Tripwire - Cover

Tripwire

Copyright© 2021 by UtIdArWa

Chapter 20

I was sitting outside the barn, enjoying the warm spring sun and working on some worn harness leather, when a flash of light caught my eye. As usual, Suzy was inside. She was puttering around with some domestic project that I would soon be asked to join.

I looked upon the ridge and could see two figures standing there. “Suzy?”

A muffled voice called back from the cabin. “Yes, dear.”

I was squinting, trying to get a clear picture of our visitors, “Get some lemonade ready. We’ve got a couple of visitors coming in.”

“OK, do you know who?”

“I’m not sure. But I’ve got an idea. I spotted them on the ridge. Should be here in about 30 minutes.”

Suzy stepped out onto the porch, “You think it might be Jim? It’s been almost a year since we saw him last.”

I was pretty sure who it was, “Yeah, but I’m not sure who’s with him.”

I spent the next 20 minutes or so setting up the front porch. Shadow knew something was up and was pacing the front yard. When I heard his excited bark, I knew our visitors had arrived. Suzy came out and set the lemonade pitcher on the table. She stood next to me and hugged her hip into mine.

“That doesn’t surprise me. She’s a nice girl.”

Crossing the ford was Jim and Annalise Arteaga. The young Basque cashier at her family’s restaurant in Boise.

Suzy was near ecstatic, “Jim, Annalise, Welcome. It’s so good to see you two. We’ve missed you.”

“C’mon up, guys,” I called out. “We’ve got lemonade, and I’m sure Suzy has more than enough in the pot for dinner. So, you are going to spend the night, right?”

Jim was grinning like the proverbial cat, “Hey Matt, Suzy. It’s good to see you guys too. Just to let you know, Were up here with the flocks. You should have seen the rush of volunteers to come up this year. It seems like every boy above 13 wanted to come. There was even a couple of the girls too.”

“What for?” I asked, “You’ll be up here, what four maybe five months. That’s their whole summer.”

“Annalise and I are just up here for the move into the summer meadows. Annalise and I will be heading back down in a day or two.”

Annalise spoke up. “The others came up for you, Basajaun. They’ve come to see the King of the Mountain. Ever since that party, you have become almost a myth to the young men.”

While Annalise was speaking, I was watching her body language. I glanced over to Jim, and when he looked at Annalise, he had a look of wonder on his face. Suzy had a half-smile on her lips when I looked over to her.

“Jim, is there anything else you want us to know?”

“Well, Matt, we’ve got all these kids up here learning the sheep trade and their traditions. Along with the usual crew of herders, we’ve also got Miguel with us. He was wondering if you could come by for a get-together while were up here.”

“I don’t see a problem with that. It’s not like I’ve got a clock that needs punching.”

Suzy spoke up, “Just let us know what we can bring, Annalise.”

Annalise got a confused look on her face. “I don’t know, Ms. Suzy. Were pretty loaded down this early in the season.”

I snorted and almost started to laugh. “Don’t try to fool us, young lady. When was the wedding?”

Before Annalise could say anything, Jim spoke up, “Not till we get back to Boise. We wanted to come up here and get your blessing first.”

“Blessing? Son, I’m not a preacher. I’m just a crusty old mountain man, nothing special about that.”

“If you say so, Matt, but the Arteaga’s feel different about that.”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close