Aztlán Portal - Cover

Aztlán Portal

Copyright© 2021 by Paladin_HGWT

Chapter 2: Disbelief

Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico, two kilometers south of the US Port of Entry to El Paso, Texas
Just before Dawn Friday March 16th 2018

(dialogue is spoken in Spanish, but written in English; some Spanish in italics)

As they approached the Bridge of the Americas border crossing, Raul said, “you both speak English, as I recall?”

Si Señor de la Cruz. I mean, yes Sir, we both speak English.” Manuel replied, his sister Jacinthe affirmed she did too.

Raul asked, “Do either of you have a passport? On you?”

“No sir.” Both of them said in unison.

Raul sighed, then said, “You saw, those ... creatures. What do you think they are?”

“I don’t know Señor de la Cruz, something out of a movie, but real. I saw one of them ea ... attack Señora Flores.”

“I-I, think they are demonios! Demons! Sent by El Diablo!” Jacinthe exclaimed.

Raul nodded his head, and said, “yes, those monsters are something not from here. So powerful as to be able to come to our world, I don’t think it would be safe for me to go home to Durango, nor for you to go back to your home. I have told my mother to take my brother and sister, and flee to the USA. In the morning I will talk to my uncle and urge him to do the same. I do not think you should remain in Mexico. You should join me in the USA.”

“How Señor, we have no passports, no money for the Coyotes, not to mention they are not safe.” Manuel said, glancing at Jacinthe.

Raul looked Manuel in the eyes and said, “I want you to go the Yankees and tell them that someone tried to abduct your sister for human trafficking. Demand the Yankees give both of you Asylum! Whatever you do don’t tell anyone about what happened at my Uncle’s hacienda. Not anyone! Unless I personally tell you to. Do you Understand?”

Si Señor de la Cruz. I mean, yes Sir.” Manuel said, his sister Jacinthe nodded vigorously.

Raul placed his hand upon Manuel’s shoulder, and said, “If you keep Faith with me, I will help you. I will provide you employment, and I will send a lawyer to help you with La Migra. Your names are Manuel and Jacinthe Martinez?”

“Yes Sir, Mister de la Cruz. We. I am very afraid.” Manuel said.

Si Mister de la Cruz, I too am afraid. But I trust you. I have Faith.” Jacinthe vowed.

Raul gave Manuel five thousand Pesos, two hundred US dollars, in twenties, and a slip of paper, and said, “Don’t tell anyone about this unless you have to. This is a phone number where you can reach me. Do what I have told you. Walk directly to the US ICE, and tell them you are escaped victims of human trafficking. It is not a lie. I fear what is happening to the people we left behind. If the Gringos hassle you, start crying, demand a Lawyer. Comprehend?”

“Yes Sir!” Both of the teenagers agreed.

As he pulled over to the side of the freeway to let them out, Raul said, “if anyone asks you were hitchhiking, and you got a ride here from a Stranger. Say as little as possible to the Gringos. Demand a Lawyer.”

As they climbed out of his luxury Cadillac Escalade SUV, both kids thanked him profusely and claimed they would do exactly what he had told them to do. They would keep the faith. As Raul reentered the stream of traffic, he hoped that ICE had not noticed his vehicle letting out Manuel and Jacinthe, and wouldn’t ask any awkward questions. Fortunately, he kept a spare copy of his passport in his vehicle, and in any case, he had an enhanced driver’s license, issued by the State of Texas. Although the custom Cadillac Escalade was a ‘gift’ from his uncle, all the paperwork was in his name. He had no luggage, just his leather jacket and a dirty shirt; if they didn’t examine it too closely, the zippered duffle in the back cargo area containing emergency supplies could pass for a travel kit. If they found what was in the secret compartments, he would need a good attorney!

Despite the early hour, traffic was already backed up more than half a kilometer. Quarter mile, he needed to start thinking like a Gringo. Since the commercial vehicle inspection lanes would not open until six A.M., there was a long line of tractor-trailer rigs parked off to the side; and others merging through the traffic. Raul realized he was sweating copiously, so he turned on the air conditioner in an effort to not appear suspicious. The ICE computers should show that he travelled to the USA multiple times a year, mostly for business. Other than a couple of speeding tickets, he had never had any trouble with the authorities. While idling, waiting for the vehicles ahead to move, he moved his Texas A&M Alumni card so it would be displayed prominently when he showed the inspector his driver’s license; he just hoped they weren’t a UT ‘Longhorn’.

When he was two cars back, he shut off the AC, but he was still very nervous, so when he lowered the window to talk to the ICE agent, he asked, “Pardon me ma’am, have you heard anything on the radio about the natural disaster near Cuauhtémoc? I have a business meeting up in Las Cruces, but I am concerned about some family living near there.”

“I am sorry sir, I have not. Passport?” The ICE agent said.

“I have a passport too, but isn’t my enhanced driver’s license sufficient?” Raul said, displaying it, and his Texas A&M ID.

The ICE agent checked his ID, then said, “Purpose of visit? You said business?”

“Yes ma’am, I am here on business.”

“Anything to declare?”

“No ma’am.”

“Any firearms in the vehicle?”

“No ma’am.” Raul said, acutely aware of the stink of his sweat.

The ICE agent studied her monitor, then glanced at Raul and said, “Welcome to the USA Mister de la Cruz. And I hope your family members are okay.”

“Gracias.” He said as he drove off.

He drove a couple of miles before exiting the freeway and stopping at a Flying J truck stop. After topping off his fuel tank, he parked to use the men’s room. Purchased a coffee and a breakfast burrito and a hash brown patty. Next, he then made a reservation at the Hotel Encanto de Las Cruces, with an early check in. He entered the location in his GPS, and also found a Walmart that was convenient. It was too early to try to call any of the attorneys he or his uncle used in the USA. So, he got back in his SUV, with miles to go until he could sleep.

Las Cruces, New Mexico
7:30 A.M. (MDT) Friday March 16th 2018

Raul checked in at the Hotel Encanto de Las Cruces, grateful that they had a room already available for him, even if he would be paying nearly as much as if he had stayed the night. Having prepaid through Monday night, he felt as if he could sleep until then. He tipped the bellhop five bucks for taking his bags from his vehicle to the room he would be staying in. On the way to the hotel, he had stopped at a Walmart and purchased some clothing, toiletries, and other sundries, and some luggage to put them in. He hoped he had remembered to remove all of the tags.

Before he unpacked his bags, he parked his Escalade where he could see it from his room. The phone number he had given to the Martinez’s was to a ‘burner’ phone, so he brought it in and plugged it in to ensure it was fully charged. Next, he called the office of a prominent attorney in El Paso his uncle and he had on retainer for various business issues. He only told the receptionist that the matter was urgent, and would Mister Bianco please return his call as soon as was convenient. Exhausted, he stripped off his clothes, and eagerly got into the shower, he needed to wash the stink of stale sweat off.

Less than fifteen minutes later he heard his phone ringing. Raul stumbled out of the shower and scrambled for his phone. He answered on the fourth ring, standing naked in his hotel room, dripping water on the carpet. Mister Bianco was returning his call just a few minutes after eight. Raul told him that two employees of his Uncle Rodrigo were the victims of attempted human trafficking; they were at the BotA (Bridge of the Americas) border crossing, and needed legal representation. Raul advised him that he was in Las Cruces for business, and would make himself available if they needed a temporary guardian. He specified that the teens would likely be in danger if they had to return to Mexico.

Mister Bianco asked a few questions, then advised him that he would personally call ICE, as well as send an Associate down to pick them it if they could get an expedited hearing, which was likely due to the circumstances. When Raul inquired about how much this would cost, Mister Bianco said that if everything was as straight forward as he believed it would be, his firm would do this Pro Bono. If it turned out to be more complex, he would recommend an attorney who specialized in immigration issues; not something their firm normally engaged in.

All the local lawyers who specialized in immigration law were swamped. Fortunately, Mister Bianco knew some lawyers who worked for ICE, all of them loathed human traffickers, especially of children, so he thought he could expedite the Martinez’s release. However, they would likely have to see an immigration judge, and also be interviewed by law enforcement officers. Raul thanked Mister Bianco for his quick response, and generous offer of assistance.

Belatedly he toweled off, and turned on the TV and surfed the channels searching for any news about the extraordinary events in the vicinity of Nonoava. There was not even a hint of what he had witnessed on Televisa or Azteca Uno, let alone CNN or Fox News. It would be foolish to have tried to sneak his M4 carbine into his hotel room. However, in addition to the pistol in a holster on his body armor, he had two other pistols in hidden compartments in his SUV. He chose the compact SIG P229 DAK in .40 S&W, carried in an ambidextrous paddle holster; which he concealed under his pillow.

Raul was lost in a smothering fog; something was trying to...

He woke from a nightmare bathed in sweat. His phone was ringing incessantly. It was the Associate attorney Mister Bianco had sent to attend to Manuel and Jacinthe Martinez. They would be released before three P.M. if he could get to the ICE detention facility in El Paso. Raul glanced at the clock and noticed it was just after noon, so he had a bit more than two hours. Absently he thanked the attorney and hung up. He took another shower to wash off the fear, and felt a bit invigorated. The cup of terrible coffee from the in-room coffee maker did little to clear the cobwebs.

He put on some of his new clothes, wishing he had access to his wardrobe back home. Resigned, to many things, he walked to the lobby to ask where he could get a good cup of coffee anywhere between here and El Paso. He also requested that housekeeping change the sheets, and provide him some fresh towels as well. He wondered if he looked as bad as he felt. He also tried to book the adjoining room until Tuesday morning as well. That was not possible, but the assistant manager offered to move him to another room, that did have an adjacent room available. Raul asked if they could move his luggage as well, and asked the manager to pass on a ten-dollar tip to whoever did it.

He went back to the room he was vacating, grabbed the burner phone and his pistol, and made sure everything else was packed into his new luggage; the dirty clothes he placed in a laundry bag. He then left the room key on the desk and headed to his SUV, donning his sunglasses to conceal the dark rings under his eyes. The assistant manager at the Hotel Encanto had recommended a nearby bakery that served him a decent cup of Mexican style Café de olla. He also purchased a couple of pastries for the sugar rush; and a second cup of Café de olla for the road.

Twenty kilometers northwest of Nonoava, Chihuahua, Mexico (65 km east of the Barranca del Cobre)
Around Noon Friday March 16th 2018

While a new vanguard force commanded by Tacticus Hoth, headed along the paved road leading away from the recently captured town, Mugh led a reduced section of scouts across the ridges parallel to the primary route of march. Meanwhile, Drax Ulrich continued to consolidate the prisoners and other loot that had been seized. Desportes Lazula joined the Drax and several Magisters who were inspecting a plethora of enchanted items. It was puzzling that beings lavishly equipped with such items were not more numerous. Yet that was the way of incursions, many questions, and few answers.

At the manor house a small number of guards, despite being caught unawares, and fighting in a disorganized manner had inflicted significant casualties. However, a much greater number of peasants, some of whom also possessed some magical weapons, had not fought back nearly as effectively. Several hours ago, some guards in self-propelled metal chariots had arrived and skirmished with the vanguard using their disturbingly common magic weapons. None-the-less, they had been killed or driven off. Desportes Lazula sent for some of the smaller mobile siege weapons, both stone throwers and bolt throwers.

The self-propelled metal chariots were only lightly armored. Although neither archers nor crossbowmen had been able to harm the occupants, some of the crossbows were able to puncture the outer skin of armor, even if they did not penetrate all the way. Perhaps the bolt throwers could punch deep enough to kill the occupants when more arrived, as seemed likely. At least the siege weapons would be able to shoot as far as the Prey’s magic weapons. Desportes Lazula also ordered more archers and crossbowmen to pass through the portal, although outranged by the magic weapons, if maneuvered wisely, they could be effective against the mostly unarmored Prey.

Several of the warriors amongst the prey wore armor impervious to any weapon, however, taken by surprise they had no helmets, nor protection for their arms, legs, or groins. Curiously, no helms or other armor had been found in the manor house. Only a single bed, a few personal items, and some unfathomable items on a several tables had been discovered. It was not just unfurnished; it was obviously incomplete. It was good fortune that it was incomplete and under garrisoned, otherwise it would have been a formidable obstacle.

Artificers were setting up some bolt throwers around the captured manor house. The first engines had been set up to protect the Portal. More cavalry had also been brought through to more aggressively pursue the prey who fled better than they fought. Several of those with the gift for tongues had been able to establish basic communication with the Prey. The problem was that it was not the words, but the concepts that were difficult to comprehend. Magisters were now cooperating with them in an effort to understand the bounty of enchanted items that had been seized.

Mugh was the first to notice an unusual noise that was coming from the sky in the direction the Sun comes up. ‘Wop-Wop-Wop’ He ordered the other scouts to conceal themselves along the crest of the ridgeline. The vanguard continued marching on, some of the horde craned their necks, trying to locate the source of the unusual racket. The troop leaders drove their troops on relentlessly, now was the time to exploit the Prey’s disorganization; not the time to lollygag! The clatter rapidly became louder, and Mugh spotted a glint, similar to sun upon water, up in the sky. It was an unidentifiable creature with no wings, but a long tail. The creature swept down and buzzed the column of troops, causing them to scatter in panic.

A few archers took futile shots at the flying creature, most missed, but even the few shots that hit, bounced off its thick hide. Drax Ulrich ordered some of the nearby guards to drive a bunch of the low value prisoners out into the open, but forbid any archers or crossbowmen from firing, and instead ordered them to scatter and hide. The creature turned its nose and bulbous eyes upon the frantic Prey who were waving at and yelling to the flying creature. When it came closer the Drax ordered the bolt throwers to fire a volley. Most missed, just a single bolt protruded from the creature’s belly; yet it seemed unaffected.

Several bolts and stones had passed close by the creature, causing some strange noises, and a flash of sparks! Drax Ulrich urged the Artificers to reload as rapidly as possible while the flying creature reared and bucked like a stallion. It turned in a broad circle in the sky above the manor house, turning back toward the direction that it had come. The creature was heeled over, just like a sailboat tacking sharply. Before it righted itself several of the siege engines fired again. Suddenly, the creature flew directly into a ridgeline and exploded!

The creature burned as if it was filled with Dragon’s Fire! Why it had not used its fiery breath upon its tormentors was unknown. The fire spread several hundred paces across the ridgeline where it landed. Why it had done so was unclear. Despite the single wound, the creature had not appeared to be seriously injured. Several of the bravest warriors tried to get close, but were kept back by the intense heat. Troop leaders soon snapped out of it, and redoubled their efforts to drive the warriors up the road.

Las Cruces, New Mexico
5:30 P.M. Friday March 16th 2018

Raul thanked Marie Schlag, and shook her hand, the young Associate Attorney had facilitated the release of Manuel and Jacinthe. As soon as possible, they left El Paso. On the way back to the Hotel Encanto de Las Cruces, they stopped at a Walmart, where he purchased some clothes and other necessities for the teenagers. They also picked up a cooler some drinks and snacks, since such things cost much more at the hotel. They checked into their rooms, and while Jacinthe took a shower, Raul parked the Escalade where he could see it from his new room. He made a reservation at the restaurant, then both he and Manuel took showers in their respective rooms. The kids were grateful to be clean and out of custody. All three of them were nearly asleep on their feet.

None of them had slept more than three hours in the last thirty-six, so after dinner they decided to go sleep early, and wake the next day. Before turning in, Raul scanned a variety of channels; he paused to watch a story on Televisa. According to the news report a Mexican Police helicopter had been shot down by narco-terrorists west of Chihuahua. There were also reports that several Rurales and Federales had been killed or wounded in escalating violence. Such reports were all too common all of Raul’s life. There were no details. Nothing that indicated that the reports were connected to what occurred at his uncle’s hacienda.

Leaving the TV on, Raul checked several internet sites on his phone. He could not discover anything definitive about what he speculated might be occurring in the vicinity of the Barranca del Cobre, other than a few mentions of a greenish glow, that one site said resembled the Aurora Borealis. As he anticipated the site with the live feed from his uncle’s hacienda was down. Belatedly he called his uncle, but it went straight to voicemail. Raul left a brief message. Frustrated, he wrote a note to himself to buy a computer tomorrow. He knew he was forgetting something urgent, but he fell asleep before he could recall what it might be.

Centro de Justica in the city of Chihuahua, Chihuahua state
9:15 A.M. ZPT (Zona Pacifico) Monday March 19th 2018

(dialogue spoken in Spanish, but written in English; some Spanish in italics)

Policia Sargento Primero Gonzales of the Gendarmería division of the Policia Federal commonly called the Federales, had to ask directions to find the office he needed to report to. Despite his starched, sharply creased blue fatigues, he was the proverbial turd in the punchbowl here at the nearly new Centro de Justica building. Not because he was a Gendarmería, but because of his duty to report the facts to his superiors. He had a butterfly bandage on his right cheek, and a dressing covering his right ear, his uniform concealed several other bandages. Although he was certain of the reaction to what he would report, he maintained a stoic visage.

Sub Official Lopez was the senior officer of the Policia Federal in the town of Gran Morelos, he was a member of the Division de Seguridad Regional, thus it was his responsibility to bring to the attention of his superiors what was occurring less than seventy kilometers (or forty miles) from the State Capitol. He was friendly, but could not count himself a Friend of Rafael Gonzales, the tough former paratrooper, who had transferred from the Army to the Gendarmería. Lopez respected the professionalism and integrity of the Sargento. More importantly, over the last year Lopez and Gonzales had earned each other’s trust. Trust was a rare commodity in the conflict against the Narco-Terrorist Cartels.

Sargento Gonzales’ battered Ford F-150 king cab pickup truck was parked in the Federales underground garage. The multiple bullet holes were old, but although it had dried to a reddish-brown, the blood in the bed, and on the fenders was comparatively fresh; so was some other unusual damage. The two officers had arrived at fifteen minutes before eight in the morning to ensure they would not inconvenience the regional officials whose assistance they desperately needed. They had been left standing in the hallway for more than an hour and a half. Sargento Gonzales stood at Parade Rest, while Sub Official Lopez had been fidgeting; although he had spent more than an hour last night ironing his uniform, and polishing his boots, he felt shabby compared to his companion.

Perhaps it was Russian collusion? Sub Inspector Damiano Garcia of the Division de Inteligencia of the Policia Federal doubted that hackers from the Sinaloa Cartel, or even Los Zetas could create these fake videos on YouTube and elsewhere on the web. He didn’t believe anyone in Mexico could have created these, there were so many small details, significantly different even from a Hollywood production. When he left early on Friday afternoon, he was aware that something unusual had occurred south of Gran Morelos, but nothing that appeared to be urgent, since the Cartels did not seem to be involved. He had arrived in his office early; as soon as he arrived, he heard rumors of something like the twelve-day Zapatista Uprising back in 1994; someone had shot down a Bell 206L helicopter! This was going to require a Lot of Paperwork!

Sub Inspector Garcia’s secretary had ushered the two waiting police officers into his office, then closed the door as she returned to her duties. Both officers snapped sharp salutes, then braced to attention when he gave a ‘fly swat’ response. There were no obvious deficiencies for which he could fault them. Of course, if he inspected closely, he would surely discover a blemish, but that would be petty, and unproductive. The endless paperwork would not diminish the longer he waited, so he might as well swallow the worm.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close