Aztlán Portal - Cover

Aztlán Portal

Copyright© 2021 by Paladin_HGWT

Chapter 11: Time is Wasting

Apron near the Maintenance Hangers for UAVs Cannon Air Force Base, near Clovis, New Mexico
0815 Hours (8:15 AM) MDT Tuesday March 27th 2018

Lieutenant Washington, Staff Sergeant Brussels, Lieutenant Wallace, Captain MacElearney and several of his personnel were standing by, close to the flight line. They were watching a C-17 Globemaster III on final approach, on board was their first MQ-9 Reaper, a Ground Control Station, several vehicles, and a plethora of other equipment. Just like the various ground crew waiting to guide the aircraft to its designated parking location, or to unload it, the personnel of Task Force Hidalgo were wearing hearing protection, reflective belts or vests, and other protective gear.

The muted thunder of the giant transport was significantly different from the aircraft based at Cannon AFB, causing many service members and civilians to take notice. The C-17 Globemaster III touched down smoothly, and rolled through its landing without seeming effort. It was guided to a position on the Ramp. Everyone was pleased that the pilots shutdown the engines, rather than practice a ‘Hot Offload’ such as might be done in Afghanistan. Sometimes such training was incorporated into routine flights.

As the engines were spooling down, the rear ramp lowered to the tarmac. Personnel from Cannon went up and spoke to the Loadmaster who was walking down the tail-ramp. Lieutenant Wallace strolled on over, he was careful to keep out of the way of the personnel making preparations to unload the aircraft. He was scrolling through data on his tablet, preparing to confirm that items on the manifest were actually aboard the aircraft, and would be accounted for. Lieutenant Washington, and Staff Sergeant Brussels were focused upon the MQ-9 Reaper.

In addition to the MQ-9 Reaper, the vehicles, and other equipment, there were three men, and two women who accompanied the Reaper from its former Squadron. Technical Sergeant Gustafsson was the senior member of that detachment. Master Gunnery Sergeant Miles McLaughlin, and Technical Sergeant John Nightlinger were among some other personnel assigned to the Hidalgo Task Force who had hitched a ride aboard this flight. Everyone carried their personal gear in a duffle bag or rucksack, most of them carried a laptop bag too; a few had a Pelican case, or two, or three. Other personal gear was stowed in some palletized Tri-walls.

In addition to the MQ-9 were two vehicles, both appropriated from the Marines. One was an articulated, closed cab, ‘tactical’ forklift. The second was an extended boom forklift, that could function as a mobile crane sufficient for the projected needs of the task force; it too had an enclosed cab with limited climate control. The crew of the C17, and personnel from Cannon AFB would handle all of the unloading. There was no rush, and well-intentioned amateurs were not wanted. The Loadmasters ensured that no inadvertent contact by any pallets or vehicles would result in the grounding of their Globemaster III.

The containerized Ground Control Station (GCS) for the MQ-9 Reaper UAV, as well as its uplink dish, and a spare received almost the same degree of care being unloaded, as did the MQ-9 itself. In addition to the spare uplink dish, there were communications and data management equipment to permit the Hidalgo task force secure communications with those who wanted the information they would gather. Maintenance equipment and spare parts were also among the cargo carried on this flight. Under the careful supervision of Captain MacElearney, Lieutenant Washington, and Technical Sergeant Gustafsson, the MQ-9 Reaper UAV was ushered into the maintenance area of the hanger where they would perform a thorough inspection later in the day.

Checking, and re-checking his tablet, it seemed that there was a significant divergence between what was coming off the aircraft, and the manifest on Lieutenant Wallace’s tablet computer. Most significantly, an off-white shuttle bus, typical of those used between airports and nearby hotels or car rental agencies. When Lieutenant Wallace began to scrutinize the bus, the flight’s Loadmaster pointed to the crumpled right fender, and said, “That didn’t happen on this flight, sir. It was in that condition when we loaded it.”

Lieutenant Wallace nodded absently, as he was typing an inquiry into his tablet, before he sent it, Sergeant Nightlinger surprised him by lifting an earpiece of his hearing protection, and saying quietly, “It was added to the manifest at the last moment. Uh, sir.”

The Gunny also suggested to Lieutenant Wallace that he not concern himself with any discrepancies in the manifest, until after he conferred with either him, the task force senior NCO, or Sergeant Nightlinger. Petty Officer First Class Masipag drove the task force’s LMTV as close to the flight line as he was allowed. He hopped out of the cab, set the chock blocks, then directed the new arrivals to begin loading their personal gear into the back of the truck. Technical Sergeant Gustafsson handed over to Captain MacElearney, copies of the maintenance records of this particular RPV. He thanked her, before she led her personnel to join the others already aboard the LMTV.

Guided by the Loadmaster, Technical Sergeant Nightlinger drove the shuttle bus off the C-17, and from there to the Caprock Inn. The other vehicles were parked adjacent to another hanger, where the pallets destined for the Hidalgo Task Force were temporarily stored. Master Gunnery Sergeant McLaughlin spoke with Staff Sergeant Brussels, assured she was armed with a M-45A1CQBP pistol in a shoulder holster, and an M4A1 SOPMOD carbine on a tactical sling; he also verified she knew who to contact, and that she had her issue cellular phone and an MBITR hand held radio attached to her tactical vest.

Lieutenant Washington was satisfied that the MQ-9, the GCS, and other associated equipment were properly secured. After lunch, he, Captain MacElearney, Technical Sergeant Gustafsson, and Staff Sergeant Brussels, as well as other personnel would participate in the overhaul and inspection of the UAV and other equipment. Washington also confirmed that Brussels had removed all of the sensitive items from the Colonel’s Lincoln Navigator. Colonel Wojciechowski had loaned his SUV to the Lieutenant so that he could supervise the activities related to the arrival of the MQ-9; then go to his rescheduled physical therapy session.

Home of the Aunt of Penelope de la Cruz Pueblo, Colorado
Approximately 8:45 AM MDT Tuesday March 27th 2018
(dialogue is spoken in Spanish, but written in English; some Spanish in italics)

Raul de la Cruz parked the recently purchased 2011 Ford F-250 XLT Super Duty King Cab pickup truck, registered in the name of Ramon Jimenez, about a half a block away from the residence of his Great Aunt Delores. He requested that Manuel and Jacinthe Martinez remain in the vehicle while he made first contact with his mother. Before he had parked, Raul had driven past the home of his Great Aunt, twice. He and the Martinez kids had been alert for anyone lurking in the neighborhood. As he exited the truck, Raul tried to not appear to be too obvious that he was trying to conduct counter-surveillance.

Raul had been studying such techniques since he had decided to contact his mother, and his siblings. Uncle Rodrigo knew of all of their family members; however, he did not know the members of Penelope de la Cruz’s extended family all that well. Her Aunt Delores was not the only one living in the USA. Delores’ husband Ralph was a Gringo, as were most of their neighbors. Uncle Ralph was an Engineer, just like Raul’s father Antonio. Uncle Ralph was a General Contractor, and owned his own construction company.

Uncle Ralph’s truck was not in the driveway, but a Ford Excursion, bearing the company logo, was there. Raul knew that sometimes his Great Aunt would drive the SUV, rather than her Toyota Avalon, that was most likely parked in their three-car garage. The lawn, shrubs, and flowers were well tended, just as they always were every time he had visited. Delores enjoyed working in her yard, and her gardens. Her children, nieces and nephews, and on occasion, Raul, had been press ganged into assisting her. She always rewarded such labors with wonderful meals, and other culinary wonders made in her kitchen, often using food and spices grown in her gardens.

Raul fidgeted after he pressed the doorbell, he had not called ahead, his mother spotted him through a window, and exclaimed in wordless joy as she threw open the door and rushed to embrace him. Hearing the commotion, his brother and sister scrambled to discover what was the matter! Upon observing their mother and older brother on the front porch, they ran out to join them. His family embraced him enthusiastically. Great Aunt Delores also came out to observe his family’s joy. She stood back, more reserved than her niece and her niece’s children. Raul felt an affinity for her.

When Tia Delores discovered that Raul had left Manuel and Jacinthe Martinez in the cab of the truck, she chided him and insisted the teenagers come and join the family. At Raul’s urging, they finally cleared the porch, and at Delores’ urging they passed through a nearly immaculate sitting room, and into a rustic and homey kitchen; a Toby Keith song played quietly on the radio. Delores insisted that Raul, Manuel and Jacinthe must be hungry, and began efficiently preparing a breakfast suitable for hungry farmers, soldiers, or lumberjacks. Jacinthe attempted to assist, but Delores gently shooed her back to a seat in the large breakfast nook.

“I enjoy cooking. My children have their own children now, but they are babies, and eat Gerber’s. If you want, you can join me preparing lunch. You kids just came in from a long drive. Sit.” Delores said; Jacinthe seemed uncomfortable being waited upon.

Raul’s younger brother Romero asked, “Hey, where’s your Escalade? When did you get that truck?”

“Uh. That’s, um, kinda a long story.” Raul said; he got up and poured a cup of coffee, and fiddled with it a bit.

Penelope de la Cruz asked, “Why didn’t you call ahead? Why did you have us come here so suddenly, and in secret?”

“Yeah, it’s kinda cool, like a vacation, but Mother is making Isobel and I continue our classes online. So, it’s not like we are really getting out of school.” Romero said.

Raul said, “It’s very complicated. Some of what is really going on is unbelievable. Part of the reason that I asked you to visit Tia Delores with no notice is that Uncle Rodrigo is very angry with me. I failed to defend his property, his people. We should all be very careful. Although, it is my fault alone that he is angry with our family. Partially he is angry that I insisted that you flee Mexico immediately, and to not contact him.”

“What is Rodrigo d la Cruz involved in that caused such a situation! He promised me You would only work on Legitimate projects for him!” Raul’s Mother demanded.

Shaking his head, Raul replied, “I don’t think Uncle Rodrigo is involved with anything illegal. Well, at least not criminal. He is not in league with Narcos. Everything I have done for him is Legal. Not everything in the hacienda, he was having built, matches the official plans. That’s a security measure for him, and the rest of the family to protect against kidnappers, or other dangers.”

“Then why were you, and his stinking property attacked? What did the Narcos want, if it wasn’t Federales, although you said it was too dangerous to talk about on the phone.” His Mother asked.

Sighing before he spoke, Raul said, “I will show you. But it is almost as unbelievable as trying to tell you. Manny, please get out my computer. Mother, Aunt Delores, Romero, and Isobel you should all watch this. Please don’t say anything until after you have seen this video. Although, look away if you need to.”

With that ominous warning, Raul entered the password, and activated several programs on his computer, before inserting the thumb drive with one of his copies of the videos from the security system. He had the initial video he took with him when he fled, as well as downloads of the data and videos from the security system, until it finally went offline. He had also included some of the more distinctive videos other people had uploaded to the interweb. His sister soon looked away; all color drained from her face. Jacinthe too had to eventually look away.

The videos from Uncle Rodrigo’s security system were silent. Several of the videos were too. Suddenly horrific noises blared out of the speakers, and Raul had to hastily mute the sound system. The gruesome audio, along with the initial scenes of carnage caused his sixteen-year-old sister to burst out into tears. His mother comforted her, while she watched the various scenes, seemingly unable to turn away. Manuel and Jacinthe had seen most of these videos already, but studied them with care, despite evidencing slight tremors. Tia Delores watched the inconceivable with steely eyes; his brother Romero seemed enthralled.

When the last video ended, before Raul could speak, Romero exclaimed, “That’s Wicked! I’ve seen a couple of videos like these. Mostly they were supposedly shot near the Barranca del Cobre. I thought they were fakes. They keep taking them down. Madre Dios! I guess they are Real! Huh?”

“Very Real.” Raul said solemnly.

His mother, in a quite tone, with a shaking voice, said, “This? This is why you had us leave our home? Incur the wrath of Rodrigo de la Cruz?”

“I am concerned about what Uncle Rodrigo might do. He is angry at me, and I believe taking it out upon all of you. I fear the monsters, and the other invaders, but not because of their violence. I will get back to that. I fear that our government is incapable of an effective response. Also, what some elements of the government are capable of!” Raul stated firmly.

With seeming reluctance, Raul cued up another video. This one, unbeknownst to him, uploaded by Felix Carlito, exposing the wanton murder of Father Domingo. Several other videos, most shaky, provided evidence of the ensuing carnage. Mexican refugees slaughtered by the dozens, perhaps the hundreds. Others depicted the lawlessness and barbarity occurring in Cuauhtémoc. He also showed some videos of refugees in the capital city of Chihuahua, and elsewhere; including some from Televisa and Azteca Uno.

Raul said, his voice shaking, “Those are the things I am afraid of. Not the invaders, as a direct threat to us, my family. Our Reaction to this invasion. Not just the Mexican government, panicked refugees, or even the Gringos, I worry about how the whole world will react!”

“But. They are just ... Just silly creatures, like from a movie, with only clubs, and, uh, spears. The Federales have big guns! They fight gangs of Narcos, and win, sometimes at least. And the Army. They have Bigger Guns! And tanks, and planes and bombs, they will end this threat! Quickly!” His Mother exclaimed.

Somberly, Raul said, “No Mother. I am sorry. I don’t think so. The Federales are not prepared, they kill and wound many of the invaders. Until they run out of bullets. Then they flee, or are killed. The army soldiers are brave, but they are not prepared to fight tens of thousands, maybe Hundreds of Thousands of Invaders! We have No tanks. If the invaders just had swords, and spears, and clubs, I think maybe our army could win. Eventually. The problem is Power. Energy. These invaders came from somewhere. Not from underground, like in a movie. Somewhere ... Else. I don’t know where. I don’t know how. In whatever manner they got here, it must require a Lot of Energy!”

“Impossible! No! This will all be over soon. We should go home before looters steal everything!” His Mother demanded.

Raul simply said, “No Mother. I am the man of the family. Father would expect me to care for all of you. I am afraid that when the refugees start fleeing, the Gringos will close the Border! So too will the Guatemalans. Then the rest of the world will close their airports to Mexican airplanes. I expected it to happen before now. Somebody, not just our government, maybe the Gringos, maybe the international bankers some people have conspiracies about; are being quite efficient at limiting the spread of information. Whoever does not matter. They cannot prevent the spread of panic indefinitely.”

Raul paused, scratched his head for a moment, then said, “There are already rumors about what has happened to tourists in and around the Barranca del Cobre. Flights out of Mexico are getting more expensive, and difficult to book, I have been checking. Israel, Switzerland, the USA, and now France and England have placed tight restrictions in addition to the Travel Warnings most other nations have already issued. Several times I have warned Uncle Rodrigo to get out. To go to Europe, if he dislikes the Gringos so much. Discretely, I have advised some of my few friends to flee Mexico too.”

Senor de la Cruz, should we warn our Grandma to leave her home near Mazatlán?” Manuel Martinez asked.

Raul stammered, “I, uh. I’m not really sure. Where, uh, could she go? I thought that you felt she would not want to leave?”

Delores said, “she may come here. We have plenty of room. I share your concern about the ability of governments to deal with this matter swiftly, or for most people to act rationally. Ralph and I will pay for her ticket.”

“We couldn’t impose...” Manuel, Jacinthe, and Raul said simultaneously; then looked at each other.

Penelope de la Cruz, Raul’s Mother, in a plaintive tone said, “Raul, can’t you stop this? Warn somebody; the right people?”

“Mother, I can’t seem to convince my own Family! How could I possibly get anyone important in the government to take me seriously?” Raul complained.

Delores said, “You have convinced me young man. I had not seen the videos Romero had, only yours just now. Grandfather was in France in 1940, he was selling fighter planes to the French. No one thought it would be much different than the Great War. Suddenly, in a couple of days in May, it all came apart at the seams. Grandfather experienced quite an adventure getting out. Here is my phone; you two call your Grandmother immediately. Have her pack the treasures she can’t live without, and any pets. I will send a Town Car for her; you can’t trust Uber. We will fly her out today if possible.”

Casern of the 25/a Batallon de Infanteria, (about 1 km south of Zona Militar 5/a) in the city of Chihuahua, Chihuahua state
0750 Hours (7:50 AM) ZPT (Zona Pacifico) Tuesday March 27th 2018

(dialogue is spoken in Spanish, but written in English; some Spanish in italics)

{ZPT Zona Pacifico for most of the year is equivalent to “Mountain Time” in the USA (and Canada), however, in 2007 the US Congress extended Daylight Savings Time to begin on the 2nd Sunday in March. The Mexican Congress refused to change, so in Mexico DST begins on the 1st Sunday in April. Against the dictates of the Mexican Congress, many parts of northern Chihuahua follow the USA standard (syncing with El Paso, TX and other areas on MDT = Mountain Daylight Time. This will have bearing on events over the next couple of chapters because the characters at Cannon AFB initially presume that they and the Mexican Army are both operating at GZT/UTC -7 [Greenwich/Zulu Time aka “Coordinated Universal Time”]. The Yankees presume that Local time is the same; it is 0850 Hours at Cannon AFB.}

Teniente Coronel de Ribera received the report from his Executive Officer. Confirming what he had been told at zero six hundred hours that the soldiers of the 25/a Batallon de Infanteria mustered enough fit and qualified personnel to execute the plan he and his staff officers had prepared. Unfortunately, that plan had to be adapted to the fact, that like most regional separate Batallon de Infanteria, they could only field less than two-thirds of their authorized strength. One bit of good fortune was that they had nine soldiers, two Cabos, and a Sargento Segundo, supernumerary to the MTO&E they had drawn up. They would deploy as security for the Medical and logistics units attached from Zona Militar 5/a.

Muchachos! We are prepared, well armed and equipped. You have been briefed on our plan of action. The plan is merely a general course of action. Success in restoring safety and security to our citizens will depend upon your determination and discipline. Trust in your comrades, follow the orders of your officers to achieve victory. Our goals are limited, and achievable if every man does his duty. Good Luck, and Vaya con Dios!” Teniente Coronel de Ribera said.

At the colonel’s signal, the officers and NCOs led their men to their vehicles. As the soldiers began mounting the vehicles, vehicle commanders and drivers made final checks, then stowed the chock blocks once all of the soldiers were on board. Signalmen were checking in on the battalion radio net; unfortunately, their unit did not have a data net as a similar Gringo battalion would. Subteniente de Rosales was supervising the soldiers of the battalion who would be remaining in garrison, several of them were standing by the gate, to open it and block traffic, so that the convoy could depart unhindered.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close