Family Ties - Cover

Family Ties

Copyright© 2020 by Lumpy

Chapter 14

Taylor was focused as they drove. Since the last thing he wanted was to get pulled over and have a patrol officer look at the tied up guy in the back of the van, Taylor obeyed every traffic law, while still weaving through traffic to make up every second he could.

“So, what’s this additional security you set up?” Taylor asked, not taking his eyes off the road.

“A small fireproof safe that I bolted to the floor of the storage room. It’ll lose me my deposit, but they’ll either have to cut out a section of cement or cut into the safe to get the bolts out. Since they can’t take it with them, at least easily, they’ll need to cut into the safe there. While that’s not such a big deal, it seems unlikely Graf just has the stuff needed for that in his car. He’ll have to send someone out for it, and that’ll take some time.”

“We’re not that far behind him. Maybe five minutes, which means he’s just getting there now. He’ll either have to break in or badge the attendant and bluff his way in without a warrant. Either way, it’ll slow him down a little bit. Unless we hit traffic or something, we should show up not long after he gets into the locker.”

“Jesus, why didn’t you say ‘this is my last job before I retire’ while you’re at it. You can’t just say ‘unless we hit bad traffic.’”

Whitaker rolled her eyes but recognized his joking was a way to blow off some tension. Taylor’s shoulders were hunched, and he was sweating from the pain in his hand, which was steadily getting to him. Once things got serious, he knew the adrenaline would push that to the side, but right now, in the van, his hand hurt like hell.

“We need Graf alive, if at all possible. If he dies, most of the answers die with him. Alive, we could get something else out of him, and we need everything we can get.”

“Agreed. I promise I won’t shoot him dead.”

They pulled into a parking lot several buildings down from the storage lot. Graf was the kind of guy to set up precautions, even if he thought Whitaker and Taylor were entirely out of commission. Taylor was nearly certain he’d have some guys outside the storage place, keeping an eye out.

From around a neighboring building, Taylor saw he was right. Two of the guys that had been with Graf, still in their tactical gear and fake patches, were in front of the two-story storage building. Unlike the other one that Whitaker had used, this one was more upscale. Instead of a fenced-in lot with doors that opened up to outside paved areas, here, all of the storage spaces were inside.

People who rented one could park by a freight elevator and used the provided dollies to wheel everything inside.

One guard was by the front door of the building, and the other was by the freight elevator.

“Where’s your storage unit?”

“About ten feet in front of the freight elevator on the second floor.”

“I’m not crazy about being caught inside an elevator while armed hostiles are mobile outside of it.”

“Agreed. We’ll go in the front door. There’s a stairwell on this end of the building.”

“Good. We still need to take out both these guys, though. We don’t want either one coming up behind us.”

“Quietly, though. We don’t want the real cops showing up too soon, or alert Graf. I’ll take the guy by the freight elevator and meet you by the front door.”

Taylor nodded and turned back to the van to get one last item. The good thing going for them was the way the building was shaped. The man by the elevator was essentially at the rear. Not only could the two men not see each other, but they also couldn’t see the approaches to each other either. Taking the men silently would have been a lot harder if they’d put just one more man out who was able to see the two sentries. The current set up meant that neither knew if the other was still standing.

The other thing they had going for them was where the building was located. It was currently in the middle of the day. The area they were in didn’t have a considerable amount of foot traffic, with most people going places by car. If they’d been closer to downtown, they’d have to worry about spectators calling the police. Taylor knew these guys weren’t cops, but to the casual observer, it would look like Taylor was assaulting a police officer. This was going to be hard enough without a helpful citizen trying to do his part.

The sentry at the front door had clearly never been military or even a police officer, Taylor was reasonably certain. As he approached the side of the storage building, the sentry never even looked in his direction. He was bored and just standing there, more than actually watching for any problems. If Taylor had to guess, he’d say this was just another criminal employed by Graf. The last set, at the other storage place, had been ex-military, but they’d been drummed out of their service. Years of extortion and brutality instead of training and focus had made this set the wrong kind of people for this type of operation. Which was fine with Taylor.

The main problem Taylor had was getting close enough to the guard to subdue him quietly. The guy was standing a foot or so from the front door, which precluded Taylor being able to sneak up on him. He might have been bored and not paying a lot of attention, but he’d notice if Taylor got close enough to make physical contact.

Which was why Taylor stopped at the van first. The guys had been fully outfitted to the same standards as Berlin’s normal TAC team, so they looked right from a distance. Taylor could figure out why. Graf didn’t want Taylor and Whitaker questioning what was happening until he had them cuffed and in a somewhat private location. A shootout in the heart of Berlin would have brought other cops, who almost certainly weren’t on the trust’s payroll, which would have then brought questions Graf wouldn’t have been prepared to answer.

What all this meant was they’d gotten more than a pistol and a few magazines when they’d disarmed their prisoner after putting him in the van. Taylor stood at the edge of the storage building and judged the distance. It was about fifty feet to the sentry, too long for what Taylor needed. That meant, subtlety was out the door.

Taylor burst out around the side of the building and charged the sentry, moving as fast as he could with his left arm extended. The sentry noticed him after the first ten feet and started to lift his rifle. It was still further than Taylor wanted, but he couldn’t wait any longer. Pulling the trigger on the Taser, Taylor sent two wires shooting out towards the man.

Since the man was in a vest and full kit, he had to aim low since the barbs wouldn’t have penetrated on the man’s torso. Thankfully his aim was on the mark, and both barbs impacted on the man’s thigh. As fifty thousand volts course into him, the sentry went ridge and toppled over. Taylor had been concerned he’d have his finger on the trigger, which would be bad considering the sudden muscle contractions. Thankfully, he hadn’t gotten that far, and his finger was still outside the trigger guard.

Taylor closed the ground, the button of the Taser depressed the whole way to make sure he didn’t have a chance to get up until Taylor reached him. Time was still of the essence, and Taylor didn’t have time to wrestle with him before getting the man secured. As soon as he was on top of the sentry, Taylor smashed the Taser into his face, and then a second time when he still seemed like he would be able to get up. The case of the plastic and metal weapon cracked, but the next step wouldn’t have to be quiet, so it didn’t matter.

The man’s body went slack. Taylor pulled the cuffs out of his belt and rolled him over, wrenching the unconscious man’s arms behind his back and snapping the cuffs on. He also took the man’s weapons for safety’s sake, figuring he could drop them inside somewhere.

A sound made Taylor whip around. Whitaker, who clearly made shorter work of her guy, came jogging around the corner.

“No problems?” Taylor asked.

“Nope. He won’t get up any time soon. Let’s get moving.”

With Whitaker’s help, they dragged the sentry from the front of the building around back, putting him with the man who’d been stationed by the elevator, to keep a random passerby from seeing the man and freeing him or calling the police.

That done, they circled back around and went in the front entry. Taylor had his borrowed pistol out in a single hand grip, his left hand still dangling at his side. Whitaker, who was in better shape to open doors, lead the way with her borrowed rifle. The stairwell was halfway into the building, down a long row of storage lockers.

They could hear Graf ranting in German before they got to the top of the stairs, clearly agitated about Whitaker’s surprise. As they got to the doorway at the top of the stairwell, Taylor and Whitaker paused, listening. Taylor only knew a smattering of German, but he recognized the word for phone and isn’t or doesn’t, along with Whitaker’s name.

Taylor guessed he’d tried to call his men and get the combination off Whitaker and was upset they weren’t answering. Taylor slowly pressed the push bar and opened the door, trying to peek into the hallway and get a picture of where everyone was.

For once, Taylor’s luck didn’t hold. One of the commands Graf was shouting out must have been for one of his guys to go back to the construction lot and find out why no one was answering because as Taylor peaked down the hall, he came face to face with one of the armed men.

Unfortunately for the other guy, Taylor had known they were there and had been prepared for something unexpected to happen, and had his weapon up. Graf’s man, on the other hand, had no idea there was anyone else in the building, and certainly wasn’t expecting an armed opponent. Taylor didn’t hesitate. Taking a split second to adjust his aim, targeting an area high on the chest above where the armored plate in the vest would be and fired.

For a brief moment, Taylor could see the man’s eyes widen before he dropped, twisting backward as he fell. Taylor had to hand it to Graf’s other men; they weren’t slouches, hardly hesitating before moving to cover and returning fire. Taylor barely had time to pull back into the small alcove created by the stairwell before hearing the whizz of bullets ricocheting off the cement and metal doors.

Taylor stepped back to let Whitaker have the corner. Since she was crouching tall, Taylor leaned against the opposing wall, still undercover, kneeling low.

Whitaker blind fired back a few rounds to make them pull back before she leaned out and started taking steady aimed shots.

“We are short on reloads.”

“Did you see how many of them there are?”

“I saw two others, but not Graf. Cover me.”

Whitaker started firing a steady stream towards Graf and his men as Taylor sat his gun down and crouch walked far enough to grab the guy he shot by the harness. Pulling hard, he managed to drag the man three-fourths of the way into the alcove.

Reaching into the web harness, he pulled out three magazines, plus a pistol and two more magazines the man had for that weapon.

“Here,” Taylor said, setting them all at her feet. “Keep them occupied, I’ll be back.”

“Where are you going?” she replied, surprised.

“To flank them.”

Before she could ask any more questions, Taylor was through the stairwell doors and taking the steps two at a time. He stopped to see how the guy they left tied up was doing. Confirming the man was still asleep, Taylor found where they’d tossed the weapons and, more importantly, ammunition he’d been carrying and exchanged his half-empty weapon for the sentry’s, along with an extra magazine.

That accomplished, Taylor dashed out the front door and around the rear of the building. As he passed the equally tied up rear sentry, he could hear Graf’s voice coming through the handheld radio. Taylor assumed he was telling his two men downstairs to come help.

Taylor ignored it and pushed the button for the elevator. While it was not a very big building, the freight elevator moved excruciatingly slowly. Taylor tapped his foot and waiting, hoping Whitaker would be okay. He didn’t want to abandon her, but he couldn’t see a way they could take out Graf and his men with the layout as it was. At least not without the strong chance of one of them being injured or killed in the process.

The elevator doors finally opened, and Taylor stepped inside, pressing the button to go back up. This would be the hardest part since Whitaker was firing directly towards the elevator doors. While Graf and his two men were inside of Whitaker’s storage locker, they would lean out to fire back at Whitaker. Considering she had to lean out, take her shots, and lean back quickly to keep from presenting a stationary target for the shooters, she didn’t have a lot of time to aim. Some of the bullets were going to go into the elevator, which meant Taylor couldn’t safely leave the elevator until the hostiles were taken care of.

Here he was, in precisely the position he hadn’t wanted to be in, trapped in an enclosed space with shooters outside of it. Of course, this way, he had Whitaker available to shoot anyone who tried to close in on the elevator, so he wasn’t completely vulnerable, but it still wasn’t exactly the position he wanted to end up in.

Taylor moved to the left side of the elevator, which put him on the same side as Graf and his men. He would have had a better shot at them from the right side, but then so would they at him. The elevator reached its floor, and the door slid open. Just as he predicted, Taylor heard the snap-crack sound of a bullet smashing into the back of the elevator. Luckily, the elevator was designed to handle large, unwieldy freight and was padded to protect it from customers damaging it. In this case, it protected Taylor from ricochets.

Taylor peeked out and saw Whitaker pull back into the alcove she was using as cover. The Germans seemed momentarily confused by that. When she pulled back, they were also taking cover from her shots, and neither had been firing at her. They probably thought she was reloading, but Taylor hoped it meant she realized he had circled around.

The Germans didn’t turn to look into the elevator. Graf yelled something in German in his direction, and the other two men leaned out and began firing in Whitaker’s direction, probably in hopes of keeping her pinned.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close