Blind Sight - Cover

Blind Sight

Copyright© 2011 by vlfouquet

Chapter 6

Fantasy To Sciene Fiction

Cassie's life had existed as fantasy and now she was living a science fiction story. She still had her 'sight' or whatever it could be called. But now she had star wars also. She was now taking online courses to catch up on her education. The computer setup that her Dad had put in for her made this possible. She had ignored it, which was easy, since she could not read the screen. Now she was learning to really use it. She found that the stair exit from her study room had an electronic lock connected to her PC.

All she had to say was her name and tell it to open and the computer would do so. Outside that exit was a spiral ramp to the room beneath her rooms. There Dad had installed a complete gym, dojo and swimming pool. She had been using the swimming pool and Jacuzzi ever since she had gotten her 'sight'. She was a little leery of all the gym equipment though and had left it alone.

Cassie had caught conversation between her mother and dad every so often. Her mother had told her dad about that day in town when those two men had tried to steal her purse. Sarah had mentioned what the police officer had asked Cassie. There were also mentions of schools. Finally the consensus was that they needed to start thinking about Cassie's future.

George arranged a connection to an online education system to help Cassie get caught up with her former classmates. She spent at least four hours a day studying and taking tests.

The final addition to this prize package was an ancient Japanese gentleman. He looked about 150 years old. Cassie had really studied him when her dad introduced her. He was to be her Personal Trainer. Yeah, a twelve year old West Texas ranch brat was to have her own personal trainer.

"Just how rich are we Dad?" That was the first thing out of her mouth when dad introduced her to Sensei Inoue Shina. His look in response to that question was a firm rebuke. George realized that Cassie could not see his expression but his silence was even more effective. She never asked him that question in public again.

Mr. Inoue turned to Cassie and bowed with a nod of his head. She then looked him over good. He was only about five feet four inches tall. His hair was cut very short. A thorough examination of his body showed that he might be old but he was in great shape. She stood there while he held his bow, then it hit her. He was waiting for her to return the bow. She could see his calm face and relaxed stance. This man would hold that bow till the cows came home. She slowly turned in his direction and imitated his bow without thinking how this would expose her unusual awareness of her surroundings.

"I apologize for my impertinence Sensei Inoue. My humble self was taken by surprise." She startled herself with that sentence but from movies she had not 'seen' it seemed appropriate. Both of them came out of their bows at the same time. Her Dad, setting behind his desk, was looking her over with a strange expression on his face.

"Cassie if Sensei Inoue decides to take my offer of a position he will live in one of the guesthouses on the property. As your Personal Trainer he will teach you in martial arts, gymnastics, swimming, and as many other physical endeavors as he feels that you will be capable of learning. He understands that you have chores as well as school work that must be done."

"Sensei how soon will you be able to make your decision?"

"I would like to commune with your daughter for one of her normal days. Would that be all right?"

Cassie was amazed that he spoke better English then she did. He must have noticed her expression. He turned to her and smiled. "I was born in Alameda County, California."

Cassie felt herself blushing.

"I have finished my chores for the day and was planning on doing some school work. Do you wish to join me now?"

"With yours and your father's permission I would be pleased to join you." He answered.

"I think that will work out. Cassie he will be a guest for the next day or so. Show him to a guest room first."

Cassie turned and began her routine tap, tap, tapping; he followed her from her Dad's office.

They went first to the second staircase that led to the upstairs extra bedrooms. None of the rooms in this part of the upstairs were used at this time. Her Parents rooms were down a hallway at the top of the other staircase while her room was straight forward from the main staircase.

Cassie led Sensei Inoue to the first bedroom off the staircase. "I hope this room will be okay? If not all the bedrooms up here are available."

"This looks fine Ms. Howard. I will bring my bags up here when we finish."

"Then Sensei, please follow me."

Cassie led him back down stair, there being no connection to the upstairs area on the other side of the house.

Once back downstairs she led him to the downstairs entrance to the gym and dojo area. They walked through it and she observed as he examined the equipment. He looked the whirlpool and Jacuzzi area over closely. Then in the dojo he kneeled to exam the workout pads on the floor. Next he opened the cabinets where supplies could be stored but which were empty at the present time.

"No gi?"

"Gi?" she returned.

"Work out uniforms?" He explained.

"Oh, no Dad said never try to anticipate an expert in what tools to use, so if you take the position you will decide and order for us."

"Everything is very good. Top line equipment. Now your school work." He turned to head out of the gym area.

"This way sir." She said.

Then she turned to head for a door in the corner. Opening the door, she waited for him to catch up. As he closed the door she turned and began the walk up the spiraling ramp. At the top of the ramp was the door into her suite. She grinned as he joined her. She knew the camera over the door was identifying her.

"Cassandra, open this door." There was a quiet buzz and she pushed the door open. Before them was the massive control room of Starship Howard Ranch. She laughed at herself and started walking toward her control chair.

"Please move toward your right 2 degrees" A female voice said from the speakers over the computers. She shifted the direction she was headed slightly.

"Please move toward your right .5 degrees."

Cassie waited until she was near the chair then reached over to touch it, swiveled it around and sat. She had been "watching" Inoue who had not moved from the doorway.

"This is your school room?" He asked.

"Yes sir, this room and everything in it is attuned to me. Come over here and have a seat, the computers will not say a thing. They have some safety software in them to try and protect me. That's why the directions to the chair. This has all been arranged by my Dad to compensate for my blindness and to protect me."

She waited for his reply which did not seem to be forthcoming.

Instead he simply walked to the extra chair next to her and sat down.

Cassie turned and began her lessons. The computer asked questions and she answered then it would read material to her for her to remember. Tomorrow it would ask questions about the material it read today. She had to hold herself back. It seemed so easy. For most of the questions the answers seemed to be so obvious. She was beginning to suspect that her 'sight' was more than just seeing things. She could see the answer to most of the questions the computer asked her. She worried that she was cheating in some way and not really learning.

But so far Cassie had not been able to figure out a way to test herself. She knew that her understanding of Spanish had greatly increased. She and Marie talked together now with no interruptions for explanation of what she really meant. She did know that at this rate she would be able to start back to school when the next semester started. That was one of the reasons Dad had for hiring Mr. Inoue. He was afraid that the other kids in school would pick on the blind girl. Cassie remembered the two crooks downtown during the rodeo and was not afraid of her classmates. She had made some preparations on her own.

Cassie felt the leather holster strapped to her right forearm that held her custom made expandable baton. It would expand to a full 36 inches with a flick of her wrist. It was white and looked like a short blind cane except she could collapse it down to a handle of 13 inches which fitted in to her forearm holster. Her parents thought it was just a backup cane. It was actually longer then her real cane when she expanded it fully.

Dinner was served in the Dining Room. It was rarely used for family meals. Normally all meals were served in the breakfast nook. Cassie sat there eating whatever Marie set in front of her.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close