A Ten Pound Bag - Cover

A Ten Pound Bag

Copyright© 2020 by Emmeran

Chapter 170: Practicing the Hangover again

Editor:nnpdad 28 June 2021

Damn it I know better than to get drunk on rum.

Too damn much sugar, you mix that with alcohol and good luck the next morning; pain is definitely in your future.

I rolled out of bed seeking water, coffee and anything else that would kill this hangover. For the first time in a very long time I fired up the camper stove and got my coffee and some sausage links going. I did have a very small and private stash of food just for myself, it wasn’t much but it’s what I needed at the moment. The sausage was frozen but I solved that quickly with a hot water bath while I showered; by the time I was out of the shower the links were defrosted and ready to cook.

I did venture out into the sunlight long enough to grab some bread and a few eggs, I was sure I’d catch hell about the eggs later but for now I didn’t care. Truth be told, those were the hens I brought here anyway so those were my eggs. Hangovers like this allowed for a little selfishness; it wasn’t optimal behavior but I did get to take advantage once in a while.

I also dosed myself with a couple of pain pills, they were just acetaminophen but even that was in short supply until we had more willow trees. Basically I was flat out selfish and long term inconsiderate. At the same time I was getting to be myself and be by myself.

So I made myself a breakfast and browsed the archive; the coffee was nice and the peace and quiet even better. I still felt like shit from the hangover but all things considered it could have been worse; I did get to be alone for a while.

The door did try to open once and I merely stated in a very loud voice, “It’d better be an emergency!” The door closed right up at that and I was left alone to relax and enjoy my messy breakfast glory. I also had a chance to reflect on the fact that I’d only been here for about four months and on all the events that had occurred during that time. Four months seemed like a lifetime at this juncture yet I also knew that this would eventually all fade into memory, yet at this moment everything remained immediate.

Immediately in my focus of attention was still a hang-over of my own creation and the obvious solution was simple sleep. A savory and filling breakfast was enough to bring on the lulls and I was curled up on the bed shortly thereafter. Nothing ever truly cured a hangover like a full belly and a good nap.


It wasn’t the dreamless sleep of drunkenness though, colorful dreams of many sorts ran through my mind during my mid-morning slumber. The last and best dream was beautiful Mouse slipping into my bed and into my arms. The joyful part was slowly waking up to find that wasn’t merely a dream, my beautiful maiden had joined me in my late morning nap and I woke up to find a bit of my delight in my arms.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close