head snapped around; he was startled to witness a Large SPEAR ricochet from the bullet resistant glass of the window above the right rear wheel of his SUV. A web of cracks indicated where the weapon had impacted. Who or What could throw such a weapon hard enough Do That! And Why?

>Boom – Boom – Boom -Boom- Boom – Boom – Boom – Boom<

“Enemy Crew Served Weapon, One O Clock! Engaging!” Sargento Mayor Dominguez shouted as he pointed, he then continued firing the M2HB heavy machinegun.

Cabo Gonzales halted a few meters from Teniente Coronel de Ribera, brought his H&K G3A2 rifle to his shoulder, and began squeezing off deliberate shots. Several hundred meters away, the crew of the HK21 machinegun belonging to the 2/a Peloton of the 1/a Compania Fusileros shifted their fire to the same target; as did several other Mexican soldiers. The Bull Throated senior NCO was proving to be as valuable in Battle, as he had always been in garrison, and training. de Ribera resisted the urge to fire his carbine, and instead walked over to Cabo Gonzales, and grabbed the radio handset from where it was attached to his tactical vest.

>SSSssshhwwwwuuuuuummmm< >FFFWWWWUUUMMMMP<

Something had flitted across the vision of Teniente Coronel de Ribera from left to right, just before the MAN three-ton truck, carrying the personnel and equipment for his headquarters exploded an eerie fire from its right side! Sargento Mayor Dominguez who had been manning the M2HB .50 caliber heavy machinegun mounted on a ring mount on top of the cab, had ceased firing, and was roaring hoarsely. The right side of his body was on Fire; there were terrible screams emanating from the back of the truck! The intensity of the fire continued to build, as did the pitches of the screams from in back!

Cabo Gonzales bolted away, yanking the radio microphone out of Teniente Coronel de Ribera’s hand. He began chasing after the burly NCO, who ran around to the driver’s side of the blazing truck, and scrambled inside the cab! Teniente Coronel de Ribera noticed that the Battalion Mess Sergeant, Sargento Segundo Diaz was rendering medical aid to Cabo Lopez, who was laying on the ground on the left side of the truck. As Cabo Gonzales dragged the burning body of Sargento Mayor Dominguez out of the cab; Sargento Diaz dropped the field dressing he was applying. Sargento Diaz grabbed a fire extinguisher from the cab, and began spraying foam upon the writhing senior NCO; the napalm like substance was difficult to extinguish, but was slowly smothered.

When Cabo Gonzales knelt, Teniente Coronel de Ribera switched the radio to the frequency for Zona Militar 5/a then retrieved the dangling radio handset, and said, “Matador Zero Three Toro Zero Six My Men Need MEDEVAC! IMMEDIATE! Over!”

“I am Sorry Toro Zero Six, your request for Med Evac support has been denied. Out.” Coronel Mora said.

Teniente Coronel de Ribera swore, “What Bastard Countermanded my Request! More of my Men will Die!”

Matador Six Six is concerned that it is too dangerous to risk any helicopters if you are taking casualties.” Mayor de la Barca, Matador Zero Three, said into the channel.

Teniente Coronel de Ribera yelled, “I Only NEED a MEDEVAC IF WE ARE SUFFERING CASUALTIES! Madre Dios!”

“Yes. Of course. I Understand, I wasn’t – What in Hell is that Infernal Sound?” Mayor de la Barca said.

Teniente Coronel de Ribera ground out, “That Is Hell! It’s My Men in my Headquarters Section Burning Alive! We Need that Damned Med Evac! Immediately! We Were Promised Med Evac Support!”

Ay Dios Mio!” Mayor de la Barca exclaimed.

Teniente Coronel de Ribera demanded, “Get Me Matador Six Six Actual. Over.”

Ay Ay Ay! They are still Screaming! I-I-I will get you Brigadier Allende! Wait, Out!”

The enemy was not waiting, so Teniente Coronel de Ribera grabbed Cabo Gonzales by the collar of his body armor, and yanked him to his feet. They left Sargento Segundo Diaz to tend to the wounded. The stench of burning pork mingled with oily smoke, making de Ribera gag. To avoid the smoke, they went around the front of the truck. >Spang< An arrow (crossbow bolt) ricochet off the cab of the blazing truck, causing Coronel de Ribera to flinch. He scanned for a target, trying to flip off the safety of his M4A1 carbine using only his left hand; still clutching the radio handset in his right hand.

Blessedly, a HMMWV FLA (Four-Litter Ambulance) screeched to a halt, the Physician’s Assistant attached to the Battalion Aid Station, from Zona Militar 5/a, hopped out, along with a Medic. Coronel de Ribera directed them to where the two wounded NCOs were on the far side of the burning truck. As they dashed off, a large spear struck the side of the FLA, low and left of the center of the Red Cross, but in the white! Bastards! Shooting at Medical Personnel is against the Geneva Conventions! Again, Coronel de Ribera noticed a projectile coming in from his left front.

>SSSssshhwwwwuuuuuummmm< >FFFWWWWUUUMMMMP<

The right side and roof of the HMMWV FLA was bathed in fire that flared with a greenish-purplish hue. The driver screamed and abandoned the blazing vehicle. Bastards! Puta! Teniente Coronel de Ribera jogged over to where he thought Captain Primero Guerrero should be. They needed to knock out these anti-vehicle weapons. Suddenly, behind him, he could hear yells and screams, some of them seemed inhuman! One crisis at a time! He would observe, and if necessary, guide the attack of 1/a Compania Fusileros, he had to keep his radio on the frequency of Zona Militar 5/a to ensure his men received Med Evac support!

Hidalgo Task Force Ground Control Station Cannon Air Force Base, near Clovis, New Mexico
1645 Hours (4:45 PM) MDT Tuesday March 27th 2018

Colonel Wojciechowski said, “This is the best damn view of a battlefield I have ever beheld, and I don’t have a solid idea of what in the hell is going on. I thought these Sicarios were supposed to be holed up in Cowmilk, playing urban guerrillas. They’re Narcos, Gangsters, aren’t they? Do they have links to the Taliban, Daesh, or the Iranian Republican Guard Quods Forces?”

“Uh. Rumors, there’s been speculation ... and some chatter that various Islamic radicals have been in contact with Mexican smugglers, which are the Narco gangs; seeking assistance to sneak into the USA. The IRG Quods Force too. Maybe. I’ve not seen anything about weapons, let alone tactics. Hmmm. I doubt it’s Daesh. These guys down there seem to have pretty effective camouflage, but Only at ground level. The Mexican Army is starting to lay down some effective fire. Yet they aren’t engaging many targets we can see. Brussels made a keen observation, they’ve got no overhead cover, nor concealment.” Lieutenant Commander Akira Ellis said.

He continued, “Daesh is well aware of UAVs and airstrikes. The Afghans have been concerned about air attack since the Soviets pummeled ‘em with Hind-D’s in the 80’s, the Taliban are too young for that, but they’ve heard the tales, and been hammered by our Apaches and UAVs, even B-52’s! IRG Quods Force are Bastards, but they’re reasonably professional, and they’ve learned from the last couple of years from Syria, and uh, other places. Um. Nevermind.”

Colonel Wojciechowski said, “Yeah. Compartmentalization. Need To Know. I Understand. We do Need to Know. If you think it has bearing on this. I could probably get everyone here Read On, if it’s relevant.”

“Idunno ... minute I’m think’n...” Akira mumbled.

It was eerily quiet. Even most of the electronic equipment in the prototype Block 50 GCS was quieter than what most people expected. It was even quieter than NORAD. Strange to be watching men die, Mexican soldiers, and yet it was as quiet as a church at midnight. There were vehicles on fire, and also smears of fire, sometimes linear, roughly north-south, or elongated ovals. There were bizarre little dots of flame, which, when zoomed in upon, were human torches! After Staff Sergeant Brussels zoomed in on one, no one wanted to see such details again!

“Ballista!” Lieutenant Colonel Martinez exclaimed.

Colonel Wojciechowski asked, “What? Wait, you mean like the Romans?”

“Yeah! Zoom in Brussels, please. See. They look like giant Crossbows. Kinda. Huh, that one looks different.” Lieutenant Colonel Martinez said.

Akira said, “Scorpions, Onagers, Ballista, some other similar stuff. They look more Byzantine, or maybe Chinese...”

“Why would the Narcos use those? Why not RPGs, or, Molotov Cocktails?” Colonel Wojciechowski asked.

Lieutenant Colonel Martinez said. “Range. These weapons they are using are hitting targets much further than you could throw a Molotov. I doubt most guerillas could hit a point target with an RPG at the range of engagement we are seeing.”

“I doubt these are Narcos. I will examine the data more closely later. There are a couple of things. Mostly, there’s too many of them. Also, look back here, these camps. We can examine them later; I think we should remain focused on the battle. I don’t think they are acting like how Mexican gang members would. There’ve been rumors ... Nevermind. My information indicated the Mexican Army was expecting to have to drive out Sicarios from several cartels, possibly some rogue Federales and local Policia, and possibly some other bandits, criminals. I don’t think they expected this.” Akira said.

Master Sergeant Cooper said, “Well, Colonel Wojciechowski, I spose all these folks heah is cleared ‘bout how the Sprout, El-Tee Wershingtun, an I got roped inta this rodeo? So, permission t’ speak freely.”

“Not everyone’s been briefed. Briefings were scheduled for a week or two in the future, but we have been overtaken by events. Permission to speak freely granted.” Colonel Wojciechowski said.

With everyone but Lieutenant Washington and Sergeant Brussels staring at him, Sergeant Cooper paused for a moment, licked his lips, and wiped his hands on his borrowed coveralls, before he said, “Well, rightly this is a tale for The Sprout to tell, cept’n she is busy. So, bout O-Dark-Thirty on the fifteenth, latest, there was an Anomaly on her screen at NORAD, look’n similar to a thermal bloom. Weren’t likely, but it coulda been either a missile launch, or a nuke splode’n. She did her Duty, an nearly got her head bit off! Most folks ud’ve had their tail tween their legs. Not Sprout, she wouldn’t buck, an hung on t’ the hurricane deck!”

He continued, “Well, she’s some savvy bout some int’rest’n parts of the net. She found some videos I thought plumb Loco! Cept, even a codger like me could tell weird as they were, they weren’t fake. An, someone was mak’n em disappear. She’d lernt her less’n, the Big Brass didn’t want t know. She confided in Wershingtun an me. Ya gotta see them videos, rather than my ramblin. My point is, Ain’t no-un Fake’n these images! Them Ain’t no Mex-can Gangsters. Ah’m pritty shore we’s look’n at a passel of them Aliens!”

“Aliens?” Lieutenant Colonel Martinez said with incredulity.

Master Sergeant Cooper stated firmly, “They Ain’t from round heah!”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close