Spotted - Cover

Spotted

Copyright© 2020 by Olga Chinka

Chapter 11

The food at the feast does not disappoint. I am feeling stuffed when my mom approaches me.

“It’s time to go home sweetie.”

I say goodbye to Taylor and follow my parents to the car. Jane is already there, leaning against the car with her arms crossed. She looks really upset.

“What’s wrong?” I ask as we start the drive home.

“None of your business” she angrily replies as she stares out the window.

No sooner had we gone through our front door, the phone starts ringing. My mom runs to answer it.

I take off my shoes and hang up my coat. Strolling into the kitchen I notice my mom’s face has gone pale and she looks like she has seen a ghost.

“We’ll be right there” she tells the recipient on the phone and hangs up.

“Rachel, that was Mrs. Anderson. Taylor is in the hospital.”

What?! That was the last thing I was expecting to hear!

My mom continues, “she started vomiting on the way home and passed out. Her parents rushed her to the emergency room.”

My world is spinning. I don’t know what to do, what to think. I just saw her! She was fine a couple of minutes ago!

“Will she be okay?” I ask, my eyes filling with tears.

“I’m sure she will honey, she’s at the best place she could be right now.”

“I need to go see her!”

“What about Christmas Eve dinner? We have guests coming over, remember?” asks my dad as he walks into the kitchen.

“I’ll take her!” Jane shouts from the hallway. “I don’t have to cook.”

My mom wraps her arms around me and kisses the top of my head, “everything will be alright sweetheart. She will be okay. Go with Jane and we will be here when you come back.”

Walking out of the house and to the car feels like a blur. I can’t believe my best friend is in the hospital. I am clueless as to what could have happened, she was fine less than an hour ago!

“Are you okay Rachel?” Jane asks as we begin driving.

“I really don’t know. I’m scared for Taylor.”

I can feel the tears running down my face. I’m terrified of what we will encounter when we get there.

“I broke up with Steve.”

I look at my sister and can see the sadness on her face. I know she really liked him, but he was a jerk. She can do better.

“I’m really sorry Jane.”

“Me too Rachel. I’m really sorry too.”

We continue the drive in silence and before I know it, the hospital emergency room is right in front of us. Jane drops me off at the front as she goes to park the car. I run to the reception and ask if Taylor is in one of the rooms there. She is, but only family members are allowed into triage.

Defeated, I plop down in a seat and wait. Within minutes, I spot Jane run into the room. Confused at the sight of me in the chair, she rushes over.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close