A Ten Pound Bag - Cover

A Ten Pound Bag

Copyright© 2020 by Emmeran

Chapter 139: The Huddled Masses

Contributing Muse: Tarasandia, 12 May 2021
Editor: 14 May 2021

“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
- Emma Lazarus, ‘The New Colossus’, 1883.

I checked my appearance in the coat closet’s mirror. I still looked dapper and upstanding. Today, I was still the gentleman aristocrat. Tomorrow, they would see the adventurer/warrior/cowboy that I grew up dreaming I would be. Appearance certified, I began to steel myself mentally and tried to motivate myself internally. That couplet by Lazarus jumped into my mind and I repeated it internally as I looked at myself in the imperfect mirror. Mirrors had a long way to go in the 19th century; you sure weren’t doubling any lasers off of this thing.

I strode into the back garden, stopped at the top of the small stair, and prepared to speak. The garden was full of people, but the overall sense of the crowd was not one of confidence. It was my responsibility as leader to spark that hope and confidence.

I gathered myself and projected my confidence and strength as I spoke, “In a short time we will start on a journey together, the journey ahead will not be easy and it will not always be safe.”

My voice boomed across the garden and every eye was on me. Even the servants came out of the barns. I felt a small crowd growing behind me as well.

“Our journey will consist of two teams. I do not wish to separate, but it is the only way forward. First, the men will accompany me on foot and on horseback to herd the livestock to your new home. We shall travel overland. This is the easier of the two jobs, by far.

“The women shall board the boats and herd the precious children while they also bring our belongings. Personally, I’d rather try to herd cats than children.” This brought needed laughter from the entire crowd.

“What we undertake to do with this journey, we do with good reason. There is good land that cries out for good people who will care for it, as it cares for them. This land is called Rulo and all of you are invited to build your homes there. We require only that you follow a simple set of rules. One of the most important rules is to leave no trace. The land must not be sullied or fouled. Follow that rule and the land will feed us and protect us and our generations to come.” Heady stuff.

“Tonight, we shall eat and prepare to travel. Tomorrow we shall double-check our preparations and gird our loins. We shall have urgency in these tasks and work with purpose, for there is a land just a few weeks from us, singing this welcoming song:”

“Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

I had thrown my arms wide open while I recited the sonnet, and then slowly lowered them as I looked purposefully over the gathering. My words seemed to echo across the fields.

“If you are ready to accept this invitation and follow the rules of this land, then you will be ready 24 hours hence to undertake this journey to the land of promise and freedom.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close