Extraction - Cover

Extraction

Copyright© 2021 by Lumpy

Chapter 16

Washington, D.C.

“How do you want your eggs?” Taylor called out from the kitchen.

It had taken two days to get back to the US, followed by two more days of debriefings before they finally released everyone. Taylor could probably have made some calls and gotten released early, but the Homeland people who’d been questioning everyone didn’t have their sights set on him and Taylor wanted to make sure Nash didn’t get roped in with the rest of the guys when charges started getting handed out.

On the trip back - which had also had its fair share of interviews and debriefings on the way, this time by the CIA - Taylor had worked out that only some of the people taken hostage had known about what was going on. It also became clear from the direction the interviews were going, that Northbridge itself hadn’t been in on the sale. Apparently, a group of enterprising mid-level executives decided to build their own retirement package and had managed to get their hands on the leadership of the targeting system project and convinced them to go along.

As soon as Taylor had heard that, he’d dropped Packer’s name, as there was no way that weasel wasn’t hip deep in the scheme. He soon found out that Packer’d been killed during a robbery attempt the same day that the warlord had tried, and failed, to collect on the bounty on Taylor’s head. While that explained why someone would put a bounty on his head, since Packer both hated Taylor and assumed that he’d work out there was more going on than a hostage rescue, he still had questions.

He believed in the power of good luck and had been on the receiving end of it many times in his life, but he couldn’t believe anyone’s luck was that good. The idea that, just as he was going to confirm the bounty on Taylor’s head, Packer was mugged and killed stretched the bounds of credibility. He didn’t, however, bring up those thoughts with the investigators. They probably knew that Taylor had some contact with Packer in the past, since everyone knew about the events surrounding the election, but it was doubtful they’d pieced together the animosity they’d had for each other and Taylor didn’t want them to start asking personal questions about his involvement in the rescue attempt. While he didn’t have anything to hide; the truth, and what investigators decided was the truth, weren’t always the same thing.

He did get a chance to ask about Lopez and was happy to hear the kid had made it back successfully and was alive; although his recovery process would take a long time. He was also sure the kid was going to have to answer a lot of questions about his involvement in the rescue attempt, which between Taylor’s information and information they found in Packer’s house after his death, suggested that the mission was anything but a rescue attempt. Taylor, for his part, was pretty sure Lopez hadn’t been in on the scheme. He’d been the bottom man on the totem pole and Taylor doubted either Stone or Packer would have trusted him with the truth. Taylor had a fair number of favors owed to him by people in the executive branch and he figured he’d call in a few to make sure Lopez didn’t end up a scapegoat if he was actually innocent.

He didn’t have to worry about Nash, at least. Wayne had heard enough conversation while they were being held captive and, along with what he’d heard and seen while they were still in the compound, had a lot of information on the members of the team who were actively involved in the attempted sale of US military hardware. He’d turned state’s evidence and was going to work with the Justice Department to put together a case against all the people who’d actively been in on the attempt, which meant he’d come out fine. He probably wouldn’t be able to work for Northbridge again, though. The defense contractor, even if they weren’t actively involved, was going to get a bloody nose from this and had tried to get him to stay silent to limit the damage.

He was a smart guy though, and Taylor was pretty sure he’d land okay. Claire was just happy to have her husband home. Taylor was glad for them. He’d spent some time with Nash on the way back and found he really liked the guy. He might be a bit of a geek, but he was a good man and Taylor could tell he loved Claire. Taylor was happy for them, and for himself, actually. Although he loved Whitaker and had put Claire far in his past a long time ago, the wound over how things ended for them had never fully healed. Getting to know Nash and seeing how things had turned out with him and Claire had gone a long way to healing that old hurt. He didn’t know if they’d remain friends after this, or even talk again, but Taylor didn’t feel that pang of loss and remorse over Claire that he’d once felt. It was nice to get some closure.

Besides, Taylor had his own girls to get back to, both of whom had been thrilled to see him when he walked in the door after he’d finally finished with his interviews. Whitaker had stayed out of it, since she’d been assured by both President Caldwell and Joe Solomon that Taylor wasn’t a target in any way, and would be released as soon as he finished giving statements to all of the departments involved and signing a bunch of affidavits.

When they knew Taylor was back in the US and would be home any day, Kara had come to stay with Whitaker so they could both be there when he got back. That’s what led to Taylor cooking a very late breakfast for the three of them as he tried to explain everything that had happened over the past week and a half.

Taylor was just reaching for the eggs when he was interrupted by a knock at the door.

Since the smart money was on it being someone who needed one more thing for the investigation into the Northbridge people, Taylor shut off the stovetop and said, “I’ve got it.”

Taylor had expected an agent from Homeland or maybe a messenger. What he hadn’t expected was to find Trevor Robles on the other side of the door.

“Robles! This is a surprise,” Taylor said, taking a step back out of the doorway. “Come in.”

“You’re a hard man to get hold of,” Robles said, stepping past Taylor into the hallway. “No one at Justice or Homeland would let me near you.”

“You know how Homeland is. They wanted to make sure they’d wrung everything I knew out of me before they’d take the claws out, and they sure as hell weren’t going to let a Feeb inside their clubhouse.”

“Those guys can be territorial assholes, that’s for sure.”

“So what’s with the visit? Just wanted to welcome me home?”

“Unfortunately, no. This is about Kara.”

“How so?” Taylor asked, shutting down.

While nothing the man had said sounded negative, he’d recognized the tone in Robles’ voice. He was using his investigator’s voice, where every word was a question or a prod.

“I spoke with some of the guys digging through Edward Packer’s home following his death. Everything’s hush-hush, but I know you were somehow involved with whatever Packer’s being investigated over. Do you know how he died?”

“They told me he was killed during a mugging.”

“That is the official story,” Robles said, looking over towards the living room.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close