Aztlán Portal - Cover

Aztlán Portal

Copyright© 2021 by Paladin_HGWT

Chapter 1: The Portal Opens

NORAD North American Aerospace Defense Command, Peterson AFB, Colorado (near Colorado Springs)
“O-Dark-Thirty” Thursday March 15th 2018

NORAD was created in 1958 to detect, and coordinate the response to an attack by Soviet Bombers. By the mid 1970’s the focus was detecting the launch of nuclear tipped missiles from the Soviet Union. Monitoring nuclear tests; detonations of nuclear warheads, or missile tests, were added to the priority missions of NORAD. Communist China, North Korea, and the Islamist fanatics of Iran were added to the potential threats to North America, in particular USA; yet the Canadian armed forces are still an integral part of NORAD. Mexico has declined to join in the collective defense. The attacks on September 11th 2001 caused a reassessment of the manner that civilian aircraft would be monitored; but it did not fundamentally alter NORAD.

After the Soviet Union collapsed, and the threats posed by Iran or North Korea seemed minimal, the powers that be focused upon lesser concerns. Incursions into the USA by drug smugglers and lately, human traffickers, resulted in a decision to coordinate the monitoring of aircraft, and even illegal foot traffic into the USA. The United States Air Force did not want to bother with such trivialities; however, they were even more alarmed that some other entity might develop a rival monitoring capability. So, some equipment and personnel assigned to monitor them was shoe-horned into the margins of NORAD.

Right Field. Her duty reminded her of playing Right Field for the Peach County High School ‘Trojans’ Softball Team, the least important position on the field. Staff Sergeant Eileen Brussels had been reassigned from the 461st Air Control Wing based at Robbins AFB, Georgia. She was trained in Airborne Command and Control Battle Management Operations, and had served aboard an E-8 J-STARS (Joint Surveillance Target Attack Radar System). Now she was among the misfits performing a duty they were made to feel was a distraction from the real mission of NORAD.

Instead of doing what she had been trained to do, identifying potential threats in Afghanistan, Syria, or elsewhere, assisting soldiers and Marines on the ground, or providing targeting data for airstrikes, alongside her crewmates aboard an E-8; her duty now was to merely observe the Southwest border of the USA; advising ICE, US Border Patrol and DEA personnel of potential smugglers. Repeatedly it was emphasized that she should not initiate communications. Her duty was to sit, stare at her monitors, and stand by to respond to authorized requests. Such requests were rare, agents preferred to depend upon aerostats (small dirigibles or “blimps”) or RPAs (Remotely Piloted Aircraft or “Drones”) belonging to their own agencies; rather than have to deal with the persnickety technicians of the US Air Force.

THERMAL BLOOM! A quick glance confirmed there was nothing on the Big Screen, nor any other personnel demonstrating interest, let alone alarm. No transmissions from any of the stations she was tasked to assist. No indications of an inbound missile, or other significant threat. The Thermal Bloom was diminishing, although there were other anomalies. The location of the event was approximately ten kilometers east of Barranca del Cobre (Copper Canyon), the Mexican ‘Grand Canyon’ too far south to appear on most other screens. The data she was seeing was inconsistent, improbable, most likely a glitch. The rest of the command center was as quiet as it ever got; a quick glance confirmed that none of her few friends were nearby.

Eileen noticed a young RPA pilot, TDY (Temporary Duty assignment) to NORAD, was strolling nearby, a mug of coffee in his left hand, so she said, “Excuse me Sir.”

First Lieutenant Washington stepped up behind her, leaning over her right shoulder, so close his breath tickled her neck as he asked softly, “What do you want?”

Momentarily distracted, she hesitated before saying, “There seems to be some sort of anomaly on my display. It does not conform to any parameters. Also, I have run diagnostics, twice, and it does not seem to be a systems error.”

“Is that a Thermal Bloom!” Lieutenant Washington exclaimed, attracting the attention of numerous personnel in the bunker.

Eileen hedged, “Well, it seems to be an anomaly, it is depicted as a thermal bloom event on my monitor, however, it is inconsistent with either a launch signature, or a detonation.”

Lieutenant Washington said, “I’m new here, but shouldn’t you report a thermal bloom to CINCNORAD immediately?”

“Uh, I’ve been Order-- counseled to only respond to communications, not to initiate transmission for any reason,” Eileen said.

Lieutenant Washington said, “If that anomaly is a super sonic cruise missile with a nuclear warhead is inbound, you wasted our opportunity to respond.”

“Sir. If I thought that was a launch signature, I would have reported, no matter the consequences. I am notifying you, so that you might get a senior technician to determine what is causing this fault,” Eileen said.

Lieutenant Washington said, “Your data is synthesized. It has to be. You are getting too big a picture for this to be a single source. Can you display a real time image of this location?”

Sir, I am not authorized to do that. The anomaly is in the vicinity of Barranca del Cobre, Mexico, approximately three hundred miles south of Columbus, New Mexico. I am only authorized to monitor CONUS, unless specifically ordered otherwise.” Eileen explained.

Lieutenant Washington said, “Well then, Staff Sergeant Brussels, I am Ordering you, get me an actual image of ground zero of the thermal bloom.”

“What in Tarnation! Loo-ten-ant, have You Lost yer ever lov’n Mind? You cain’t order a Re-tasking of any National Technical Assets!” Major Bradley exclaimed.

Lieutenant Washington said, “Sir, there is a Thermal Bloom—”

“Why in the Wide-Wide-World of Sports are you bother’n bout som’then down in Mex’co?” Major Bradley said.

Lieutenant Washington said, “Excuse me Sir. The sergeant notified me of a thermal bloom, and informed me that a standard diagnostics check did not indicate a malfunction, nor is the data consistent with parameters requiring a mandatory alert, she properly notified an officer about this anomaly.”

Major Bradley growled, “What? Mandatory Alert? Lieutenant, y’all seriously believe that Mexico is Capable of Nuking Us?”

“Excuse me Major, Lieutenant, I need to access that terminal. Immediately. Colonel Strickland’s orders,” Master Sergeant Cooper said. As he bent down, he said quietly, “What’s the situation, Sprout?”

Eileen flashed a smile, before whispering, “I don’t think whatever is causing the anomalous data is in this terminal. I ran the diagnostics tests before I got Lieutenant Washington’s attention.”

“Time for an old man to earn the big bucks Uncle Sugar pays me,” said Master Sergeant Cooper, before cracking his knuckles.

The veteran Master Sergeant was a minor legend for his abilities to trouble shoot issues with the terminals throughout the complex. While there were multiple redundancies built into the system, no reasonable person felt comfortable when any of the terminals presented questionable data. Actual malfunctions were an even greater concern. Unlike numerous movies and books, bad data, even from multiple systems would not result in an ‘accidental’ nuclear war. There were other facilities that could confirm, or deny potentially erroneous data. Still, it was vital to keep all the redundant systems functioning at peak performance. Master Sergeant Cooper was one of the most trusted individuals who performed those duties.

“What. Have. You. Done. Now. Airman Brussels?” Lieutenant Colonel Wang bit out.

Lieutenant Washington said, “Ma’am, the Staff Sergeant detected a Thermal Bloom—”

“Lieutenant, did you fall and injure your Head, or your arm?” Lieutenant Colonel Wang said with a sneer.

“Airman Brussels, is this Charlie Foxtrot due to one of the Assets you are Supposed to be supporting contacting you with a request for assistance?” Lieutenant Colonel Wang said.

“No Ma’am.” Eileen said.

“Did you forget previous counseling sessions about causing disruption in the Control Center?” Lieutenant Colonel Wang said.

“No Ma’am.” Eileen said.

“Ma’am, there is no fault I can detect with this terminal. Staff Sergeant Brussels is performing her duties in accordance with SOP. Staff Sergeant Brussels is required to report an incident such as a Thermal Bloom with the signature of a three Megaton Detonation. The Sergeant notified Lieutenant Washington. According to SOP Sergeant Brussels does not have the discretion to ignore such data. Her conduct and competence have been exemplary since she has been assigned to these duties. I will put that in writing if necessary.” Master Sergeant Cooper said.

“Brussels, report to my office as soon as you are off duty.” Colonel Wang said, then stormed off; Major Bradley in her wake.

Master Sergeant Cooper glanced at Lieutenant Washington, before placing his hand on Eileen’s shoulder, and quietly telling her, “Hey Sprout, if Colonel Wang tries to reduce you in rank, do not sign any paperwork. Under Non-Judicial Punishment, you have the right for a Senior NCO to be present, request me. It is a bit unusual, but I can swing it, if you request it.”

“I don’t want to drag you into this. This is my problem,” Eileen said.

Master Sergeant Cooper said. “Serving in NORAD is not the same as being a member of an Aircrew. None-the-less, senior NCOs are responsible to mentor junior NCOs, that is not always done well. Your performance is good, so perhaps that’s why you haven’t received the mentoring you should. Colonel Wang is a competent and dedicated, it is not you, rather she perceives a misallocation of resources that I believe offends her. The data on your terminal is extremely disturbing, worse it is not explicable. I won’t allow your career to be a casualty of unpleasant information. It is our duty to bring potentially civilization ending information to the attention of the Chain of Command. Hesitation to report unpalatable information is unacceptable. Besides, I already have my twenty-year letter.”

“Pardon me Sergeants, would you explain what might be causing this data?” Lieutenant Washington asked.

Master Sergeant Cooper said, “Sir, I’m neither a physicist, nor a geologist. Perhaps it could be caused by a volcano or similar geological event? I don’t know. I figure even subject matter experts would want to see the raw feed, not this synthesized data.”

“Sorry Sir, I trained to provide targeting data for airstrikes or ground combat operations, and to identify friendly personnel. I only know enough about the equipment to do my duties. I am pretty sure that even the technicians who maintain the systems that provide data for my devices, would not know what is causing these readings. The signature seems to be diminishing; however, I don’t know why.” Eileen stated.

“Thank you.” Lieutenant Washington said, then he walked away.

Master Sergeant Cooper said quietly, “keep your chin up Sprout. This too shall pass.”

Hacienda Dos Manzano, five kilometers west of Nonoava, Chihuahua, Mexico (30 km east of the Barranca del Cobre)
About half an hour after Midnight Thursday March 15th 2018

Familia, nothing is more vital. In a dangerous world few people might be trusted, the bonds of blood are truer than most; still even among family, trust must be earned. Raul de la Cruz graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering from Texas A&M last Spring; Raul’s Uncle Rodrigo de la Cruz paid for his education. Supervising the implementation of security measures, as well as verifying other aspects of the construction of his Uncle’s new hacienda is the most important project he has been assigned so far.

Señor Rodrigo de la Cruz possesses significant business interests and political influence throughout the Mexican states of Durango and Chihuahua. Thus, he has many powerful and dangerous associates, as well as enemies of similar caliber. Raul is entrusted with overseeing the construction of this new estate for his uncle, in particular the security measures. The interior of the hacienda is unfinished; however, the bullet resistance triple pane glass is already installed in the windows.

To facilitate getting a good night’s sleep, Raul sleeps on a queen-sized bed, rather than a cot. Despite that luxury, something had woken him. An eerie greenish light from the west disturbed his sleep. First, he checked the interim security system, now he wanted to get an unfiltered view of the phenomenon. Raul walked onto the western plaza to observe the sickly greenish glow lighting up perhaps a quarter of the horizon. it reminded him of images he had seen of the Northern Lights.

At the far end of the plaza Raul spotted the glowing tip of a cigarette, he walked over and asked the guard with an M4 carbine, “Que pasa?”
(“What’s Happening?”)

No lo se Señor.” Jose replied.
(“I don’t know Sir.”)

Raul muttered, “quizas es la obra del diablo.”
(“perhaps it’s the work of the devil.”)

Debo despertar Señor Sanchez?” Jose asked.
(“Should I wake up Mister Sanchez?”)

Raul said, “eso no es necesario.”
(“that’s not necessary”)

Si Señor.” Jose replied.
(“Yes Sir.”)

Raul said, “cave Ides Martiae.”
(“beware the Ides of March” in Latin)

Que Señor?” Jose replied.
(“What, Sir?”)

Raul said, “No importa.”
(“it doesn’t matter”)

Raul went back inside; in the room he was using as a bedroom he turned on the clock radio. For several minutes he scanned the dial, but there was nothing on about the phenomena to the west. Not even on Red Eye radio. He chuckled as he thought that it was a pity that Art Bell had passed away. Certainly, there would have been something on his show about this. Probably the Gringos would have blamed aliens, or Chupacabra! He sighed, then went back to bed. Morning would come too soon, and there was much work to do.

Nineteen kilometers east of the Barranca del Cobre, Chihuahua, Mexico (1,000 meters west of the Hacienda Dos Manzano)
Dusk, the evening of Thursday March 15th 2018

Mugh is a veteran scout in the Horde of Desportes Lazula. This idyllic land forced him to remind himself to remain alert. Danger, death, could spring from any unknown source, for he was a stranger in a strange land. The terrain was ideal for scouts, not so great for an army. Steep and rugged slopes, intermittent vegetation, and winding draws and valleys made it easy for Mugh and his subordinates to move stealthily; yet quickly enough to stay ahead of the vanguard of the horde. The weather was perfect for campaigning, cool, but not cold, the ground was dry, but frequent creeks provided refreshing drinking water. Mugh’s eyes darted about, alert for potential ambushes, then complacency would again sneak up him.

Where was the Prey? Perhaps the opening of the Portal had panicked them? They had crossed two dirt roads, with unidentifiable tracks upon them. Mugh had observed some spoor, so obviously there were animals present, somewhere. Numerous stumps attested to the area having been logged, however, not in the last few years. For a rich land there were no farm fields, orchards, or herds. Curious. Why were there no settlements? There were no indications of war or other calamities having blighted such a rich land. Mugh could occasionally smell copper and other metals in the ground. Was this land so rich the inhabitants could ignore this wealth? If so, the Loot would be bountiful! Or, perhaps they were savages here with no comprehension of civilization?

Mugh’s nose twitched. Danger! He halted, turning to signal to his subordinates to freeze, to be alert, and silent. Two new additions to his section continued to chatter, he got their attention, making a gesture indicating he would slit their throats himself to ensure they remained quiet! Mugh could only hear branches shifting in the breeze, and insects; the scent was faint ... Smoke! Not the odor of woodsmoke, nor the sizzle of fat as meat cooked, there was an unfamiliar tang to this smoke. It was that unusual tang that caused a mere whiff of smoke to bring him to alertness. He was nearly certain that it was a small amount of smoke nearby, not the tendrils of a larger fire some distance away. Caution was warranted.

He signaled to the other scouts to remain stationary, silent, and alert. Then he gestured to Gorlap to follow him, but to remain a bit back. Mugh could see well in the darkness, with the light from the extraordinarily large moon, he could see almost as well as if it were a cloudy day. Mugh examined the ground, he did not detect any tracks. So, he moved forward cautiously, edging to the left to gain better concealment in the vegetation there. He placed his feet carefully to avoid snapping any twigs, or rustling any vegetation.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close