Little Rock in the Belt - Cover

Little Rock in the Belt

Copyright© 2022 by UtIdArWa

Chapter 6

I knew that the destruction of the Nome Adventurer was just a reprieve. Sooner or later, both governments would be sending investigators. And they would be less likely to be as friendly. My thinking was the same as Colonel Montgomery. Two weeks of silence had passed, but we knew it was just a matter of time.

“Gideon, some of those folks are not going to be convinced that I’m gone. They’ll be sending people out here. People that won’t take no for an answer. I think I can rig a getaway now. Some friends of mine are passing close by. I haven’t talked to them yet. That would leave a trail. but if you can get me to Armstrong, I can hitch a ride outbound and be out of your hair.”

“Colonel, you are not in my hair. You are more than welcome to stay as long as you want. But I won’t force you. As far as investigators, we have a panic room that we’ve rigged up. It’s a second tank inside our water purification rig. It’s inside the black water tank. One or two people could hide there for a full month. longer if the food holds out.”

“No, Gideon, you’ll just be substituting one cage for a different cell. And there is still the chance of you getting caught out. No, I think it best I move on. All I need is a ride to Armstrong. I can take it from there.”

This conversation had been going on around our dinner table. The remnants of our meal surrounding us. Martha was bustling about clearing the table and supervising Thad and his little sister Marie. Just five years old and a bundle of energy. Her assistance couldn’t be denied or ignored. If she wasn’t tugging on my shirt sleeve, she was standing next to Hezekiah with worshipful eyes. Eventually, Martha ushered her out of the room. A gentle swat on her bottom for emphasis.

“Colonel,” Martha started, “you are welcome any time in our household. Anytime anywhere under any circumstances. But you are a free man, just as Gideon is. it would kill you to tie yourself down.”

“Thank you, Martha. I appreciate your hospitality but for you and your family’s safety. As well as the rest of the homestead, I’ve got to move on. Everybody may consider me dead and gone. Nothing more than a smear of atoms. But I can’t take that chance. It is best if I leave. I’m used to it. I have done it before. But I do need to ask one more favor, something simple. I need somebody to take me to Armstrong station. I can get ahold of my friends, and then I’ll be on my way and safe.”

Martha and I looked at each other. I could see the worry in her eyes. before I could say anything, Thad spoke up. “I’ll take you in, Colonel. We’ll take the runabout. it’s small fast and has got enough to get to Armstrong.”

Martha was about to say something when I held up my hand. “Wait, Martha, “I turned to Thad. “Ok, son, that sounds like a good idea. do you think you can be ready early tomorrow?”

Thad looked at the Colonel, “Sir?”

“Tomorrow morning is fine. I’m already packed and ready.”

Thad seemed pleased, “Great, be at the airlock at 04:00, and well lift as soon as we get aboard.”

The rest of the evening passed quietly. We spent most of the time reminiscing about our lives and memories. Eventually, everyone drifted off to bed.

At 03:00, my alarm went off. I had set it early because I was suspicious about what was about to happen. when I arrived at the landing pad airlock, I found Thad cycling the airlock with a loaded space bag. “Going somewhere, son?”

“You weren’t supposed to see this, dad. Is mom around? am I going to have to go through that?”

“No, son, she’s still in bed. but I had an idea what you were up to.” Colonel Montgomery joined us.

“Oops, seems the gig is up, kid.” he looked around. “Is Martha around Gideon. I had hoped to make this as painless as possible.”

“That’s good. I can’t stand weepy mothers. How about it, Thad? you ready?”

Thad looked at me. “Yes, sir, I’m ready.” there was a gleam of confidence and defiance in his eyes. I had known even before this morning what Thad’s plan was.

“Son, you are older than I was when I left my family, such as they were. And I have no idea what happened to them. To my everlasting regret, I’ve lost them forever. if you’ll do one thing, please don’t forget your mother and I. and remember that no matter what, you will always be welcome back.”

I held out my hand. Thad paused for a moment, then grasped my hand and pulled me into a hug. “I won’t, father. please tell mother and Marie that I love them, and we’ll meet again.”

I held onto Thad for as long as I could. Then after slapping him a few times on the back, I pushed him away. after wiping my eyes, I turned to the Colonel. “Sir, as I’m sure, has happened so many times in the past, I’m turning my son over to you. do your best in the hopes that he does better than me.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close