Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 170: Remembrances 7--In the Country

About 5 months after the Kinmon no Hen. Winter, December. The year 1864 would be over in a few days.

(Iizuka, who is traveling around the country disguised as a medicine-peddler, sits talking with Kenshin amidst fields.)

Iizuka: August was the cavalry battle of four provinces. In October the purge of the popular movements began. We had barely evaded the first Bakufu suppression of Choushuu when rumors of the second reached us. Then on the 15th of this month, Takasugi got fed up and led the Kiheitai to take back the provincial government. Choushuu's in a state of utter chaos right now...

Kenshin: ... Is there any news from Katsura?

Iizuka: Not this time. Which is to say, we've never gotten any. No one know where he's gone. Since he's the only one that made it out of the Ikedaya Affair, people are calling him Run-Away Kogorou. Maybe it's true ... Maybe it's over for Choushuu, now, too...

Kenshin: That's not true. Takasugi will win. Katsura will come back. What about the capital?

Iizuka: Hm? Oh, it's terrible. It's completely under the Shinsengumi's control. Patriots are being hunted down every day by the packs of wolves in light blue coats. The Kyoto Mimawarigumi and other Bakufu groups are doing their best to outdo them. It's completely different from before--the city is running with blood. You should be careful, too.

Kenshin: Their first mission is to establish order in the city. Until they do that, they won't look out here. (thinking of the man with chain-swords) Now, the enemy most to be feared is one who exists in the shadows of the Bakufu. Someone who would never be recorded in history unless they were betrayed, someone like me, who might do anything...

Iizuka (getting up and shouldering his pack): All this bad news. It even gets me down. What about you? Why aren't you depressed?

Kenshin: It's thanks to you.

Iizuka: I didn't expect to find you so cheerful. You'd think you'd be bored, out here in the sticks, after being a Hitokiri...

Kenshin: ... It's not like that. I love kenjutsu, but I don't love killing. These five months have opened my eyes to any number of boring things.

(Iizuka walks off, past a group of peasants.)

Peasants: Oh, it's the medicine-seller. Laying in stock again? Must be tough coming all this way. Yeah, but they say in the capital that the ointment Kenshin makes works wonders on sword wounds.

(Kenshin walks home along the country lanes.)

Farmer: Ah, Kenshin, good to see you. My stomach's been upset since last night, so--

Kenshin: All right. I'll have to make up the medicine, so come by tomorrow to get it.

Woodcutter: Going to gather herbs again today? You work hard.

Kenshin: You too. Be careful out there in the mountains.

(At Kenshin's house, a group of kids are playing. Tomoe is rather listlessly playing ball with a girl.)

Kenshin: I'm home--

Kids (mobbing him): You're back! Where'd you go!

Kenshin: I just went out to gather some herbs. Did you play with Aunt Tomoe?

Kids: Uh-huh! But--

Girl: She's no fun at all.

(Another girl is standing back from the others.)

Kenshin (to the girl): What's wrong?

Girl: My dad said that there's something strange about you, so I shouldn't play with you. But my mom says you look out for everyone, so you're a good person.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close