The Story of Promiseum - Dream Walker - Cover

The Story of Promiseum - Dream Walker

Copyright© 2021 by Llwyd L. Brenin

Chapter 8: Family Secrets

When Danny fell asleep, he immediately went into Emily’s dream. They were at the park. Emily was standing by the fountain when Danny approached her. She was watching the water flow out of the fish’s mouth in the center. Emily could tell that Danny was there. Her dreams seemed more vivid and alive when he was. Even in real life, everything seemed better with him there.

“I always loved it here,” she said. “Especially when you’re with me.”

“Me too,” he said, as he put his arms around her from behind and kissed her on the cheek.

They walked around the park holding hands and talking. Danny told her about Samson, and the dream he found him in. He also told her about going into the medial Realm, and about meeting his medial spirit.

“They sound beautiful,” she said. “I wish I could’ve seen it.”

“Maybe you will,” Danny said. “I will find a way. I want to share everything with you.”

They continued their walk through the park. Then they decided to dream hop. Danny showed her most of his dreams, and they went to a lot of her dreams too. Danny even showed her a replica of the world he created in the medial Realm. She loved that there were squirrels. Before they knew it, it was time to wake up for work. While having breakfast they discussed the plans for his mom’s birthday party. The party was just after noon when the shop closed. All the guests would be there by the time they closed. They would then move everyone upstairs to the warehouse area for the party.

Everything went according to plan. It was a fairly small party, but everybody who was close to the family was there. However, something just didn’t seem right to Danny. Somehow it seemed like someone was missing. But everyone was here. He personally greeted them all. There was also something about his mom. She was smiling; it was a happy smile. But it seemed like something behind it was missing. Or someone? It somehow made this birthday party seem more like a going-away party.

After the guests left it was still early. Anny was staying for dinner, so she was sitting in the living room talking to Emily. Danny had to run down to his office to finish up some paperwork. He was there longer than he thought because the next thing he knew his mom was knocking on the open door as she walked in.

“Sorry,” he said. “I didn’t realize there was so much to do.”

“It’s okay,” Anny said. “I came to tell you that dinner was almost ready. Also, I wanted to thank you for the party.” “I just wanted to do something nice for you,” he said. “Do you like your gift?”

“It’s the most beautiful jewelry box I’ve ever seen,” she said. “I also have something for you.”

She pulled out a large wooden ring box and opened it. Inside was a set of beautifully crafted rings. It was a wedding set. His and hers matching gold bands, and an engagement ring with a large diamond set in the band.

“These were your grandparents’ wedding rings,” she said. “They have been passed down for five generations. The tradition is when your firstborn child turns eighteen, you buy new wedding bands and pass this on.”

“Thank you,” Danny said. “That’s a wonderful tradition. But I think we should head up for dinner now.”

They started to walk to the door when she saw it. It was the locket he had forgotten all about.

“Where did you get that locket from?” Anny asked.

“I got it from a friend,” Danny said. “He said I would know what to do with it when the time came.”

“What else did he say?” she asked. “It’s important.”

“He just said it belonged to someone very close to him,” Danny said. “Why is it so important?”

She pulled out another locket exactly like it. She then took the other locket and held it close to hers. They both suddenly popped open. In the locket Lance gave him was a picture of his mother, and in her locket was a picture of Lancel.

“Because this is my Lancelot.” She said.

“Wait a minute!” Danny said. “Are you telling me?”

“Yes,” she interrupted. He’s your father!

Danny had to sit back down. I should have figured it out, he thought to himself. All the clues were there. Why didn’t they tell me? Now I’m sure none of this was an accident. We’re so much alike, he’s been in my dreams as long as I can remember, and a “dream chamber!” Walter is his father! That makes him my grandfather! Why didn’t they tell me!?

“Are you okay?” Anny asked. “And why did he give you this?”

“I’m okay,” he said. “Just in shock. I do know Lancel, and when he gave this to me, he didn’t say much. He just said it belonged to someone close to him.”

“That’s right,” she said. “We were very close. I used to work for Walter when I met him. We were hiding him from someone, I think. He came to my dreams a lot, and we fell in love. Then something happened. I don’t know what it was. After that, I think I was in a dream. I thought it was real life, but my Lancelot said I had to wake up. I never saw him again. I thought he was dead.” She started crying. “I can’t feel him anymore,” she said. “I thought I could for a couple of days, but he’s gone and I’m feeling tired again.” She finished, while still crying.

“It’s okay Mom,” he said, putting his arms around her. “I’ll fix this. I promise!”

They took some time to compose themselves, then they went upstairs. They all had dinner together while Danny told Emily and Robert what he and his mom just discussed. Emily was glad that Danny finally knew who his father and grandfather were. But when they got to the part about them being separated and dying, Emily and Robert cried too. They all ended up crying together. It was then decided that Anny would spend the night. Emily prepared the day bed in her room for her to sleep on. Danny decided to get answers. Danny started by calling Walter. He went down to his office to call from that phone. That way, it would appear to anyone interested, to be a simple business call. He dialed Walter’s number and waited.

“Hello,” he answered. “Walter Hampton speaking.”

“Walter? This is Danny,” he replied. “We need to talk right now, it’s important. Can I come to your private office?”

“It sounds serious,” he said. “Give me five minutes, then use your dream door.”

“Okay,” he said, “see you in five.” Then he hung up. Five minutes later, he was in Walter’s office.

“Have a seat,” Walter said from behind his desk. “I’m guessing you discovered Lancel’s secret.”

“Why didn’t you tell me Lancel is my father?” Danny asked.

“I made a promise to Lancel and Elizabeth-Anne that I wouldn’t,” he answered. “Since they’re your parents, I have to respect their wishes. But I think you deserve answers now.”

He got up from his chair, walked around the desk, and motioned for Danny to follow. Danny got up and followed Walter into the dream chamber. The chamber was already activated. Danny didn’t wait for Walter to say anything, he pulled the meadow dream into the chamber and called Lancel. Lancel stepped out from behind a cluster of trees.

“Why didn’t you tell me about you and my mother?” Danny asked. “You were always in my dreams, but I never knew you. Now my mother is dying.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close