Spotted - Cover

Spotted

Copyright© 2020 by Olga Chinka

Chapter 19

Looking at Mrs. Whitmore driving, you would never think she was in the midst of a kidnapping and hostage situation. With ease she drove through the streets. When we merged onto the highway I knew I was in trouble.

Where was the cavalry? We passed by at least two police cars and neither paid us any attention. No one paid any attention as we drove along. The day was quickly turning to night and I was starting to panic. Surely my parents were looking for me.

Where was she taking me? Was she planning on killing me and dumping my body? Maybe she would show mercy and just abandon me somewhere.

Before I knew it, we were getting off the highway. Too scared to say a word, I watched as Mrs. Whitmore maneuvered through the town and finally pulled into a parking lot. Looking out the window I read the sign on the building, Valley Motel.

“You are going to walk next to me as we walk to the room. I will have my hand on the trigger in my pocket. Try to run or yell for help and I will shoot you dead. Understood?”

“Understood” I reply quickly. “Can I take my arms out now?”

“No. Wait until I come get you.”

She takes off her seat belt, places the gun carefully in her coat pocket and climbs out of the car. Hurrying over to my side she opens the door “follow me.”

I get out slowly, closing the door behind me. Together we walk towards the building. We pass by the office and head straight for the stairs. Any hopes I had of trying to signal the front desk worker are dashed when I realize she already has a room prepared.

We get to the second floor and walk down the outside hallway to the end of the building. Mrs. Whitmore pulls out a key from her pocket and fumbles for a second with the lock before the door swings open and she shoves me inside.

The room is like any other motel room, there is no indication that she has been staying here for long.

I stand frozen in place, unsure what to do with myself as Mrs. Whitmore grabs a chair from the table and brings it to the middle of the room.

“Sit” she motions towards the chair. I sit down as she comes around behind me. Pulling my arms behind me, “keep them still” she commands as she places my wrists together, one on top of the other.

I have the thought that I should make a run for it. Maybe I can get to the front door and shout for help. But what if no one is outside? She will kill me if I run.

I hold my wrists still as she ties them together with zip ties. She walks to the dresser near the bed and pulls out a roll of duct tape from the drawer. Ripping off a piece, she places it over my mouth, running her hand over it to make sure it stayed.

“Nice and tight” she says with a smile. “You must be hungry. I’m going to grab us some food while you stay here. Don’t do anything stupid” she says with a wink.

Mrs. Whitmore heads towards the door but pauses before leaving. She glances around the room and settles her gaze on the remote control on the table.

“Perfect” she grabs the remote and scans the channels, settling on one playing music. “Now no one can hear you.”

Without another glance she heads out the door, checking the handle to make sure its locked as it shuts behind her. I watch her shadow pass by the window.

I need to free my hands. Wiggling my wrists around confirms one thing, they’re not going anywhere. Not only are they tightly tied together, but they’re also tied to the chair.

Maybe I can somehow move my chair to the window? But then what? My mouth is taped shut and the music from the TV is so loud no one would hear me no matter how much noise I tried to make.

I’m stuck here, my fate is in her hands. I can’t panic, I need to think clearly. Surely the police are looking for me. Steve saw me leaving with her. It’s only a matter of time before everyone goes to Mrs. Wheeler’s house and find her. They will know that I am in danger and the police will find me. Everything will be okay I try to tell myself; this will not be the end of me.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close