The Protector Chronicles - Redemption - Cover

The Protector Chronicles - Redemption

Copyright© 2013 by Misguided Child

Chapter 14: Debrief and Cruz

"Mr. Rizzo," Max said. "I've told you what happened and you know I wouldn't lie to you. It was like Jonas was talking to himself but he would get an answer and act on it. I know a lot of the rest could have been a scam but there was too much that couldn't be."

"Like what Max?" Tony asked doubtfully. "What couldn't have been part of a scam?"

"Well, like when he turned toward the runway. We didn't know which hanger the jet was in," Max told his boss. "He asked then just turned toward the runway and a minute later the jet came out and headed toward the other end of the runway. If Jonas had waited until we saw the jet we would have been too late. It would have got off the ground and they would have been gone. The only thing we could have done was try to shoot it down but Mrs. Connors and Pam would have been killed."

"You're sure that couldn't have been staged?" Tony asked.

Max shook his head and said, "I don't think there was any way to stage something like that sir. You would have needed to be there to understand. The way he drove to the airport was insane but he was acting like he was on a Sunday drive. He was running red lights and stop signs and it seemed like the traffic just opened in front of him. He even called Detective Jordan while we were driving over 100 MPH and asked him to ask the black and white on our tail to back off."

"Did they?" Tony asked surprised.

"Yes sir," Max said sounding just as surprised even though he had been there and experienced it. "He told Jordan what was going on while he was on the phone. Jordan dispatched cops to the airport but it went down so fast when we got there the black and white behind us didn't even have time to help." Max chuckled and with more than a little hysteria as he relived the ride and events with Jonas Gianni. "He even told Jordan that Joe told him to get a sturdier car next time because his Mercedes was going to get trashed. He asked Jordan if he had any suggestions."

"I don't know Max," Tony said doubtfully. "It could have started as a set up and got out of hand."

"No sir," Max disagreed vehemently. "No one takes bullets for someone else on a setup and I saw him dive in front of me when that cartel guy had me dead to rights. He didn't have to do that. Then after he gets all shot up he tried to protect me when he figured the jet would blow but he only tried after he knew Mary and Pam were safe. Mr. Rizzo, I don't know why the man isn't dead. Doctor Corwin said he's the luckiest man alive. I don't know if he is the luckiest man or the story about him working for, ah, Joe, um, God is true. The trouble is sir. If he is working for the Man upstairs, then what he said about Carlos Cruz is probably true too."

Tony nodded his head as he assimilated all that Max had told him. He absolutely trusted Max and knew the big man wouldn't lie to him but he also knew that anyone could be fooled. Still, if Max was right..."

"There's another thing I need to tell you Mr. Rizzo," Max said uncomfortably. Tony motioned for Max to continue and Max said, "I thought about staying with Jonas sir. He saved my life twice and he didn't need to. He shouldn't have because I could be a threat to him later. I didn't say anything to him but he seemed to know what I was thinking. He said it just wasn't my time and I needed to protect you. He said to bring Mary and Pam back here and keep all of you safe until this is taken care of. He asked Jordan for help if he needed it and Jordan agreed. He asked me to get any intelligence to him that we come up with because he's going after Carlos Cruz."

"I thought he could only go after guys that are harming innocents," Tony asked sarcastically.

"Detective Jordan asked him that too," Max said nodding his head. "Jonas said that it's open season on the Adversary's Agents."

Tony frowned and nodded his head. "Okay Max. Why don't we follow Mr. Gianni's advice for now? It can't hurt and it's what we would be doing anyway. Let Mary know that she will be staying here until further notice and advise her to talk to me if she has a problem with that. I want you to double the guards on the gates and walls. Get the word out to the street that we want to know if there is a whisper of Cartel Movement."

"Yes sir," Max said and turned toward the door.

"Oh Max, two more things," Tony said. Max turned back questioningly and Tony continued. Let Detective Bladen know we want him to stick close to his partner and Mr. Gianni too if possible." Max nodded. "And thank you for telling me the whole truth. I understand your loyalty towards Jonas. Almost anyone would feel the same way after someone risked their life to save yours. I just wanted you to know that I don't have a problem with you feeling that way."

"Thank you Mr. Rizzo," Max said sincerely and with more than a little relief before he left the room.


Carlos Cruz slid off the bed with a chuckle and put on some shorts that were lying on the floor. He left the young woman crying hysterically as her whole body trembled on the bed. She looked like she was in her late teens and possibly a college student. Her body twitched violently before it curled into a fetal position. Scratch marks could be seen on her sides and back that looked like a wild animal had savaged her and maybe one did.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close